Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB7 back from the dead after more than 10 years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
micic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: YB7 back from the dead after more than 10 years Reply with quote

I purchased my first Bimota about a month ago, found it near me in Seattle. Wasn't necessarily looking for a Bimota but was browsing the Craig's and thought why not. The previous owner had owned it for over 10 years and it never ran while he owned it. He didn't know why it didn't run. It is in pretty bad shape. Tires are bold and square, o-rings are migrating out of the chain links, sprockets are thin, fork has just about leaked out of all oil, rotors are covered in oil, it looks like it was down on the right side (the clip is bent or moved) the brake lever broken, some brake fluid has seeped out and corroded the right side switch box, the choke lever is not connected to the cable, fairings are broken where the mirrors were installed, mirrors are missing, there was some gas in the tank that smelled really bad and it was almost completely turned into varnish, the list goes on.

Anyway, I have been messing with it slowly and got it to fire today. I haven't done much, as I didn't want to spend any more money on it until I knew if the engine is healthy or not. Drained the coolant, sprayed some penetrating oil into cylinder bores, turned the engine manually (it was not stuck), replaced oil and plugs, rebuilt the carbs, and installed new fuel lines, and got it to fire from a bottle. It didn't run great, and it blew a lot of white smoke, but I got her to fire for the first time in over 10 years!!!

Now, off to order all the parts it needs and tear it down to rebuild everything that it needs, which is basically, everything!
laminator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work bring it back to life. They are lovely little things to ride.

Good luck with the rest of the work. Any questions/info/parts etc just ask here if not Bimota classic parts.

I bought a carb seal kit from litetek that help the running of mine.
pkay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Well done with the bike.

Ive been away for a while as the site locked me out but now I can get back in Yay!

I bought a YB7 some time ago and had issues with fuel pumpo and like and slowly fixed it - thank god the mechnicals are basic Yamaha. I am teying to work out what the main jet size is (my bike wont rev past 5500) so if you have your carbs out for cleaning could you take a look please?

Thanks
PK
micic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already rebuilt the carbs and I am not planning pulling them apart again, unless I can't get it running right. I will let you know if I open it again.
pkay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - no probs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: