Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Bimota Owner in the US
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: New Bimota Owner in the US Reply with quote

Hey all!

I've been in love with Bimotas and funny front end bikes for years, and I just recently added a Bimota Tesi 3D to my collection. I haven't picked up the bike yet as it somewhat fell into my lap just as I'm planning to leave the country for a couple of weeks, but I can't wait to put it in my garage and get some miles on it.

Looking forward to spending some time on the forum. I've already exchanged a number of messages with 2bims who has been incredibly helpful in giving me an incredible amount of historical and technical knowledge, and has made me feel incredibly good about my purchase!

Other bikes currently in my garage are a Kawasaki Ninja H2, MV Agusta Dragster RR, and Janus Phoenix (Janus is a small American brand making retro-styled bikes). The H2 was actually just recently sold and is awaiting transport to its new home, as it is being replaced with a Ninja H2R next month.

Fun fact: The H2R is being built at the end of this month, while I am on my honeymoon in Japan. I will be 10 minutes from the factory at one point, but unfortunately they have a pretty strict no tour policy. But I'll be very close to the H2R when it's being born!

For other owners in the US, who have you all used for insurance? Most companies I've talked to won't even touch a Bimota, and the one that did basically was charging 25% of it's value per year.

EDIT: I now see I probably should have put this in General Chat, my apologies!
barnmankit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase of the Tesi - that's a motorcycle icon without a shadow of a doubt. Let us know what you make of the handling when you've put some miles on it.
Welcome to the forum! Not all of us have collections like yours but we all have one thing in common - an irrational passion for Bimota.
Kit
PS Is that the garage or the living room?
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
Knolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I can't wait to see how it handles.

The photo is from my garage. I live in a condo so own a garage at an auto storage facility nearby that I've turned into a little man-cave. That wood flooring under the H2 is actually something I'm testing the durability of since I'm considering doing the entire floor with that material to make it feel a bit more like a living room instead of a garage.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Knolly...welcome to the Forum...congrats on the purchase...its almost like we've met before........And more importantly...congrats on being able to post photos on your very first post...that's almost a miracle on this forum...old farts...new technology...old dogs, new tricks etc.....Youre probably one of only ten folk or so who have ever achieved that here

Post should be in "bimota chat"...as youre talking about a Bimota...but we don't really have rules on here...other than dishing folk, profanity or FULL nudity...theres plenty of other places for that.......We only have "other chat"...so that we can talk about bikes other than Bimotas....as we aren't all one trick ponies when it comes to bikes......And having said that...I want to know more about that Janus...looks very nice indeed.......details please....although I think I'd want a set of handlebars and a light on it....looks great for just cruising down the street if it was like that...going to the shops...or just bumbling along a windy country road....I assume it has some Japanese 4 stroke single motor? Not so powerful but fun??
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Knolly.

The Tesi is certainly interesting to ride and they draw quite a crowd generally.

First few times you ride it it appears very short and narrow, light steering , a bit vague at low speed, but you soon get the hang of it.

The flimsy head stock also plays with your mind a bit at first , but I'm sure you will enjoy it.
arsenic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ! Very nice garage, if i may suggest, you should go to Shibuya at the Ducati garage, they always have some great pieces of arts.
And if you want to see more bimota, avinton, MV and others desmosedicci, you should visit Moto corse museo in Atsugi...

You won’t be disappointed.
stockcar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Tesi. Farmer's Insurance is my carrier. Reasonable rates in my book, however I use them for all my insurance (home, 6 cars, 18 motorcycles - 3 Bimotas) and am very middle aged.
Knolly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome!

2bims wrote:
Hi Knolly...welcome to the Forum...congrats on the purchase...its almost like we've met before........And more importantly...congrats on being able to post photos on your very first post...that's almost a miracle on this forum...old farts...new technology...old dogs, new tricks etc.....Youre probably one of only ten folk or so who have ever achieved that here

Post should be in "bimota chat"...as youre talking about a Bimota...but we don't really have rules on here...other than dishing folk, profanity or FULL nudity...theres plenty of other places for that.......We only have "other chat"...so that we can talk about bikes other than Bimotas....as we aren't all one trick ponies when it comes to bikes......And having said that...I want to know more about that Janus...looks very nice indeed.......details please....although I think I'd want a set of handlebars and a light on it....looks great for just cruising down the street if it was like that...going to the shops...or just bumbling along a windy country road....I assume it has some Japanese 4 stroke single motor? Not so powerful but fun??

Haha! You flatter me. I know a few tricks!

As for the Janus, yes it's a VERY fun little bike. Probably only 14 hp or so but lightweight and very fun to throw around. I'm tempted to get a second one with a sidecar for puttering around town with my wife.

Their bikes normally have handlebars and a bit more of an upright position, I just always like something a little bit different so they made a bespoke bike for me that was built to resemble a vintage racer. I'll have a headlight on it this season so I can ride it on the road (and hopefully a vintage-style fairing soon).

They have a cafe racer (which mine is based on), a more traditional vintage model, and a scrambler, here are some photos of them from their shop:

They're doing pretty well I think! It's neat to see a specialty manufacturer just down the road from me. The powerplant is a Lifan 4-stroke single cylinder 250cc, but other than that most of the components are locally made. Very cool stuff and I love that they're small enough to make things fairly customized. It's definitely a niche market but they fill the niche very well and the build quality is great.

arsenic wrote:
Welcome ! Very nice garage, if i may suggest, you should go to Shibuya at the Ducati garage, they always have some great pieces of arts.
And if you want to see more bimota, avinton, MV and others desmosedicci, you should visit Moto corse museo in Atsugi...

You won’t be disappointed.

I just looked at photos and thost both look AMAZING. I will be staying near Shibuya so will definitely make it to the Ducati garage, but I'll pass near Atsugi on the bullet train and definitely need to make a stop at the Moto Corse Museo. Their showroom looks jaw dropping. Thank you!

Ray916MN wrote:
Congrats on the Tesi. Farmer's Insurance is my carrier. Reasonable rates in my book, however I use them for all my insurance (home, 6 cars, 18 motorcycles - 3 Bimotas) and am very middle aged.

Great to know, thanks! I've been trying to find someone to insure a full collection for a while, I'll be giving my local rep a call.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cute little bikes.

this is my Suzuki TS185 K "Rural Cafe Racer" - not a lot of power, but bucket loads of fun Very Happy

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd have one of each of those Janus bikes..but then I don't know what they cost.....I don't really do Old old skool...but that 1930's looking one with blue tank and saddlebags....yeh....I'd give that one a go...even replicated the pedestrian body slicer front numberplate also...thankfully outlawed here in the UK...so forward facing speed cameras are no use with bikers...not that I think I'd be speeding on a 12Hp...My sons French import DT125R makes 23bhp...but then it is a 2-stroke.....they should do a 2-stroke...no good for licensing in USA...but ship them over here
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
cute little bikes.

this is my Suzuki TS185 K "Rural Cafe Racer" - not a lot of power, but bucket loads of fun Very Happy

That is nice Geekay...first time I've seen it in a completed state...does that mean you've sold it now and moved onto something new???...Twin leading front drum brake looks interesting to say the least.........Any shout on this weekend yet?
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knolly wrote:

Great to know, thanks! I've been trying to find someone to insure a full collection for a while, I'll be giving my local rep a call.

If it is "collector's insurance" meaning stated value full replacement, don't bother calling Farmer's. There are no specialty insurers which offer this type of insurance which I have found to be reasonable. When you look at the cost of this type of insurance, in my experience, it makes more sense to bite the bullet and install a specialized fire suppression system and high end security system to prevent or minimize losses from the worst case scenario (ie. garage burns down or robbers break in and steal everything).
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knolly wrote:

If it is "collector's insurance" meaning stated value full replacement, don't bother calling Farmer's. There are no specialty insurers which offer this type of insurance which I have found to be reasonable. When you look at the cost of this type of insurance, in my experience, it makes more sense to bite the bullet and install a specialized fire suppression system and high end security system to prevent or minimize losses from the worst case scenario (ie. garage burns down or robbers break in and steal everything).
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Knolly, great to see another Bimota owner in the US. So few of us around, at least it appears so. Congrats on the beautiful Tesi. What part of US are you in? Kinda hard to read the plate on the H2.

You and I have 2 other brands in common, the MV and Kawi, except that my Ninja is just a basic ZX6R track bike with some battle scars.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: