Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB6 Tuatara Rear Indicator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spongebob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: YB6 Tuatara Rear Indicator Reply with quote

Anyone got one they would part with? LH Rear if it makes a difference.

Any advice as to what other bikes it might have same indicators as an alternative?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Paolo Girotti of BCP has a few left...meaning maybe 4 or 5.Other bikes that used them??? Other YB's...and the DB1....other models or manufacturers.......Nope......Not a single one....Paolo is the only one person in the world that has/had some stock......and at nearly £50 reach...I passed.....there are 2 lengths of indicators though ...Long arm and short arm....so you have to decide what length you need...Paolo has only long arm ones....I do have 3 No. spare Bodies of the indicators....2 long and one short....2 of them have the metal reflectors that the bulbs reflect from....but none of my 3 No. have the plastic orange indicator lens............Also....beware...."new ones"...are over 30 years old...and the plastic has deteriorated over that period...making even "NOS" ones very fragile....they can break with just wind pressure when riding....they must have been some of the very first plastic indicators ever made.....I've been looking for some for 5 years.....but my DB1 needs short ones for the front and long reach ones for the rear...and only long ones are/were available.......Whats broken on yours or are you just missing one?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeh...it makes a difference...Left or right...as the bodies have a drain hole on one face which should be the lower underside face....but no one would really notice....apart from the owner.......
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCP's website says they no longer have any stock of the indicators......thankfully...as I nearly resorted to paying £50 each for 2 to complete the rear of my bike....but it still wouldn't be "complete"...as no-one had the short version needed for the front........
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at BCP and couldn't find any. Mine is broken on the arm. It was wrapped in black tape which I undid. I now know why the tape was there! Not sure if it is long or short but the arm is 40mm long. Lens is good and inside appears to be plastic reflector. Fronts on YB6 are flush with fairing.

I'm going to send a message to Paolo as i have a list of bits i need so will ask him about the indicator as sometimes his ebay shop has more on it than the website.

Worst case i either replace black tape or use a pair from a similar vintage bike (FZR1000 Genesis are similar)
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the reflecter....find out if its long or short...as I have bodies only for both...and not the orange lens....and have given up thinking i can end with a complete set for my bike...I'll measure the ones I have...What else you after? Always best to ask here first and undoubtedly cheaper too
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other alternative is that I buy your broken one with good lens...and good complete other side one also if youre replacing with non standard...I'be be around 3/4 of the way complete then...maybe in another ten years it would be 100% complete...another on here had 4 part complete ones....that would have made a set for me...but he simply asked "how much do you think I can get for them on ebay?"...after all the help I gave him with his bike...my response was zero...as he had sold the bike within 4 weeks of owning it anyhow
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we all end up with what we need then I'm relaxed. The lens on mine is 80mm by 47mm maximum dimension. It tapers smaller to the lens. Both left and right lens appear perfect. Right hand indicator looks to be perfect as well.

I'm still working through the bike and dont have a definitive list at the moment. Major ask is for owners manual and parts book (both on eBay) plus an air filter and OEM fork seals (i reckon i can source those locally though). Looks like the I also need the rubber strap that holds the back of the tank and i think the ECU should also be held by a rubber strap. I've just got 2 ends still attached to the rear subframe and the ECU just seems to bounce around.

Nice Termi end can like the one on his YouTube channel would be a nice addition but thats just the hooligan in me that likes to make a lot of noise!

Current need is just to go through the basic service items and then use it but I do need to try fix the speedo and the petrol light is constantly on. It can then have a proper seeing to next winter when I'll get the damaged paint sorted too.
laminator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth having a look at this site????

http://www.nonsolofrecce.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=14&Itemid=854

(link stolen from one of katy's posts)
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lamy....I've looked thru that before and no show for Bimota stuff on DB1 front/early YB's.....I've been thru this before...and probably spent a couple of weeks of my life on German and Italian ebay looking...even know their words for indicator/repeater and flasher...although the last one I'm not so keen on searching on google for...some strange images show up....

This is what a genuine complete unit looks like....

Short ones first...which it sounds like what you have on the rear Spongbob

from the plastic body at the back of the lens...I measure the stems as being 35mm long before you get to the 10mm hollow thread steel rod that bolts into the bodywork...with the back lock nut and 2 No, wires in the hollow section...one black wire...one green and black wire

These are the long version whose arms are 73mm long...indicator o/a length 152mm...the short ones are 117mm long excluding the threaded hollow rod...both carry the same size indicator lens as described

and where do these pictures come from when you google Db1 indicators??? this very forum of course....

Heres the remnants of what i bought off German ebay...courtesy of some nice man that sent me a link to them...in as same condition as when I bought them.....one with a bulb...2 with reflector backs...which are metal....and none with lenses...one is short...2 are long.....Paolo of BCP has never had the short ones...but did advertise the long ones he had as "YB early/DB1 indicators"....but he was mistaken...fortunately some muppet bought them at £50 a pop....save me doing so...LoudBike Steve in Canada had some...but he wanted $100 each...I'd rather glue £50 notes on the corner of each side of my bike...even if I had genuine ones...I'd probably preserve them and never fit them.....I once contacted a worker at Bimota that I bought 2 bikes from...the DB5R and DB6R...he spoke to a guiseppi...who spoke to a franco...who said there was a piero way down south who had a box of some 40 indicators from the 1980's...eventually after writing to him....the old man phoned my friend...and said yes...but being 88 years old...and living in the hills...he had no computer...nor internet...nor digital camera or any camera...to take or send pictures to confirm they were the right ones before paying and sending on...Contact now gone...so maybe old man is no more...

remnants of what I have left...which really should be moved on to another to carry the task

they are most weird...they each break down into a lens...a reflector...3 plastic pieces click together...2 nuts and a captive hollow threaded steel rod and then the wiring and spade connecters and a plastic bulb holder and brass spring clip...and 2 screws for the lens........and the shape of the arm in cross section????? not round, not rectangular...but rectangular with chamfers on 2 edges...I've also searched for Moto Guzzi...Laverda and other Italian brand indicators...with no success....BooHoo....

cheers for the reminder of the link though...I see they have DT125R indicators...and I need one of those for my sons bike
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

I once saw some very similar indicators used on a early to mid 1980s Moto Morini. But not sure they were exactly the same.

There are some later indicators that are a bit similar (used on the NS125F for example). I am tempted to use a pair of those on my Dieci just to save the originals (one of which is a bit dodgy anyway).

Katy
Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are mine. Apologies for the poor photo quality. I did some hunting last night and Laverda Mirage looked similar but not the same. They are the short version that 2bims posted.

Normally I'm not that fussed on originality but I with this bike I want to keep it as stock as possible (may be fragile OEM stuff safely locked away).

Martin
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SpongeBob.....Originality has its merits in everyones mind...some keep the bits on...some squirrel them away in bubble wrap and heat controlled storage units.....Bits I know I cant replace I keep like the latter....I have a slight dodgy rear light unit on the DB2...but the onlu other bike that used that unit is a Cagiva Freccia....an almost as rare bike...SO...my NOS unit that I have...listed as for a Cagiva Freccia...I have stored...along with many other Unobtainable items...and the slightly dodgy but original parts I keep on the bike...but that's coz its a runner that I ride.

End upshot is.....Make me a very reasonable offer on my one remaining short Unit (which as said...has no orange reflecter)...and its yours...easier to "complete" your bike than it is mine....as I need 3 short units and 4 orange lenses........then whether you replace with £8 a pair Chinese units at least you know you have a complete pair of originals.....

THe only upside I have had in my searches...as I searched many websites and for many other models and manufacturers...and have trawled thru dealers and spoke to many an old codger...carrying a photo in my wallet to bike meets....is that I came across a brand new full set (4 No.)...indicators for the Ducati 750F1/Santa Monica/Laguna Seca.....they weren't the same but I thought...Hhmmm...cheap...and still in the box...so I bought them to use......When they arrived they were a LOT bigger than I imagined from the ebay ad....and didn't fit the pre shaped holes on the DB1 anyhow.......At one of the bike shows a fellow on the Duc owners club was "showing" his Santa Monica...and I noted the tacky cheap Chinese indicators on it....I said...hhmmm...you saving the originals? In case you break them?...Nah...he said...Made of pure unobtainium they are...no one has them...been searching ten years to no avail........So of course I said...Oh...I have 4 of them...New...still in sealed bags and Ducati/Cagiva boxes.......

Of course he did not believe me...as I wasn't on their stand so how could a "non Ducati" man know what was or was not the indicator for his bike...even though I knew they were right..and said...yeh...same as used on F1 and the laguna seca bike...his pricked his interest...and started to revoke his prejudice...but he still bet me £100 they were wrong...and that I did not own such indicators.......He should have realised that with it being "set-up" Friday...and not doors open Saturday...that I was an exhibitor also.......So I said...cant take your bet...its too easy...coz I know I'm right....and tomorrow if youre here....I'll bring 2 in to show you...and as a trial to fit...as they are no use to me.

Saturday came...and by now...he had spoken to others on the Ducati Owners Club stand...who I have known for years...and had been informed which stand I was on...and what bikes I had...including Ducs and not just Duc engine Bimotas...evidently I was on the Bimota owners stand...he was over at me first thing.....He recognised the boxes...and even knew the part codes and they checked out...then it was "open the box" time...at which he carefully opened the tabs without tearing the card...and slowly pulled one out like it was a Faberge egg filled with nitro glycerine.........The glint on his eyes meant no words were needed...His trail of the elusive was over...and his bike could now be complete.....NEgotiation time....."you owe me £100 for the bet....that you clearly lost.....but that gets you the first 2 indicators....and for the same...you can have the other 2 tomorrow.......He already had cash in his pocket...so his prejudice and determination for him being right and me wrong was clearly faded.......Think they cost me £30 the lot posted from Italy.If he hadn't been such a k**b in the first place...up his own jacksie re his "wonderful Ducati"...he'd have got them at what they cost me........

Final upshot?...Next year his bike was back....proudly wearing....the same cheap chinky Chinese muck indicators...new ones carefully stored away...too precious to fit.......Partly I understand...moving bikes in and out of vans and trailers etc for a show damages them more than riding on the road.....
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Hiya

I once saw some very similar indicators used on a early to mid 1980s Moto Morini. But not sure they were exactly the same.

There are some later indicators that are a bit similar (used on the NS125F for example). I am tempted to use a pair of those on my Dieci just to save the originals (one of which is a bit dodgy anyway).

Katy

Come on Katy...don't let me down....there HAS to be some obscure other Italian bike that used them....where are your reknowned powers of observation and knowledge of the bizarre and obscure???...don't fail me now..having said that...I learnt for the first time on Saturday...that the LHS switchgear on a DB1...is the same as that from a 1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle....Urghhh?????....a jap bike? That predates the Db1 by 10 years????...Yup...Bimota surely did throw just about anything onto their bikes regardless of where it came from...TBF though...I think its made by the Italian company Domino...who have always made switchgear, even for Japanese bikes....but maybe this is why they are so fragile...they are plastic...yet over 40 years old......
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Wish I knew for certain. I spotted some on the back of a Morini at the Stafford show about 15 years ago. Very close if not the same.

The NS ones are not the same by any stretch, but they are quite similar and should be easy to get hold of.

Katy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: