Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Bimota Owner in the US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA Cycleworks for ExactFit Timing Belts
https://ca-cycleworks.com/

Motomfg for some decent tools for servicing your Duck engine
http://www.motomfg.com/DUCATI_TOOLS_s/1.htm

Motolectric for starter cable upgrade (do it unless you want to hassle making your own)
http://www.motolectric.com/makes/ducati.html

I'll come up with more info later as dinner is calling me...
Knolly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Melikes easy questions.....folk generally refer to valves or cams "per cylinder"...unless theyre playing the bigger numbers are better game when they multiply...16 valve...20 valve etc........Early Tesi 1D's stole engines from Ducati 851's and 888's and they were the watercooled 4 valve twin cam engines (per cylinder)...air cooled ducs like Tesi 3D are 2 valves per cylinder and single cam per cylinder......Belts are cheaper than the twin cam 4 valve units....as they are longer going over 2 cams at the top.

Duc OEM or aftermarket....not my decision that...like advising on which tyres are best...which is a good analogy also......Duc belts are now reinforced in the center with Kevlar....standing still is what kills them as one point is constantly bent over the top cam...so cranking and rotating the engine periodically alleviates this...also keeps engine oil lubing the top end....

Where do you buy tyres from and what are your spanner skills like?...I buy tyres from a source that constantly is turning over supply....so the date stamp on bike tyres is never more than a month or 2 old.....Same applies to Belts...do you trust the source not to pick up a pair of belts from 15-20 years ago off the shelf??...yup...belts from that period would fit....If no spanner skills and youre entrusting it to a Ducati dealer...then he will fit OEM with a known date and he is then warranty providing his work and the belts and fitment...the engines are known as an "interference" engine...in that the valves and the pistons occupy the same space but at different times...those different times are kept so by the cam belts...if they snap....the valves will occupy the same space as the piston travelling towards it at 10,000 revs per minute..........Hhmmm....I dont see any great price difference really either...so down to you.....3 things I dont compromise on are tyres, brakes and batteries...all false economy...engine oil and filter changes to a lesser extent...but I suppose with Duc engines I'd say cam belts also...I have been known to have the same ones on a duc engine for some 15years plus...yikes...and know some fellows with 18 year old belts on a duc motor in a bimota bike....This is all with 2-valve single cam motors though...NOT a 4 valve twin cam...which is not your motor....That's my views and after that its down to your choice

Thanks, this is great information. Fortunately an old friend that is a Ducati Master Tech and has worked on Tesis before apparently convinced his shop manager to let him work on it so I should be good from that perspective. I do have a decent amount of wrenching skills but am horribly short on time these days, so I'll leave it in the hands of someone more capable.

quikduk wrote:
CA Cycleworks for ExactFit Timing Belts
https://ca-cycleworks.com/

Motomfg for some decent tools for servicing your Duck engine
http://www.motomfg.com/DUCATI_TOOLS_s/1.htm

Motolectric for starter cable upgrade (do it unless you want to hassle making your own)
http://www.motolectric.com/makes/ducati.html

I'll come up with more info later as dinner is calling me...

Thanks, that starter cable upgrade is incredibly appealing since it takes me a long time to start the 3D. What model should I be buying the cables for?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 valve 1000 and 1100cc motors...they even mention "Bimota"

http://ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycleworks-products/timing-belts/tb1100

A good battery with high Cold Cranking Amps is also a worthwhile investment on a Ducati engine........If the starting is sluggish it could throw out the sprag clutch and that's LHS crankcase cover off to replace......I haven't used or fitted the high copper cables kits on any Ducs but I do hear good reports of them whirring the engines up faster

The only issue with the copper cable kits is whether they do one for your bike...as you cant say "ooo...that's the same engine as mine".....coz Bimota move around all the ancillaries it connects to like the battery for a start...on DB5, DB6 and Tesi...the battery is on the LHS down low....then up high and under the tank...then middle height all forward behind the front wheel under the airbox....DB2 under the Tank...DB4 under the seat....DB1 behind the oil cooler etc etc
Knolly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
2 valve 1000 and 1100cc motors...they even mention "Bimota"

http://ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycleworks-products/timing-belts/tb1100

A good battery with high Cold Cranking Amps is also a worthwhile investment on a Ducati engine........If the starting is sluggish it could throw out the sprag clutch and that's LHS crankcase cover off to replace......I haven't used or fitted the high copper cables kits on any Ducs but I do hear good reports of them whirring the engines up faster

The only issue with the copper cable kits is whether they do one for your bike...as you cant say "ooo...that's the same engine as mine".....coz Bimota move around all the ancillaries it connects to like the battery for a start...on DB5, DB6 and Tesi...the battery is on the LHS down low....then up high and under the tank...then middle height all forward behind the front wheel under the airbox....DB2 under the Tank...DB4 under the seat....DB1 behind the oil cooler etc etc

Thanks, I should have been more clear, I meant which model for the cable kits since I didn't see a Tesi listed. I've exchanged emails with the manufacturer and he's interested in making one specific to the Tesi 3D so we'll try to work something out! Thanks for all of the advice.

As requested, closeup of the medallion:

Spent all day riding it last Saturday. WONDERFUL bike. I'm in love.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the close-up....Looks like a Bob Steinbugler special of Bimota spirit....and as youre such good friends give him a call and he'll let you know how many came to the states...teehee....USA were very proud to have individual frame numbers for Bimotas for each year of production....increasing bragging rights down the pub....serial no 0000001....1994....serial No 000001 of 1995 etc etc...for each model....seemingly Americans go big on this sort of thing.

High grade copper...yeh...looks like not listed.....you can fit them TOGETHER with your existing cables...as electric is like water...it takes the path of least resistance...evidently you'd have to strip off your own initially to measure lengths and size of end tags, hole diameters etc...if you cant measure in-situ with string.......I'd probably not tell them there maybe only 5 owners or so in the USA that would be interested...as a special one off set may cost you more as a result
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info though....223 examples of the Tesi 3D single seat (monoposto) were made between 2007 and 2014...so just over 30 bikes per year....and at their peak Bimota were exporting to over 50 countries worldwide,,,do the Math (as they say in USA)...chances of turning up somewhere...anywhere...and there being another there?????????....TBF...that's pretty much true of any model Bimota ever made.

The isle of man TT is a bit of an exception...as 25,000bikers descend onto a small island all at once and you will see more than your own there...But..only once in 8 years outside of the TT have i seen another Bimota of any kind at a place I've been to without previously arranging to meet said Bimota and owner
Knolly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeky!

You're right about Americans, we love feeling special and unique. I certainly can't hope to make friends based on my personality so I have to do it with lots of carbon and a low VIN number on my toys.

I've managed to see a 1D and 2D in a collection before but never a 3D. I'm sure the uniqueness of it is secure. It's still hard for me to believe I got one of my dream bikes after all of these years. It's an absolute joy to ride and I'll be putting a lot of miles on it.
phil-short

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knolly wrote:
Cheeky!

You're right about Americans, we love feeling special and unique. I certainly can't hope to make friends based on my personality so I have to do it with lots of carbon and a low VIN number on my toys.

I've managed to see a 1D and 2D in a collection before but never a 3D. I'm sure the uniqueness of it is secure. It's still hard for me to believe I got one of my dream bikes after all of these years. It's an absolute joy to ride and I'll be putting a lot of miles on it.

That sums up owning a Bimota! You could do worse!
arsenic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knolly wrote:
Cheeky!

Bimota classic parts does have a 3D actually, if you want to buy it :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: