Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 Oil Drain Plug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimotajohn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: YB10 Oil Drain Plug Reply with quote

Looking to do an oil change on my 1992 YB10 and looking for advice on removing the oil drain plug. My Haynes FZR 1000 manual shows drain plug on engine near-side and just forward of and above EXUP valve cover. Most drain plugs I have encountered are simple one-piece items. However the FZR version appears to be a two-piece, with a central bolt with large Philips head secured by a hexagon locking nut. Thus, do I just loosen the hex nut and remove the whole thing, or just slack the nut off and then remove the Philips head bolt? One YouTube source said nut and bolt were all one. However, in this case I don’t see the point of the Philips head. The situation is further confused on my bike by the fact that someone has painted a yellow paint marker across the hex nut and crankcase, obviously to detect whether the nut has turned at all. Should say the Haynes manual does not make the procedure clear, and I have found no relevant reliable internet advice. My local dealer of course will just want to do the job himself if I ask him. Advice thus appreciated. Many thanks, John
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just undo the whole bolt at once.

You can see it here:-

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4063515/fzr1000-3gm1-1989-999-a/oil-cleaner

Not sure why it has the central screw. It is a bit weird.

All the best

Katy
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you overfill it allows you to let just a little out? (clutching at straws here!)
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh....I thought that....also saves you from having to install a new crush washer maybe if its been overfilled...just loosen phillips head screw and let it weep out......Bimota vdue has similar....instead of an oil sight window...you throw in 900ml....put the bike level and extract a 6mm allen bolt on the side of the crankcase and let it run down the face of your crankcase cover until no more comes out......The manual laughingly suggests remove bolt and view oil level in hole...Yeh right!!!!
daward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise, having just been pondering the same on my newly acquired YB10. As you can see from the other post, I proceeded in standard manner without a manual and cunningly removed the pressure relief valve first (!) as the drain plug was well camouflaged by the crosshead screw...

I can't see the point of the screw Confused It unscrews out of the plug to no apparent purpose.

Carry on!
bimotajohn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all responses, and especially to "Katy" for the useful exploded parts diagram link. I have come to the conclusion that the drain plug design is actually a good bit of Yamaha engineering in that it makes it easier to remove a limited amount of oil if necessary, rather than having to cope with a major gush if the whole plug is removed. Thanks again, John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: