Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 reserve switch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laminator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at quite a few latching red LED's but not found one that is the same. Although I have found some I'd be happy with, anyway....

I dug out the old set of clocks from a YB7 and they have the reserve light push-button on them. I believe its the same as the original, if not the original itself.

The reference on it is DS-700 although I couldn't find a match online.

If you have no joy finding one, PM me your address and I'll unsolder this one to get it out, then send it to you. I have put a 12v supply onto it and the LED is working

Bud977

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had assumed this part was taken from the donor FZR1000. Does anyone know how the reserve light is reset on a stock FZR1000? I had a look at the parts list but couldn't find anything similar in the instrument cluster or electrical sections. BTW the FZR fuel level sensor is still available.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YB10 arrived with the reserve switch and mechanism deleted. I went on to install Acerbis petcocks opened to reserve. Key is to keep keen eye on the odometer. I don't let it go past 150km, or just under 100 miles between fill ups. The 100 mi marker has been my rule of thumbs on pretty much all my bikes.

I know this is sort of a "chicken sh!t" approach to resolving the problem with the reserve switch and it doesn't add to originality of the bike, but its sure is cost effective and much more trouble free, unless of course one forgets to keep track of miles between fill ups...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a very non standard switch wired in, cable tied to the fairing subframe at the moment! I would like to replace it with a standard style one, and like a source of a few of them.

The original Yamaha system is quite different. Think it is the same as the FZ750, and as such uses a sensor in the tank. When the fuel level drops to a certain level the fuel pump cuts out. The reserve switch just forces the pump to run even when the fuel level is below the sensor.

I have a suspicion my fuel petcock is playing up now. Seems to flow when on or off. Found this out when it ran out of petrol when pulling on to the drive Laughing .

All the best

Katy
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: YB Reserve switch Reply with quote

There is so much scope for fuelling woes on these bikes - carbs difficult to set up and difficult to get on and off and prone to wear - main fuel cock which seems to flow (or not!) what ever position it's in - tendency for fuel tank to crush pipe/s supplying the pump, once the motor is warm and has softened the fuel hose - failure of cheap and cheerful reserve switch - failure of points in the pump - inaccessible idle screw - inaccessible mixture screws.

Fortunately, they make up for all this when they're running properly - or at least I think they do - it's been so long since mine did Shocked
laminator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may of found a supplier??

https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalog/pushbutton/product-lines/d16-series-illuminated-pushbutton-switches#.Wvwap4AvyUk

This looks like the right one and is made by a company called Miyama. I have sent a request to them for availability and cost.

edit - this is the one fitted to the clocks I have. Even though it states 'Rating: 3A@125 & 1A@250V AC' it does illuminate when 12v DC is applied.
https://www.mimic.co.za/product/ds700-f1c

Last edited by laminator on Fri May 18, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:

The original Yamaha system is quite different. Think it is the same as the FZ750, and as such uses a sensor in the tank. When the fuel level drops to a certain level the fuel pump cuts out. The reserve switch just forces the pump to run even when the fuel level is below the sensor.

Katy

On the FZR1000, the low fuel level triggers one cylinder to cut out. The push button is an acknowlegement of low fuel and re-starts that cylinder.
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: YB Reserve switch Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
There is so much scope for fuelling woes on these bikes - carbs difficult to set up and difficult to get on and off and prone to wear - main fuel cock which seems to flow (or not!) what ever position it's in - tendency for fuel tank to crush pipe/s supplying the pump, once the motor is warm and has softened the fuel hose - failure of cheap and cheerful reserve switch - failure of points in the pump - inaccessible idle screw - inaccessible mixture screws.

Fortunately, they make up for all this when they're running properly - or at least I think they do - it's been so long since mine did Shocked

So true. On my race YB8, I have made sure I've kept the original Yamaha fuel hose to stop kinking. It's a heavy duty hose with a braided cloth cover and very resistant to kinking. I use one outlet with a high flow TZ250 fuel tap so no blockage problems.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: YB Reserve switch Reply with quote

Oh, and did I mention how critical float height is and how far it can end up from the 12-14mm recommended by Mr Yamaha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: