Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 reserve switch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: YB10 reserve switch Reply with quote

Many moons ago I posted I was looking for a reserve switch for my Bo Derek. Someone (on here) said they had one and wanted 100 quid plus P+P - WTF.
Anyway after much frustration I finally found one, looks just like the real thing and works fine. I checked the solenoid and it opens and closes like it should so Yaa-Who. So if anyone is in need of a replacement switch drop me a line and I'll send you the details - free of charge. God bless Ebay

But, I decided as I had her naked I would take the opportunity to give her a good clean. In front of the motor on the right hand side is small " tank " - best description. The mounting bracket has broken. I checked the Yamaha workshop manual and couldn't find any reference to it and checked on Bimota Classic Parts and there is no reference there. I'm guessing it is an overflow catch tank for the fuel tank and carbs. I removed it and re-routed the line from the carbs.

My question is can I ride without it or should I replace the broken bracket and remount it. The fuel tank line wasn't attached to the tank.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert here, but if you can throw a pic or two onto the forum it may make it easier to recognize.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: photo Reply with quote

Yea did think of taking a pic but I always seem to have problems downloading - or is it uploading - them to the site. I'll have a go.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: pic Reply with quote

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/jamesfurey/DSC_2191_zpsd3ruuqvj.jpg
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I suspect it is a carbon cannister, to absorb fuel fumes.

I would love a source of the reserve switches. I did manage to find them, but only a trade supplier selling in bulk.

Katy
laminator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the reserve switch or the actual fuel solenoid valve your after?

Bimotanige knew/knows where to get the solenoids from as he purchased one for his YB7 before the accident.

I might be able to help with the switch if I knew what it looked like. I've got a grey 'rocker' style switch on the YB9, a red latching round transparent push button with red illumination on the YB7, just a small red LED on the YB4, etc, etc Smile
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: canister Reply with quote

Hi Katy

I did shake it and it felt " full " - heavy so yea you may be right. It is a US spec so given US emission laws who knows. I took it for a quick spin this afternoon and rode fine so I guess it's fine to ride without it.

Can I pm you the switch stuff. I got it on Ebay from a company in the UK. Cost less than 5 GBP all in. The only difference from the standard YB10 switch is it isn't illuminated, my bad never read the small print. But I tested it and it works so I wired it in and will use it till I source an illuminated one.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: switch Reply with quote

Hi Laminator

It's the actual switch. The fuel solenoid valve works fine I tested it. I've seen a solenoid on Ebay for sale.

The switch is round 11.5 mm dia and just over 40mm long from top to bottom. Latching and illuminated. The are three connections/wires, sounds like the YB7 switch.

I checked with Bimota Classic Parts and was told the are no longer available

Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a US bike, its definitely the vapor canister. I had to do a canistersectomie on my BMW R11S. Made ZERO difference in the performance or fuel economy.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: canny Reply with quote

Thanks mate. I didn't even notice it before. I took Bo for a spin on Friday and like you said it felt no different at all. I'll try and get the broken bit of bracket off.

See you no longer have the SB8, do you miss it.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Thank you. If you can let me know the source I would appreciate it.

By the way, can you remember how you removed the switch? Last time I tried I couldn't get the switch out at all without using more force than I was prepared to use.

The switch on mine looks the same. But mine had a label for the make / model. Marked as a "Miyama DS-700".

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: canny Reply with quote

BimotaBoy wrote:
Thanks mate. I didn't even notice it before. I took Bo for a spin on Friday and like you said it felt no different at all. I'll try and get the broken bit of bracket off.

See you no longer have the SB8, do you miss it.

Just block off inlet/outlet lines and you are good.

I miss opening the garage and seeing it there. My rule of thumb is to ride everything I own and the SB8R was no joy to ride on the streets or even in the slightest of traffic. Its a beast on the track though but I wouldn't want to risk tracking the bike and accidentally damaging unobtanium carbon fairings. It sold to a local collector who incidentally (or not) is an expert in Suzuki TL-R bikes. The SB8R was a perfect fit for him, physically and technically. I am glad it remained local, at least for now.

I can say that for daily riding, I enjoy the YB10 much more. Its a more forgiving bike than the SB8R.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: