Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Brushed alloy refurb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Brushed alloy refurb Reply with quote

the previously neglected exhaust cans on my SB6-R were looking really shoddy. So whilst I have the seat unit off, I thought I would try various recommended ways of bringing them back to near-standard finish. In the end, the much vaunted WD40 + 1000 grit wet & dry came out on top.

r/h silencer after treatment......

and a matching pair..............

finished off with a good dose of Autoglym Paint Restorer, which leaves a nice matt finish.

Last edited by GeeKay on Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and whilst the tail unit was off, I set about cutting the umbilical cord that leaves the number plate unit dangling from the tail unit every time you remove it..........

and finally, the wiring - usual Bimota madness Evil or Very Mad

number plate light:-

black wire from unit / black wire in harness
yellow wire from unit / blue wire in harness

r/h indicator:-

blue wire from unit / green/red stripe wire in harness
light blue wire from unit / black wire in harness

l/h indicator:-

red/black wire from unit / green wire in harness
blue wire from unit / black wire in harness

the remaining orange, blue and black wires go to the stop/tail lamp.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed Geekay....and good to see you didn't go the Bling shiney route with the end cans........

Yup...usual wiring....odd though that they didn't fit a one piece connecter block for easy disconnect like they did on many other models....must have been their rushed economy years during Sb6R production...
stockcar

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might try the same trick if i ever found where i left mine.............. Laughing
stockcar

might try the same trick if i ever found where i left mine.............. Laughing
stockcar

Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Yup...usual wiring....odd though that they didn't fit a one piece connecter block for easy disconnect like they did on many other models....must have been their rushed economy years during Sb6R production...

Possibly better than the connector used on the Dieci under the seat.

I replaced the connector on mine with a Superseal connector. Should be a lot more water proof (and the other advantage is that it only fits one way round, unlike the original)

All the best

Katy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Very nice indeed Geekay....and good to see you didn't go the Bling shiney route with the end cans........

Don't do bling, me....................

There is a block connector at the rear of the motor, on the l/h side, that enables the wires to be disconnected for seat unit removal.

All the wires have connectors, but they are hidden away under a rubber flap that has 3 x 10mm nuts securing it to the tail lamp assembly. Then you have to grovel about trying to pull the connectors off the back of the tail / stop lamp. I have just made it a lot easier for myself.

2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right...so there is a block connecter for easy removal...but the rear plate and light unit fits to a subrame that ISNT connected to the seat unit...so all a bit useless having the quick disconnect block then??
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the carbon fibre "mudguard" / tailpiece bolts directly to the seat unit, and the indicators and number plate lamp have bullet connections that can be undone (but to reach them you have to unbolt the tail lamp to release the rubber flap that covers them). The tail lamp wiring doesn't have any bullet connectors and, as the tailpiece has to be removed to allow the seat unit to come free. it is from these 3 wires that the unit hangs from the seat when detached.
If - and it's a very big if - you can reach inside the tail lamp you can (maybe) remove the connectors from the back of the bulb - I had to use a pair of pliers to remove 2 of them.
It's all very silly.

And so Bimota................................... Sad
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is the offending item.................

as you can see by it's shape, it hugs the rear cans so won't lift out with the seat.
The eagle-eyed amongst you will also notice how the number plate light moulding isn't symmetrical with the rest of the unit.......... Evil or Very Mad
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's really silly....so those top three visible allen ss bolts are standard? bolting into the seat unit but cant be removed unless you can disconnect the rear light unit??????
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct - and very silly.
The 3 bolts should be domed-headed but I don't have any in that size (though they are on order).
vort28

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Italian's !!!!
SB6 has a connector by the frame mount that unplugs the whole seat unit. DB4/vdue all have the same , so I guess once they got it right they thought they would have a bit of a laugh and mess it up again.
Although having said that the SB6 connector is not waterproof so that is probably why they removed it on the 6R.
DB4 ans vdue have nice watertight multi connectors on them.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SB6-R has a similar multi-pin connector down by the output sprocket / seat mounting point on the l/h side. May be a different design to the one used on the SB6, but the one on my 6R functioned OK after 150 miles in a deluge en route to Germany last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: