Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Keys!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
777ljb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Keys! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My Bimota SB6 is almost complete and ready to ride, I will post a list of what I have completed later. But for now, can anyone please tell me where I can get a spare key from as I only have one. I have been to many key shops who cannot match it, my friend has a YB11 and also has the same issue. He bought a Piaggio key that was "Guaranteed to fit", but didn't!!!

Any help would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so knowledgeable about SB6 key barrels.....is it the ignition key or petrol cap key??

In the past with Bimota keys I have been to Timpsons cobblers/keymasters....and they have been able to find the key blank and have one cut...sometimes they have to photocopy your original and send it off for a key blank to be sent to them....then they phone you and you come back with your key and they cut.....
777ljb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply 2bims, it's the ignition barrel key I need to duplicate, I have been to Timpsons and the cut a total of 5 keys all of which did not fit.

The only course of action I can see is to replace the key barrel, hopefully I can remove the barrel and replace with new unless a forum member can come up with anything else!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try another Timpsons...usually they are in Sainsburys stores nowadays....but I'm not familiar with the key blanks on the SB6...if you could post a picture...both sides...it would be easier to identify....Bimota key blanks are usually made by Zadi...which can be bought in the UK....and Silca replicate them also...best I can offer without a picture or others chipping in....the issue is normally that the key cutter is using a blank that is too short and its thus not reaching down far enough in the barrel to turn the last locking tab
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I presume it is a Zadi ignition switch. Surprised they can't match it.

We have used a good locksmith before now (in Sheffield unfortunately), so I would recommend on of them.

If it is a Zadi lock then I think they are used on various Triumphs as well as Italian bikes. Might be possible to find a matching lock.

Katy
gunslinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my SB6 (mk1) - there was also just 1 ignition key. And one seat hump key.

The ignition cylinder was hard to unlock, so I simply found a new one on ebay. Rather cheap with 3 keys. Brand new GSXR1100 fits perfect.

The seathump however is another story. But got a spare made up. Its a Zardi or something... but a proff. key expert found it after some searching.

happy hunting
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seathump lock fell apart on mine. I replaced it ... its just a cheap cam lock for a glass door
https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/products/3847329/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Enclosures_And_Storage_And_Material_Handling-_-Cabinet_Hardware%7CCabinet_And_Drawer_And_Enclosure_Locks-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIifS5jOqt2gIVTpPtCh3IuAWQEAQYASABEgL6sPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you need to buy one and have length options you need a 17mm
777ljb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies, it is a Zadi ignition lock. I looked at the GSXR1100 ignition lock but they seem to have 4 wire pins where as the Bimota has 6.

I looked at changing the key barrel but cannot find a way of removing it from the sleeve so will have to persevere and see if a locksmith can help.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would guess that another lock has the same fittings so you could swap the entire lock rather than just the barrel.

Katy
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried an automotive locksmith ???
stockcar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if 6R key is the same??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: