Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R #16 BAAAAD Day!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: SB6R #16 BAAAAD Day! Reply with quote

Hello old friends and Bimota Bretheren!

My '97-98 SB6R #000016 Is in need of:

CLOCK SET (Gauge cluster) MPH NOT KPH ...
ahhhh, I guess a metric speedo would be okay, in a pinch.

Rear tail lamp lens (I remember rumblings of a Benelli scooter application working here? TRUE???

Rear sprocket (Antera wheels, stock OEM) I am running a AFAM #93610-42 but that number seems to be discontinued...or having trouble finding an application here in the USA....Utah, USA.....where Bimotas are INDEED RARE!!!

...and if known, of the top of one's head, the 530 drive chain link length ???
(DID 530 gold) I know I can count the links, but I can only count up to 10....at least the metric system is still in play....LOL! So, if anyone knows off the top of their head...Please, if anyone must get on the floor and count, it'll be ME! arrrgghhh....The older I get, the further away the floor seems to be!

Hey guys (and gals...if applicable), any help, tips, advise, and/or directions to a local "HIGH-BRIDGE"Rolling Eyes ...... would be appreciated.....

Regards,

Tom
'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Yamaha Aerox scooter rear light that youre after...plenty here in UK...be it the lens only or the full unit which is identical with 3 fixings bolts and electrical connecters...or you can buy a blingy led unit with clear lens etc etc....also evidently search in USA...difficult to do from here as computer knows I'm in the UK so brings up sellers from here even if I search from ebay.usa…

Pretty sure I have a contact for afam sprockets and chains for Bimotas in GErmany...will search and repost...also think I've seen SB6R clocks in mpg somewhere...just cant quite recall

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=yamaha+qr50+aerox+rear+light&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=yamaha+aerox+rear+light&_sacat=0
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company in the UK lists Chain and sprocket kits (afam) for the SB6R....and either 5 or 6 rear sprocket bolt fixings to take account of different wheels...(pretty sure the Antera wheels are 6 stud???)

https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/parts/chains-and-sprockets/chain-and-sprocket-kits/recommended-chain-and-sprocket-kits.htm?make=bimota&model=sb6r%201000%20(6%20stud)&year=1998

Darn it...previous company in GErmany used to have English option on their website...but now dont...grrghhh

This nice german man has SB6R clocks...but in Kms

https://www.bimota-parts.de/de/component/virtuemart/sb6r/armaturen-detail.html?Itemid=470
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used km clock set here

https://www.subito.it/accessori-moto/cruscotto-bimota-sb6-sb8r-usato-salerno-183734409.htm
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the Owners Handbook if you have one....Bimota do sometimes list how many links in the chain and sprocket teeth sizes...sometimes they do..sometimes they dont...and whether its correct or not is an entirely other matter...….. Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um ... if the rear sprocket is worn badly enough that you want to change it and the chain .... then you ought to do the front.

Please don't kill me Wink

Afam chains have the easy link thing and their chain tool works a treat.

Use Koso clocks
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GENTLEMEN!!!

Koso clocks, ayhe? I will check them out. And, yes the front sprocket will be
replaced as well. They are OEM Suzuki 1100W fare.

I really cannot convey my gratitude, You guys are indeed top shelf.

Respectfully,

Tom
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Fellas,

Okay, a couple of things I would like to share: (some of you may already be aware of these, some not, so here goes)

1. The tail lamp for the SB6R crosses over with the Yamaha scooter that you fine gentlemen informed about....However in my trials trying to find one here in the USA which proved difficult.(...and I ended up finding a supplier in the UK, and bought one of those blingy LED units,,,fancy..fancy * hey 2bims*)

Anyway, I found a lens only unit that fits CAGIVA RAPTOR 1000 I am sure that the tail/stop lamp assembly would fit....with the appropriate three stud mounting configuration.

2. Sprockets!!!

The sprocket I was using on the rear of my SB6R was an AFAM unit. AFAM, a European company (France, I think) have SOLD their USA division to Drive Systems USA. In speaking with a rep there, I was informed that they are/have discontinued Part #93610-42 the direct fit 42 tooth 90mm hub sprocket. Talking further with him I found out that the European division of AFAM is also discontinuing the 42 tooth sprocket.....He said that part #93610-42 is , in fact, no longer listed as an available part#....However some stock remains...GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN!
I went with the #993610-44 unit and stepped up a single tooth on my front sprocket (a direct OEM Suzuki part 15 tooth) to a 16 tooth piece. I was told that the change will bring me close to the OEM ratios, but will still be a touch higher than stock. Seeing as how I generally do NOT ride around at speeds over 150 MPH (241 KPH) I think I will be okay....

Clock Set,
I have had NO luck communicating with either "Bimota Classic Parts" or Bimota Parts DE....
However I did come across a facility in Brussels?? that repairs the clock set found on the SB6R and also the same unit on the YB11 (SB6???). The problem there is I lost the contact info and cannot relocate them....Has anyone heard of these folks??? I would rather have my OEM unit repaired that to buy a used unit in God only knows what condition it is in...or to go with the KOSO unit....

The KOSO clocks...They look wonderful and I may go that route as a back up and run with it, but still want my OEM unit ready to accompany my bike in the event of a sale (doubtful as Ii may ask to be buried with my beloved SB...LOL).
My question on the KOSO units...Do you have to wire them up or do they supply a "plug and play" adapter or harness??? Has anyone here fitted their SBs with a KOSO unit and do you have pics??? I would like to see the aesthetics of the cockpit with the ultra modern clock set in front of the triple-top.

Again, and as always, Thank you for your time and efforts..

Respectfully,

Tom
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send your clock set here..........

http://www.scorpio-electronics.co.uk/

they have repaired my SB6R speedo (fitted a new stepper motor and re-calibrated it) for approx $100. Scorpio are currently repairing a set of YB11 clocks that a forum member had sent to a repair facility in the Netherlands, which they (eventually) returned as they were unable to repair them.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koso units come from the "far East" with full wiring diagrams....but not a simple plug and play....they require to be calibrated by the user...wheel/tyre diameter...and to identify the wiring from the old clocks to wire into the right wires of the new clocks (Engine temp....low fuel....speedo....lights on...Neutral, indicators...etc etc)...You also have to buy the right koso unit as they make several with differing rpm max limits....9thou...11thou....13 thou etc etc
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring : you could look for the block connectors that match the originals on ebay then wire the Koso to match so you can plug either unit in.
If you cant match replace the oringinal connectors so you end up with the same result as above.

Draw diagrams of the wire positions in the plugs and take pictures. If you have two block connectors that are the same (4 wires in each) reverse one of the connectors so you dont get them confused
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The koso standard units have 26 pin connecters hard wired into the back face....twenty friggin six of them....(I hate electrics....)
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Thank you for the link GeeKay.

That is the route I will take. And, Hey They will speak English....although, a slightly different brand than my own...I think we have discussed this before.....

I will wait for winter, as she still runs, but I have no speedo, but do have a good idea about tach speeds and MPH. Although, my new sprocket set up may have me in unproven ground...LOL Luckily out here in the western USA the Policia tend to look the other way when speeding unless you are at least 20MPH over....

Mr. Chicken...I worked in the auto industry for 30+ years and NEVER could get a grip on auto electrics.....It was my Achilles heel for sure....

.and 2bims...I HATE ELECTRICS AS WELL!!!! FAAA-RUCKIN' HATE THEM

Thank you again, Gentlemen

Regards,

Tom
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a "pm" Bimota-rider....as in Private message in your messages inbox....top of forum....
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrics isnt that difficult
Get in touch with Jonny B Bad on this foum he has koso clocks on a 6R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: