Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

General Everything
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: General Everything Reply with quote

I've been fortunate enough to have had a fair few rides out recently with other Bimota owners.....although on all 4 occasions....they've chosen not to take a Bimota out ....Hhmmm....and my ride has either been DB2, DB4 or DB5R....all bikes with clip-ons and relative decreasing or increasing levels of comfort and fit.......DB2 being the worst...and the 5R being the best.

Other riders have all been older than me,,,,,and have all chosen a bike with handlebars and more relaxed riding position...be it a CX650 Turbo Honda.....or a Kwacker Z1300 in Eddie Lawson Colour scheme....or an MV Agusta 800 Tourismo, BMW GS Paris Dakar and even a Vincent Black Shadow....

DB5R has stood its ground well...with some journies of 250miles plus in a single day....all trips have been just one day trips....Its just me thats not stood up to the trips so well....age....unfitness etc etc....

So.......I've dragged out the DB6(R) to recomission her after an 18month layoff and get her prepped and ready for valve clearances, shims, new belts....etc etc.....and start using her instead for said journies (if said mates havent had enough of me that is....)

Just for the record......with a deep clean and check undergoing....the curved Oil radiator at the front of the bike...same as used on the Tesi 3D....has "KTM" written on it in white lettering on the underside...such is the level of cleaning and checking I undertake...so handy to know if anyone needs a rad for their DB6 or tesi 3D....

Nearly all done with her and she's running fine with her new battery and new tyres fitted before her slumber.....

Due to the couple of thunderstorms in the last 2 days I've been working outside with the bike and wheeling her back in quickly when rain comes....Ahem.......Yesterday I couldnt find Cat....She normally comes running home tout de suite when rain falls....but after 3 hrs still no sign.....although over watching the F1 qualifying I heard the occasssional faint Miaow....With no cat still....I operated the electric garage door opener...and...as if by Magic....the cat strolled out......oops.......

More rain again today....and no cat.....garage closed for only 20mins whilst thunderstorm passed over....open sesame....Ruddy cat....yup...twice in 2 days....She now seems to be quite taken with the garage...never budges an inch when I start any of them...and recognises the noise when I return home be it on any of the bikes or the 2strokes and comes running from where shes been playing out within minutes of my return....

Here is the poor felon......Now standing guard in said garage...TBH...I'd probably like to sleep in their meself sometimes....afterall it is well insulated...carpetted and with windows and a heater and dehumidifier in winter also........must remember to put a bowl of water in there for next time I close her in.....

I've tried to get her out....but shes a master of hide and seek....and far better at crawling over and under the bikes than I could ever be...if only she could turn a spanner........

Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently cats are the supreme beings that own everything.

I never get to ride with another Bimota owner, or even talk to one face to face for thar matter Crying or Very sad
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn useless bar of fluff was in there for 5 hrs last night until finally I coaxed her out with a bowl of her favourite slop......tucked up and asleep under my Sons DT125R mostly......

...Brian....at least you have the memories of your Festival of Speed last year eh Brian? Riding round with your son and fellow Bimota owners on the stand all weekend??

I've done a couple of trips on Bims with other bims riding.....DB3 and YB11.....one to Germany where another YB11 and 2 DB7's joined us....and met up with another 2 No. YB11's later.....

Other than that its mostly been Vort....taking 2 No. tricolor DB4's out for a spin caused quite a sight with them together...a fair few double takes....and a couple of trips with 2 No. Vdues also....that always causes a stir

Will be working on DB6R more today and hopefully getting her buttoned up...Have to say....its maybe "age" or the fact that I've gotten used to working on the simple easy KDX and DT125....but the DB6 is a royal "pig" of a bike to work on....over engineered and badly so for stripping down....Nakeds have to try to hide everything.....and as such theres no room for even little fingers to remove bits....theres a lack of thought in removing lots of parts....some where they have fitted locking nuts on the back of bolts....but with no room to get a spanner onto the back of them....small needle nosed spanners needed....tiny rubber wellnuts that have corroded the bolts in space....I was having to power drill "spin" them yesterday to burn the rubber and prize the bolts out....nicely welded metal tabs on the frame that they could have easily tapped with a thread of spot welded a nut onto the back of...but oh no....oversized holes with rubber wellnuts fitted instead.....and some panels where you take a bolt out and 2 hidden washers and an alloy spacer fall out of position that were hiding behind the panels...very fiddly.....and then theres the modern stuff....relays all over the place...what purpose do they serve? All wires to the ECU and then out again and to relays and then to the item ...grrghhh....Theres earth tabs all over the engine and frame...and at least 3 large wires to each of the battery terminals....battery itself in a box on its side under the petrol tank....The 5R with its fairings...once removed has all the same parts...but in all different locations but at least more accessible as most is tagged on and plonked behind the fairings......DB2 and DB4 are a cinch to work on by comparison....
brian

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fond memories of the Festival of Speed weekend and meeting other Aussie Bimota owners.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your time with the DB6 mate Surprised, I'm sure it will all have been worth it once you're out for a spin together.

I'm laid up at the moment with a busted shoulder. Getting better though and hopefully will spend some time in the shed later this week
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cat sometimes sits near us when fiddling with the bikes. She won't admit to showing any interest though.

She did get locked in a neighbours garage for a few days 2 years ago

But in summer she barely comes home. We are merely here to provide some food on demand.

All the best

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Katy.....Cats just need slaves and servants.....food and doors to be pushed open.....this one shows a lot of interest in the bikes.....and it was only when it was -5 degrees and I was working on the KDX on the decking in the snow....to get it ready for the Mcr show...did she decline to come out with me...but she did find a window sill vantage point to keep a check on me....
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Yes, fond memories of the Festival of Speed weekend and meeting other Aussie Bimota owners.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your time with the DB6 mate Surprised, I'm sure it will all have been worth it once you're out for a spin together.

I'm laid up at the moment with a busted shoulder. Getting better though and hopefully will spend some time in the shed later this week

Was that Bike racing related Brian?? Must have missed that one on Facebook?

DB6 buttoned up today in the intense heat of our Summer....display said 84 degrees F.....

First test run out.....mixed emotions...yup bars better than clip-ons....and pegs lower...and side stand forward of the pegs so easy to flip down.....LOUD....the arrow titanium end cans and Cat free headers are the loudest of all my bikes...even topping the corse cans on the DB2

I've been blessed with running the DB5R and DB2....both have Ohlins rears....and Ohlins front on the 5R and well set up 51mm Paiolis on the DB2.....DB6R...........Hhhmmmmmmmm...I'd forgotten how stiffly set-up the Marzocchi RAC 50mm front forks are.....and the ExtremeTec rear shock....despite them being known by ALL with DB7's, 8's, 9's and 10's....all sharing the same suspension.

Owners manual laughingly says for flat roads in good condition...decrease rebound and compression damping by unwinding both...and for "riding in more severe conditions" Increase rebound damping and compression.....roads around Britain are poor nowadays.....and it was harsh on middle setting like a bucking bronco kicking hard...so I've set all to softest and will try tomorrow....

Has anyone seen this shock? My DB6R has an upgrade ExtremeTec rear on it....same top screw for rebound damping...and then an allen key operated and hex nut also clicky thing at the bottom on the remote....the spring has only one collar....for preload....which has a grub screw in one of the holes....But what do the two adjustments at the bottom do? They look the same as the twin High and low speed setting units that Bimota use on the DB7...extremeTec......

Inside the gold anodised lower ring on the remote body theres a silver outer clicky hex head adjuster....and an inner silver clicky allen headed adjuster.....What does what????....My owners manual and Workshop manual doesnt cover this shock....but it looks the same as the Db7/8/9 units....albeit theres just one of them whereas those bikes have 2 of each...HiSpeed and LoSpeed settings

\this top silver round adjuster at the top of the spring I'm fine with...its rebound damping force adjustment and 2 top hex nuts are ride height adjuster on the shock body

I even asked Cat......she's been there some time looking at it...but is an non-plussed as meself

brian

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

I even asked Cat......she's been there some time looking at it...but is an non-plussed as meself

Cat does look very helpful.

Too technical for me to be of any help I'm afraid mate
brian

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my busted shoulder resulted from a highside a couple weeks ago while racing the 400
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth contacting the factory?

http://www.extremeshox.com/damper-services/

Our cat demanded to come in this morning (we have to open the kitchen doors as she refuses to use the cat flap unless desperate), had 2 pouches of food and has now disappeared out again.

All the best

Katy
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,

that's what the world needs- more cats!

Cheers, Mike (and Monty)
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Yep,

Cheers, Mike (and Monty)

Ditto!
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Yep,

Cheers, Mike (and Monty)

Ditto!
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tirefriar,

what sort of moggy do you have? - maybe there's a connection between the cats who own us and the bikes we own,

Cheers,

Mike, Monty and Gerda (not necessarily in that order)
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

This is our cat:-

All the best

Katy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: