Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

2003 Kawasaki KDX220 Restoration....ahem...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....the stripdown has started and a few bits and pieces been ordered and delivered.....just dwelling on a few things as this is supposed to be a "try not to care about" bike for hooning around on.....

Old bashplate and kick plate removed

And given a bit of a clean and a polish and entry into the "clean room"

Original Factory header pipe looking a tad dirty and unkempt (must recall that this is a dirtbike I keep telling myself)

Power drill out and one of those black plastic grinding wheels that resembles the matrix of a Rice Krispie snack bar....and coming up clean and rot free underneath

Been waiting on some Putoline Gearbox oil...as need to warm the old stuff up before I drop the oil...then new stuff in to stop the crank seals from drying out...then it will be tank off...al other plastics off....frame/engine on bricks and wheels off, suspension....exhaust off for gritblasting prior to me painting...and just the sidestand and swingarm for grit blasting and powder coating

Air filter in need of a clean...hoping this isn't the sign of bad things to come...

Rad cap cleaned up nicely also

Header bash plate jubilee clips looked rotten....but ten minutes in Harpic Power Max X10 had them shiney as new...only for SS items only....Oh...and it strips human skin also....effective within 10 seconds...so be careful out there folks

After first wash...back end....like to clean first before removal...and then clean and then clean etc etc

Engine starting to look a bit cleaner also.....but a lesson to be learnt in winter...When you wash your bikes down with hot soapy water.....BEFORE you do so...check that the garden hose isn't frozen Solid!!!...Grrghhh...had to resort to a bucket of water and a saucepan to swill and wash it down...took me back to living in a terraced house trying to wash my Raleigh Record Ace in the back alley....2nd note to self and others....In harsh weather...be sure your washing bucket with sponges and brushes isn't full of rainwater....Mine had turned into the worlds largest lollipop...so I had to break out for a new bucket and sponge....

Thought that the gaiters were shot and hard and dimpled...Back to black and a rub down with WD40...and then a heat gun/hairdryer and they came back to life again...phew

New rear reflecter fitted so now "fully road legal"

And...because I like to know whats behind me when I'm slowing down/braking...and have no brake light on the rear...I've fitted a toekn gesture bar end mirror

All the other plastics, tank, exhaust and wheels can come off next when I've changed the gearbox oil out....and then swingarm off and front forks out for a refresh and paint to lowers...Oh...new discs F&R to be fitted...new pads of course..and new chain and sprockets also

Twi alloy rads...at least they were topped up and tasting of Antifreeze...first thing I checked when I brought her home...temps of -5 to -10 would have spelt disaster if coolant had frozen

The diagonal frame rail on the right, in front of the back wheel unbolts to allow airbox and rear spring shock unit removal...how thoughtful

Just to remind how much crud gets on a dirt bike..this was hiding behind the boot bash plate protector.....Can you see the level of fluid in the rear brake Res???.....

Nope...neither can I...and the cover is fitted with 2 No. tiny crosshead screws...so that item will be pulled off and swapped for a simple brembo plastic res with a plastic screw on cap...I'm sure I have 1 or ten spares lying around somewhere....

Rubber exhaust gasket between header and end can was leaking oil...long since gone are the 2 No. spring rings that are supposed to keep it tight...methinks cable ties or jubilee clips would have been easy enough to fit by the previous owner...But oh no

The shieny bolt toolbox has come out to play...and most plastics now off the bike...easy stripdown in an afternoon really....harder work ahead pulling caliper pad pins, calipers, axles and suspension linkages

And a few of how she was when she came to me...lest I forget

Thats all for now folks....maybe more in the week depending on weather....forced to work Outside as although KTM is sold and paid for...she's not being collected until Saturday....Bye bye Tango....Hello Kwacker

Laughing

I really don't mind doing these posts...and yup...it aint a Bimota for sure....happy to keep posting if anyones interested....keep at least one section of the Forum busy eh??
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Looks good.

When I bought a GSXR11 for playing on a drag strip I deliberately bought one that was non standard and already played with. To stop me trying to keep it standard

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDX220 resto coming along nicely......just engine, frame, swingarm wheels, and front forks left on the bike...oh..and calipers and C&S which are the next to come off...So tempting to pop the engine out and get the frame grit blasted and powder coated...but I'm sure that the Kwacker 777 lime green isn't available in powder coat....once everything is off the engine is a tiddler and easy to remove...Hhmmm....Could get it painted I suppose using my painter...would be a doddle for him...wheels and swingarm and forks coming off for me to sort so it would be just handlebars, yokes and frame in engine left lying around...dropped the oil today from the gearbox...nothing untoward so have been busy on ebay...but...grrghhhhh..suppliers saying they have "more than 10 in stock"....ordered and paid...and then messages back to say parts are on "back order from Italy"...Oh what I wouldn't give to going back to the old days of just going to a shop and seeing what you want to buy..and buying it......

First new item I tried to fit didn't....clutch lever...Grrghhhhh...now returned and on the hunt...may just get a new clutch lever with perch...at least it is just cable operated

Pictures and updates later....have a few parts to wash and dishwasher of parts to empty
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a few more shots of some dirty stripping........... Laughing

Gearbox oil finally turned up which meant I could start her up to warm the oil before pulling the sump plug and assessing the quality of the oil in her before deciding what level of resto to go by.........Fortunately there was no large chunks, shards or slivers....and all seemed good

So it was switch tap off when running before dropping the oil of course...to let her run down and drain carb and fuel line....then it was off with the tank

And then the rest of the bodywork and the exhaust

Ooo...Naked KDX...........

Air filter cleaned in White spirit and then washed and washed and washed and rinsed and rinsed...and popped back into airbox to stop any bolts/small children etc dropping into the carb

Tacky bar pad removed....Ooo...Renthal bars....

Carb...Keihin...must remember to blank off the fuel inlet before she gets another bath...I use these threads to refresh my memory as it can be sometime before I get it back together..and I'm working without a manual or stripdown exploded parts manual

For carb drain lines...does anyone use Fish tank tubing from the local pet shop???...serious question....

Parts before wash down and brillo pad rubbing (exhaust only for that bit)...header and tail can surprisingly in very good nick...only surface corrosion and no deep pitting...even at the outlet/inlet at the engine...and the bash plate guard has kept it largely dent free...should come up like new after its been grit blasted and barbecue painted and baked

Before I stripped her down I was happily riding along and the speedo stopped working...so it was off with the speedo drive cable to inspect

Looked ok this end...so give it a tug and see where the break is

Oh...that was a short tug...3 inches down and it had snapped...

Popped out later to my local Ducati dealership to pick up a sump plug crush washer...existing one was WAFER thin...clearly been re-used time after time and maybe over torqued.....Was chatting to the Sales Manager Martin who had seen the bike when I was down last week, and he reminisced about the one he had....even showing me the original zero kilometer Odometer and speedo drive cable he had in his filing cabinet...so I asked him what the length was so I could check against mine and then be able to order one from France...as evidently I didnt know if mine was an original unit...surprise surprise...he said "here.. have this one...I dont need it...complete with the odometer and horn push button"...well...you could have knocked me down with a feather...much appreciated...and to retain karma I duly coughed up my small change into their Air Ambulance Charity tin as a return gester.........

Air box lid and shock mudguard draining after being dish washed

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it...forgot to click on "large thumbnail" in IMGUR...still getting used to it...but far far better than PukeBucket ever used to be....will correct the above post shortly....

Dug out all my old parts, new parts, bolt boxes from various bikes to scavenge for useful trinkets to replace rusty bits on Kwacker

Mudguards and tank cleaned up and tank drained....picked up a Normal size number plate whilst at Duc Mcr ...even I turn my nose up at the postage stamp sized one that's on it...it literally gives you Zero defence...

End can brillo pad rubbed down....will use rust cure for a few spots prior to getting it grit blasted...even has a handy removable bolt on the underside...User manual says "remove and knock a lot to remove exhaust residue, soot etc..."

Dirty end of header to cylinder head amazingly clean and not pock marked...starting to believe its lowly mileage of under 1,000

NOS speedo drive cable and odometer courtesy of Duc Mcr..and to all those out there...whats the shiney metal rod for??? Answers on a postcard...or post up here

Shiney new parts received to date....shiney

More refurbed items waiting in the "clean room"...aka the dining room

There are new plastics coming...from Italy...headlight, front guard, rad scoops, side panels and frame protectors...mainly if they arrive in time to fit to take the bike to the Mcr show for their 2-stroke stand....and used plastics for when I want to hoon around....There was only one stockist I could find that did stuff for this model.....parts getting scarce...but not "bimota" scarce....Spoke to dealer this morning...an ebay trader...who's parts are listed with usual price...but also "make me an offer"....so I just phoned them and came up with a discount of paypal/ebay fees...plus as everything was "free postage"...as if such a thing exists...he took further monies off as all items coming in one big box now instead of one at a time...more ebay sellers should offer this

That's about it for now....now to correct the super wide screen of the previous post....
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Carb...Keihin...must remember to blank off the fuel inlet before she gets another bath...I use these threads to refresh my memory as it can be sometime before I get it back together..and I'm working without a manual or stripdown exploded parts manual

Always worthwhile.

I was out on my TZR250 yesterday. Popped into the local Triumph dealer and was having a chat. A guy came in who was a friend of the salesman wanting to know who owned the TZR. Turned out he had one in bits and didn't take enough pictures. Wants some more to remember where cables, etc go.

All the best

Katy
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Admin"]
2bims wrote:

HA you've got it easy! I bought my XT600Tenere project already stripped down. PO had taken quite a few shots but of course never the shots you want! Relying on exploded parts, Clymer and Yamaha manuals as main sources to solve the jigsaw puzzle. There were some good resto threads on the UK Tenere forum but 95% of these were using photobucket so of course now all F****d up.

Will put some shots up once I get a load of parts back from cleaning P.Coating. Suspect lots of small parts (clips/grommets etc) missing but still available if ££££ for OEM. Fortunately only some brake backing plates and the fuel pump seemed missing from the boxes AFAIK both of which I can source.

Trying not to be OCD about it but I shouldn't have found this forum if I wanted to avoid that!!

PS at a loose end I watched that "shed hunter' programme with some self proclaimed bike expert (Sam??)on it as they search out old bikes to do up. Was painful to watch as they pressure washed the Tiger Cub frame, gave it a light sand and a couple of rattle can coats before proclaiming it a great job! The tank was even worse , with enough filler put in the dents to repair my driveway.. I had to turn over as wifey wanted to know why I was shouting at the TV!

PPS 2Bims ...I like the 'tacky' crossbar pads.....I jJust ordered one for my XT!!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lamby...good luck with your resto....Rain and snow stopped play today...Tango not being picked up until Sat morning...so no space to work in the garage.......This Forum...Bimotas...does it turn us into OCD sufferers because of the bikes they made....or is it that OCD sufferers FIND Bimota and this Forum....as theres lots wrong with Jap bikes...but then they were built to a budget and philosophy of stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap.

Currently having a nightmare with the Front and rear "sliding" twin and single pot calipers....rotten steel pad pins screwed into alloy...Grrghhhhh.....turned heads ...you name it...not a drop of ant-seize in there...and overcomplicated for simple pad removal....Oh Brembo...and your simple spring clips and pull with fingers...no wonder you have such a good name

Note to self...and others...when buying a used bike from an unknown...and he gives you service items "thrown in" like brake pads....and the bike clearly needed new pads...be sure to ask him if he's "tried" and failed to fit them himself...due to seized parts....Grrghhhhh

And whats with using Philips head counter sunk screws on the chain slider on the swinging arm??????..same with the brake line clips....Had to use an impact driver the full length of the screws to get them out......

Rant over...onward and upward
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big day today...chassis and engine going up on brick stand...must get one of those pop up paddock/pit stand....but no use for any ducs or Bims with under engine exhausts....loosened off successfully all the major bolts last night on the swingarm, dog bones and rear shock and wheel spindles...in preparation for taking off the forks, rear shock assembly, and swingarm, wheels etc...fortunately they all came use with the help of a pry bar..this aftie its bits off to grit blasters and powder coaters....kickstart lever...footpegs, brake and gear foot levers, sidestand and plate and swinging arm...and exhaust, but just grit blasting for that part...shouldn't cost me much more for them to gritblast the exhaust...and then for me to paint...oh and rear shock also...currently Kawasaki Blue...bit like Nitron blue...Hhmmm...thinking white for the spring to match the side panels and number boards...and as a bit of a homage to KTM and their White Power rear springs...whatchya reckon???...Or Ohlins Yellow? but theres no other yellow on the bike
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can get you a spangly new pipe made for it - something like the ones I have just had made for my Suzuki TDRGV250 project.........

Very Happy
welshlamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume those spannies were tacked in place then removed for the full welds.....no doubt following on from several offer-up, trim, re offer, scrap, start again moments!! Very impressive!
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that actually your bike and your spannies?...Nice one if it is......what sort of price I may ask? Albeit I only would want the one pipe and end can making up.....the stuff in USA FMF Gnarly is nice stuff but not as well hand crafted as that.....£250 to Yanks...but £450 once landed at home in Blighty.......Tis nickel plated shiney though.What material are those pipes made of? Just thinking longevity and if its plain steel it would need lacquering or cam coating...but then you'd lose the weld finishing....

All parts for grit blasting and powder coating dropped off today...so next week there should be some shiney parts coming back to me.....I like working with shiney fresh parts....bolting back on clean bits is FAR nicer than removing cruddy bits....which I've more to do.....At least the wheels are now off mine and the first time I've been able to see if the front and rear discs and rear sprocket fit my wheels...which they do...Phew
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
And whats with using Philips head counter sunk screws on the chain slider on the swinging arm??????..same with the brake line clips....Had to use an impact driver the full length of the screws to get them out......

Probably JIS screws rather than Philips. And most of us trash the heads using Philips screw drivers

All the best

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never remember which are which....these aren't a straight cross....but with the curved 1/4 sides where the crossed lines meet......they'd never been out before......fortunately....so I used the right drill bot with the impact driver...strangely...you have to remove the chain slider to remove one of the pro-link bolts for the suspension unit...as it wont draw out unless the slider is removed......Also fortunately the 2 easiest ones to remove were top and under nearest the front sprocket....living their life bathed in chain lube meant they came out easy....pictures later...having a rest day on doing things...KTM buyer due today to collect also
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumour the other day that Spring was just around the corner....well I'm happy to report its Actually turned the corner:-

And with spring compressors to remove...jeeso....Off road spring shocks are LONG....took me ruddy ages clamping and winding it down to get the bottom collar off...Seeley spring compressors did the job in the end though

And the shock unit...needing a clean but action is good and no leaks....Spring gone off to powder coaters...will be coming back in white

And heres Sun in the skies...hooray....although today Mcr rain has returned...rest day I suppose

I broke out all the tools in the Big Boys box to take off the wheel, swingarm, shock, linkages etc....everything had been liberally and regularly soaked in WD40 prior to attempting...Cold chisels, pry bars and big spanners and hammer at the ready.....Ruddy nut sizes....Every time I've bought a Bimota..I've had to buy a special socket for the front wheel...as they all seem to differ...and even today....the ruddy KDX has a different size rear nut that my tools and purchases couldnt fit...so it was chinky chinese LARGE adjustable wrench out

And socket set...which for the first time...one of the small windy wrenches is playing up...will only undo and not tighten...grrghhhh...

Picture and stripdown sponsored by Monster Energy...Which was needed to self lift the bike onto my homemade Pit stand to fit under the frame

All LArge bolts had been loosened the day before...and everything came out surprisingly easily.....must be coz most stuff was sealed with baked on mud

Hooray...swing arm off....and dog bones...Woof....wipe with an oiley rag and off to powder coat she went also....post removal of needle roller bearings...which I was suprised to see....I thought maybe just brash bushes and a rod..but nope...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: