Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB10 tyre choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glened

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart
Don't like to exaggerate but the Matris internals have made a huge difference. Fitted them my self, had to. create a spring compressor to pre load the spring before it is fitted to the cartridge, no big deal. A definite improvement, stopped a lot of the problems with the front end tucking in and chatter on the forks, also rides a lot smoother. Shame that you have to do it in the first place though! The bikes are not cheap to start with and come equipped with what I thought was a decent level of equipment. However after you start making enquiries with the various suspension gurus you find out that Marzocchi is the longwinded way to say "shite".
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think like most things the GOOD stuff is good but the mas produced stuff is just playing on the name .
Will have to get my db6R sorted then as the stock forks are not great.
glened

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I am disappointed that you have to change so many aspects of the bike. However what you end up with is biking Nirvana.

My bike is a quirky, impractical, unsuited for most things, useless tank range, little or no wind protection. However, I have managed to clock up over 22k miles on it, with the smiles per mile, of the clock😄😄😄 Went to the Picos Europas last year and met up with some German bikers all of them riding the obligatory GS... How far have you come???? they said and the next comment was on that??? What is it a toy ?? a toy Bimota...

So I guess that I am sold on the Bimota brand, a phrase comes to mind.
"Who are going satisfy with that????..... Me !!"
glened

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Tyre pressures. I have decided to go with Michelin Road 5's this time. However I checked their web site for the correct tyre for my bike... surprising I managed to input my bike which was on their list and it confirmed that they fitted my bike, more to the point was the recommended tyre pressures
Rear 2 bar 28psi and front 2.1 bar 29.5 psi. Not that far from what I was running mine at.
Will keep you all posted on how they behave.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd....I checked now for DB5R...not listed...but DB5mille is...same suspension and wheels...sort of....Says 36psi front and 42 rear.....for Pilot power 3's and 2cT's.....What site are you using? Tried DB10 on motorcycle.michelin.com and doesnt list DB10??/
glened

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

The website I was on is:
https://moto.michelin.com/DC/en/tyres/products/pilot-power.html

Strange how I ended on this because I imputed Road 5, but looking at the results they definitely show for PILOT POWER. I will have another look on their website again
Confused
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find your bike on their eventually....the search facility was a bit hit and miss....sometimes the bimotas were listed...sometimes they weren't....and sometimes they listed recommended tyre choices and sometimes they didn't...but yup....for your bike it was the low 20''s on psi.....the Road 5 tyres would seem to be for you as they say its their best wet tyre....even when half worn outperforms other tyres in the wet
glened

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, Thanks for your input, I will keep you appraised as to how they perform. I was going to start another thread on the air box, however I am struggling to get the pictures from IMGUR to show up on the posts!!. A while ago I remember that you commented on the state of your air-box being full of sand and road grit?. I have re-made the filters in an effort to stop this, (fundamental) design error having the air intake directly behind the from wheel. After try different filters and designs I have settled on RamAir filter material on the front air intake, I have also used the RamAir sock filters fitted over each of the trumpets. I will try and include some pics. Here goes

Looking into the Air Box

The RamAir socks fitted

All the air filters are cleaned and the oiled with Putoline sticky air filter oil. legacy from my old motoX days.

Big thanks to Steve for the tuition in getting these pics on board.

Last edited by glened on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So almost there with your imgur posting......once you've uploaded your images...click on your log on name top right of screen....and a dropdown menu comes up...click on images......and all your photos come up...click on one photo....and on the right comes up options for copying links and posting up....at the bottom...before clicking on "copy" of any of the links...choose "large thumbnail"...this option then stays for any other image links you copy....then click on the blue "copy" under BBCode Message Boards and Forums.....and the link copies....then under a new open window you have started a thread...right click and "paste"...link now copied in and post will show....click back to imgur open window and click left or right arrows on the displayed image and your next or previous image will appear...click on copy under the BBCode again and click back into Forum open message and paste...and repeat.....

I use Ram airfilter material on DB4/5/6...double density thick and light foam...cut slightly more generous than Bimota do on size.....My DB5R and DB6R both came from an owner in Rimini.....so sandy and sunny and rainy at times....I suspect most of the sand in the airboxes was the bad design of the airbox lid....if sand was on the bike and you washed it off...it would run down and around and under the tank...and into the airbox...leaving the sand.....Your ram air socks look like a good runaround the issue...will be interesting to see how they perform....I also oil the ram air filter in the mesh sandwich down below...aka 2-stroke bikes...using K&N filter oil....creating a more impermeable barrier for grit....at least the sheets of ram air are cheap enough...and one sheet does 2 bikes.....Not the best location for the air intake...but probably the only option they had....considering the air boxes location....On the DB4 they incorporated a steel baffle plate to stop grit, flies etc...with air passing around it....But...as always with Bimota...they re-invent the wheel and passed on that option DB5 onwards

With the walkthrough above on posting from imgur...you don't have to bother using any of the forum cut and paste and insert options....just the mouse for right click....paste...as it remembers what you have last copied...hope that helps...Once you've achieved it the first time...its childs play....or probably more apt would be ..."even old farts can do it..." as any child is more computer literate than their "peers"....
glened

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tyres fitted, plenty of tread pattern, should help the tyre warm up and nice wide side section with little or no tread to help in the corners. They feel very soft, fingers crossed that they perform OK. Off to Scotland middle of May for a long weekend, should rack up about 1500 miles. We will see how they have performed when I get back.

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the new hoops Glen...will be interesting to see what you think of them....wet and dry....and longevity....a 1500 mile trip should be a good test....that's around 30 petrol station stops for you isn't it??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: