Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Lights out..............
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Lights out.............. Reply with quote

I have a dilemma - the stop lamp would not work on my original tail lamp unit, so I bought a replacement (well, 2 actually) suspecting the original had expired. I need a stop lamp or two for the MOT.
Both new units came equipped with dual-filament bulbs.

Now here's the dilemma -

If I connect the black earthing wire to the connector on the single bulb holder and connect the blue wire (tail lamp) to one of the 2 bulb connectors and switch on the ignition and the side / headlamps, one of the filaments illuminates. If I then take the blue wire off and put it on the other bulb connector, the other filament illuminates. This proves that both filaments within the bulb are OK and also that both bulb connectors are too.
But, if I connect the orange (stop lamp) wire to either of the bulb connectors and depress the back brake lever or pull the front brake on, nothing - zilch - same as the original unit. Having zip-tied the front brake lever so that the brake switch is activated, I removed the orange wire from the bulb connector and tested the voltage at the cable end - 11.75 volts. If I released the front brake lever - 0 volts.
This happens when tested on all 3 tail light units - there is sufficient power to illuminate the bulb, but it won't.
Where is my stop lamp electricity going?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is a graphic display of the problem - stop lamp feed wire (the orange one) enabled.....

and connected to the light unit..........

Bud977

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done a good series of tests there GeeKay. So it must be the Italian electrical factor coming into play Surprised

I suspect it could be the switch or a bad connection somewhere. It can pass the voltage under no load, but can't pass the current when activated.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

All I can suggest is cleaning all the connectors between them, just in case a dirty connector cannot cope with the current draw.

Or as a check, run a wire from the rear brake light switch directly to the light (bypassing the loom entirely) to check it illuminates the brake light when the brake is pressed. Almost certainly will.

My guess would be where the front and rear brake light wires meet.

All the best

Katy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katy

thanks for your input.
Tried a wire direct from the rear brake switch - same result - no glow Crying or Very sad

Beginning to think the fault is with the supply wire(s) - going to connect another battery feed to the rear brake switch and a wire direct from the switch to the stop lamp and see what happens then.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No earth to the brake light circuit
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at all the fuses? Best I can offer....electrics be the devils work to be sure....having said that ....sorted out PaulDB1's non running 900ss this morning....no spark to rear cylinder....changed plugs over...still no spark...changed over Kokusan ignitor packs.....still no spark...went to change over the coils from vert to horiz and yup....one HT wire to rear plug cap had corroded away and fell off the coil...nice green copper wires....clipped it back until fresh copper...rescrewed it back on...fresh fuel and a 4 litre diesel Beemer engine connected up to battery cables and she flew up in a rage...eventually.......So inspired it was onto the YB6....Japanese technology and wiring went she cranked like billo oh for days...until an eventual fluff of a piston and carb firing up....and then one by one all 4.....I'd forgotten what a standard Ducati and Yamaha engine sounded like with standard exhausts....sound like my sons Dt125R...the only bike in the garage running on standard everything including pipe and can.....I think a flys fart is louder than the baby Yammie DT
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mille grazie Steve for your efforts today, very much appreciated. Couldn't believe how recalcitrant the Ducati was to turn over even when connected to the Beemer's battery, I think we scared it when we fired up the Beemer to boost it further! Mind you it is only a 3 litre engine despite the 640 badge, though it does have twin scroll turbo to help.
Amazed by the durability of the YB6 battery by comparison. It took a while but you eventually teased it into life one cylinder at a time. Sounded sweet after it had warmed up but a lot quieter than the Ducati, for which I would love some high-level Termignoni pipes on it a la Superlight.
Next time the YB9 Shocked !
Seriously, many thanks for today.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....fake Beemer Badge eh???.....Should have guessed....Big Boy trousers on the outside...small boy Y-fronts underneath....yup...you had to wind the motor up to encourage the "pup" to crank and fire......its a hard life being a battery in a Ducati frame...Nah worries Paul....when you have a new battery it would be prudent to snip and refit and remake the HT lead on the horizontal cylinder also at both ends like we did on the vert cylinder...I cant imagine it is that much better beneath that Coil.....and then we can run new fluids through the brakes and clutch....DOT 4 please....from a sealed container, preferably younger than the tyres.....
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ... BMW badges used to accurately depict model and engine size but not always as easy to decipher these days. Still, over 300 bhp, tons of torque, twice the fuel economy of my previous 645 V8 petrol and only £155 road tax, unlike say.... an M3!
Dot 4 already on shelf, one bottle unopened, other bottle part used on DB1 and definitely much younger than the tyres Laughing .

Last edited by PaulDB2 on Sat May 19, 2018 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
No earth to the brake light circuit

Isn't it earthed at the bulb?

Only a live in / live out on the front and rear brake switches.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You a live feed to the bulb but its not going anywhere after that. When you tested the feed you earthed the tester and it read a current / voltage, so it would follow that the bulb is either not getting that supply or not earthing.
gunslinger

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a high risk of You having a bad connection from main harness (brakelight switches) to your tail unit. on SB6 its a 6 wire connector close to the chain (lots of dirt water dust)

So: clean plug and check for good assembly friction

"it is allmost all ways a simple cause for a simple fault"
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunslinger wrote:
There is a high risk of You having a bad connection from main harness (brakelight switches) to your tail unit. on SB6 its a 6 wire connector close to the chain (lots of dirt water dust)
So: clean plug and check for good assembly friction
"it is allmost all ways a simple cause for a simple fault"

Yup none of my lights are currently Laughing working.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be time of the year with Bimotas...DB2 rear light has gone out...fortunately its one of the filaments on the dual filament bulb...I swear I replaced it 5 years ago so am not happy with its longevity...ruddy brake light filament is still fine though Laughing

Oh...and had a 8hr trip on DB5R today...came back in the dark...forgetting that the back lit display for the speedo element of the KOSO clocks went AWOL some 5 years ago....so I had no idea of what speed I was doing....he said politely to the waiting attendant police officer........ Laughing

If it aint "too broke" dont fix it...my new motto in life
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: