Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

2003 Kawasaki KDX220 Restoration....ahem...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulDB2 wrote:
Do we now have to doff our caps to the 'Laird of Arden' ? Laughing Looks like you had a great time, did you actually do any work? Smile

Nah....we all got evicted by the Sheriffs as theyre called in Bonnie Jockland.......Turns out the owners of the building...and several others Darn south....used to live in Oz...and they did some kind of Land fraud diddle...and absconded with all the money...and bought properties around the UK like this one...took nearly ten years thru the courts to trace and bring them to task...evicting all tenants and seizing assets.

Anyhooos....get off the computer and get in that garage!!!...that's an order...GEt that chain adjusted on your DB1 ...I've forgotten what my chain link extractor and concentric adjusters look like....12 months rent at £5 per day...Hhmm...quite some bill

Work??...Never if I can help it...tis but a dirty word
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got all my tools out again today...as it wasn't:-

a) raining
b) snowing
c) blowing a gale
d) below 5 degrees Celsius

turned round to start on the bike....Aye up...where is she???

Nothing left but a giant game of concrete jenga

Can only mean one of two things....Someone stole her during the night.................................................................................................................................

OR????

Shes up on her wheels and moving again!!!!!!!!!!

Ooops....there she is

And now some close up detail shots

and of the front end...or is it the back??

That's enough for now...waiting for DPD delivery man with last few bits...got let down by Italy...as I expected....New headlight unit not been delivered/sent by factory....ruddy Italians...I buy a Japanese bike to make life easy...and end up buying parts from Italy....

On a plus side...Royal Mail sent me the new speedo cable today....and its longer than the last one...so hopefully will last a bit longer....long travel suspension extension tends to snap them...

TaTa for now

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
morebhp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice back story - I bought my first Jetski down here in Spain (a yam with the bored out R1 engine) for all the opposite reasons you bought your boat in Scotland Wink

Nice teaser shots - very fashionable pre launch PR Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrghhhhh....Just Why????????....Why....when we can allegedly put a man on the moon, plumb the depths of the ocean and find the Titanic.....do we have a situation where Mr DPD delivery man gives you an allocated slot of delivery as precise as "12.24 - 13.24"....not "roughly half twelve....and you get both a text and an email...of updates...JUST WHY oh WHY when they are an allotted 1 hr plus behind the scheduled late time of delivery....do you not get an update???? Why oh why....2 hrs of my life wasted...cant be sitting around the back working on the bike in case I don't hear the feable knock at the front door...Grrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...and do they give you a phone number to check???? Do they buggery like.......Had to kill time in the kitchen sorting through my bolts and washers etc container trays...putting right bolts, washer and rubber grommets into their respective sized section, round head, flanged, hex low and high...etc etc....now twiddling my thumbs

rant over....this was yesterday

airbox back on...teeny tiny single carb makes life easy stretching the rubber

air filter cleaned

airbox spick and span...ate my dinner out of it

nice and clean under here...had to rack my brains....rear mudguard also bolts into the airbox...has ruddy 8 fixings...think the engine has less mounts

sealing edge of air filter greased for seal

rear shock in place

front wheel dropped in with new disc

and t'other side

slackened off the brake res cover and tied up the front brake lever overnight....firmed up the lever beautifully from squishey to my lord....just need to change and run new fluids thru

Finally found a use for the £6 a-piece titanium bolts I once bought for the seat hump tank/seat fixing on my DB2....right size bolt....wrong pitch thread....to get rid of the flexible nylon bolts that Bimota used....bolted them to the removable frame rail that allows easy access to the air box and rear shock spring adjustment

made a late decision to fit new neddle roller bearings and sleeves in the swinging arm....decided the old ones were out of tolerance...probably wont see the light of day for another 15 years...used "wheeler Dealer" technique of pulling/pushing them out and back in with new using threaded rod and oversize and undersize sockets to drive/pull/..... worked a treat...not recommended to hammer them in...lot more fragile than wheel bearings....

Of course when I checked what was for tea in the freezer...I went for the frozen roller bearings

and heres one snippet of bike back on wheels and swinging arm and shock and dog bones back on and torqued up...quite handy really as no torque is beyone 88Nm on the whole bike...my torque wrench only goes to 80Nm....so I max it...and one extra push for the residual 10%....

Oh go on...last for today...Dog Bones and UniTrak linkage....as I'm now going out to hunt down the DPD man and let loose my Feral cat onto him....

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morebhp wrote:
Nice back story - I bought my first Jetski down here in Spain (a yam with the bored out R1 engine) for all the opposite reasons you bought your boat in Scotland Wink

Nice teaser shots - very fashionable pre launch PR Smile

And yet again....I am envious that you bought the jetski...for all the opposite reasons....I'm still swaying toward Portugal/Spain or France for later years.....my joints will cope better their with all this grovelling around on the ground with a spanner in one hand and hammer in the other....

Hopefully more pics...but after this weekend...I have the Mcr show to get ready for.....and have opted for a new delivery man this year...I think its time I retired my 79 year old Uncle from his yearly duties of towing a trailer laden with expensive Bimotas.......
morebhp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
....I'm still swaying toward Portugal/Spain or France for later years.....my joints will cope better their with all this grovelling around on the ground with a spanner in one hand and hammer in the other....

I'd recommend Spain. I was in Carcassonne, France in 2003 the week before I bought my first place here in Spain. It was May and 29c when we arrived. I could have bought a mansion for the apartment budget I had so I was questioning my wisdom then the following four days it was raining stair rods, 8c and everywhere seemed closed! France is great place but too far North. Much of it's nightlife seems to end at 9:30 pm too. About the time the Spanish are getting ready to go out Smile

I have visited Portugal several times and again a great place (love Portimao circuit!) but now I'm used to the heat of Spain it seems too cold. I've turned into a proper soft southerner Smile Even when I visited Portugal in August one year it seemed cold.

All great countries just MHO if I have offended anyone Wink

Sorry back to the Kawasaki.....
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more snippets.....Just have to refit the "old" headlight unit...4 bolts....and put bulb back in....as suppliers let me down on a new unit.......2 No. rad scoops to go on....3 bolts each........2 No. side panels to go on....push fit into rubber grommets and one bolt each to secure........And exhaust....2 rubber ring gaskets....1 new exhaust gasket.....4 bolts for header and end can in total..all bolts fitted to bike waiting new parts to come...No tomorrow apparently....the supplier gave the wrong email and phone number to DPD...for someones Supply in Birningham....so me waiting around for 3 hrs was a wasted time....Supplier has kindly refunded me the entire purchase cost for the frame protecters and white side panels...and has sent them out to be with me tomorrow...frame protectors only zip tie on.....So that's 16 bolts and 4 zip ties to go....fuels already in...oh and 2 spring retainers for header....Less than 20 items ...should be honing around on it tomorrow all being well

Couple of snaps

Yummy clean carb...and proper jubilee clamps in place of the "can you believe he used a cable tie????". fastening that was on the petrol tap fixing...which i say in the loosest possible way

suspension

shiney fuel tap...and how quaint...its accessible for turning from "on" to reserve whilst riding...as opposes to parking at the roadside and stripping the tank/seat unit and pulling the tank off to access.....Bimota eh???...

Engine number....first time that's seen the light of day probably since it was made...putting up here so I can check it tallies with the V5 at some point

a wheel...inside the swinging arm.....stood up on its own two feet

will have to find a replacement for this cuddy screw...countersunk jobbies...is this Japo, or other type? Over to you Katy

looking forward to kicking this again

Ooooo...a seat unit.....will be replaced at some time...its slippier than a slippy thing sliding down a greased up slide.....Nice combo units for sale that replaces the seat cover with DIY graphics that you on-line choose and they print up...and blend also with vinyl graphics for the rad scoops all in one...blending the seat into the bodywork

Does my rear look big in this???

Front wheel again...I've fitted the cable worm speedo drive with the fork lug between the 2 lugs on the worm drive unit...which puts it vertical like this...will have to check the workshop manual for that again

All calipers and masters are now on also....darkness and making tea for son cut my time short today...Oh....and fitted the chain also...with the split link CLOSED end facing the direction of travel...unlike what it was when I bought it.......What a nightmare split links are nowadays??? PaulDB2...yes your name was in vain again today.....fit chain...on rear chainwheel....fit x rings on back of link to be inserted...push through open ends of solid links...push on solid cover plate...and then apparently the split link over that....Oh to have had a chain riveting tool...that I could have used to press the blanking face into the link pins....took a fair while to compress the x rings...all 4 of them...to be able to even see the grooved slot to fit the split link onto...resorted to clamping it tight with mole grips eventually.....Note to someone out there.....If I don't see a properly riveted chain, properly adjusted , without the need for use of a riveting tool come Friday this week...there will be hell to pay.....Just kidding...whomsoever I may be talking about....was about 20mins of my life to fit....quicker than driving round to "borrow" such a tool....

So...I'm waiting on DPD man tomorrow...again....but at least can crack on with spray painting the exhaust, and setting the twin kitchen ovens to 200 Celsius... Wink

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and finally....I discovered what this cranked green round frame extension is on the RHS of the bike...under the white number board......When taking the KDX of its tower of Jenga bricks........you simply stand on the left side of the bike....grab the handlebar with left hand....lean bike against you and with right hand...grab this handle and lift....and the bike is in the air and turns on a sixpence....no need for 3 point turns on this thing...I had a "handle" of an idea that it was a handle....would like it be rubber coated though....my hands are quite delicate with the current spate of chemical handling, cleaning, scrubbing, polishing, grinding, turning wrenches etc etc

Old KDX's used to have a canvas strap behind the rear seat....but that sits too high...this handle you can pretty mush just grab it and leave arm at full extension and "hoike" the bike onto your hip and push the back end around

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 No small bolts left to put on...header and end can and 2 springs...........Left side of bike is complete....new white number plate side panels came today...together with Kwacker green frame protecters which look belting...I even had some green cable ties to fit them with........Me hopes by 11am tomorrow...she'll be done...even got gas in the tank...must check tyre pressures....

No full pictures until the Show event and the bright lights are on it...and I'll start up a new thread of anything I see that I think anyone might be interested in seeing...Happy to report that at least 2 No. Bimotas are making their way down there...not 36 of course...but heck....not that I think I'll live a long life...but I don't think that number will be beaten in my lifetime
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more snippets.....but no big reveal yet....shake down run today to see what works/doesn't...or what falls off

exhaust pre paint

and some finished snippets,,,that speak for themselves

Typical italians with the above shot, new frame protecters from UFO in Italy....I was amazed that UFO included zip ties and new shiney bolts....Bolts though had those star shaped sockets on that look trick...but you can use normal allen keys on them......And then I inspected closer....Only 1 No. form D washer...and one Zip tie short....So some good consideration ....but poorly executed in some details....ah well...as if I should have expected any better???

TaTa for now........
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final post before show weekend......So I decided as I had some time on my hands...cough...cough....To do some baking...and every good baker knows its essential to preheat the oven to the desired temperature

Doing lots of baking so both ovens getting preheated

More spare time....So I decided to hang out the washing....now where are those wet clothes.....

And now hung up on the washing line after a thorough "washing" with plastikote barbecue paint

A few bashes of wear and tear on the header....so even after painting I think I'll hide them by refitting the now polished and spruced up bash plate/stone guard

The baking process takes them to a nice dry satin finish

Ambient temperature wasn't quite in the range of 15-24 degrees as per the washing label...so I dug out the garage heater and cranked it up to max with fan assist to aid the drying process

And in to bake at 200celsius for 1 hr...set timer and time for lunch whilst the baking process takes place

All now bolted on...remaining 2 no side panels and seat bolted in place....and 4th kick...she fired up.....ah...the smell of 2-stroke in the afternoon.........First shake down run tomorrow morning....feeling just a bit knackered...2 weeks and 2 days since purchased...and over 400 photos taken...I promise "NEXT time"...it'll be a bimota.....these jap things are just too simple and easy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky pre-show shot this morning....all the 2-strokes lined up pointing out ready to ride down to the show....if only I had 2 other mates to help me ride them....save me having to do it all one by one...well..I say 2 "other" mates...almost implying that I have any at all.....

vort28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
."other" mates...almost implying that I have any at all.....

Don't be like that 2bims, I'm sure one of your mates will pop up on the forum soon and give moral support and a shoulder to cry on !! Crying or Very sad

There , There . Very Happy

Looks good, bit to clean though.
Good job you have to ride it rather than get a mate to trailer it there for you. Might get a bit of mud on it.
With any luck you can find the odd park to terrorise or granny to scare on the way to show also.
You got yo' huddy ready ?
brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front tyre looks a bit flat
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Front tyre looks a bit flat

Yes indeed Brian...was 5psi in the back...and a bewildering 0psi in the front on both gauges I tried...only tried the second gauge coz I couldn't believe I'd been riding it around with zero air in it.....good job those tired old sidewalls were so hard to put up with the strain........

Had a real hoot this morning on it...all seems working fine....heck of a kick in 3rd gear...1/4 turn throttle...1/2 turn throttles are for girlies.....cant believe the torque from a 2-stroke....

All set up for the show now...and can rest and just enjoy the weekend....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: