Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New DB1 owner with standard new owner questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: New DB1 owner with standard new owner questions Reply with quote

Hi all, new to this forum and new to forums in general but glad I found this one.
So yesterday I fulfilled a life long motorcycling dream and took delivery of a 1987 DB1 and I'm overjoyed. Anyway, I have a couple queries in which I'm sure have been asked a million times before so apologies in advance.
1) Workshop manual - where can I get?
2) Dumbest thing ever but the ignition boxes ( I think that whats they are called or transducers?) that sit in front of the battery box, would anyone have a picture of them up close to show me which direction the plugs sit? Probably just me but I cannot work out how they sit without fouling each other or just no sitting right.
3) Unfortunately its missing the heat shields that sit just behind the footrests, any ideas where I might get or do I have Buckleys?
Cheers all
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdo and welcome to the Forum....pictures are what we need...coz we like looking...pm me your email address and I'll send a pdf copy of the DB1 spare parts manual to you..which has exploded diagrams of the bike and parts and what goes where....

Do you have a Owners Manual for the bike?....I'm not sure if there is a Workshop manual for the DB1...early days for Bimota when the model was made....and they weren't so great when they did make workshop manuals for some oftheir bikes.

All bodywork for DB1's is available as a repro...Except....the bent round itself fibreglass piece that screws to the footpeg hanger plates on either side and wraps over the exhausts...later models had a 2:1 so this piece disappeared.

Welcome to the Forum and congrats by the way

Let me root through my Db1 box and see what I can find that I have
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Gowanloch does workshop manuals for the engine...Ducati 750F1....and hes in Oz...dont buy the spare parts manual for the Db1...I'll send that for free by email

https://ducati-gowanloch.com/products/books-manuals/
brian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Ant an$ congratulations on the DB1. Definitely on my wish list but still out of reach yet. I’m in sunny NQ. Where did you pick up your DB1?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Howdo and welcome to the Forum....pictures are what we need...coz we like looking...pm me your email address and I'll send a pdf copy of the DB1 spare parts manual to you..which has exploded diagrams of the bike and parts and what goes where....

Do you have a Owners Manual for the bike?....I'm not sure if there is a Workshop manual for the DB1...early days for Bimota when the model was made....and they weren't so great when they did make workshop manuals for some oftheir bikes.

All bodywork for DB1's is available as a repro...Except....the bent round itself fibreglass piece that screws to the footpeg hanger plates on either side and wraps over the exhausts...later models had a 2:1 so this piece disappeared.

Thanks so much for the info and the welcome, I have a parts manual and just brought an owners manual off eBay - Ive seen the manuals through Gowanloch so will take your advice and purchase one of them too, thanks again.

I'm so in love with the bike, needs a bit of a going over and will post pics along the way as soon as I work out how to upload?? Sorry can I get help with this too please? haha[/url]
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Welcome to the forum Ant an$ congratulations on the DB1. Definitely on my wish list but still out of reach yet. I’m in sunny NQ. Where did you pick up your DB1?

Thanks Brian.

Ironically I picked the DB1 up from your side of the country, I'm in Perth WA. Been my dream bike for 30 years and overjoyed to finally own one. Looks like you have great collection too Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANTDB1 wrote:
2bims wrote:

Thanks so much for the info and the welcome, I have a parts manual and just brought an owners manual off eBay - Ive seen the manuals through Gowanloch so will take your advice and purchase one of them too, thanks again.

I'm so in love with the bike, needs a bit of a going over and will post pics along the way as soon as I work out how to upload?? Sorry can I get help with this too please? haha[/url]

Oh lordy….have you had your pants taken down by BCP for an Owners Manual? I'd have gladly scanned and sent....its written by 4 year olds with pencil drawings and such scant info its untrue...but...it does have a wiring diagram in the back...hopefully...if its not been removed...I have spare tool kits and the elusive bimota black stamped plastic key that comes with a DB1...has a tiny hex key set into it to remove the allen keys from the bump stop to gain access to the tool kit "locker"

DB1 Original sales brochure going under the hammer too.....Db2, Db4, Db5R and Vdue also
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For DB1s in Australia, the information goldmine is Ian Gowanloch who originally imported them. You can contact him at Italspares in Adelong.

The bike shop called Gowanlochs is not associated with him any more. He sold that business many years ago. Still a great Ducati shop though.
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be a learning curve for me for sure, so no doubt I'll win some lose some.

If the DB1 toolkit and 'elusive' key are or will be for sale, please message me Smile

Oh lordy….have you had your pants taken down by BCP for an Owners Manual? I'd have gladly scanned and sent....its written by 4 year olds with pencil drawings and such scant info its untrue...but...it does have a wiring diagram in the back...hopefully...if its not been removed...I have spare tool kits and the elusive bimota black stamped plastic key that comes with a DB1...has a tiny hex key set into it to remove the allen keys from the bump stop to gain access to the tool kit "locker"

DB1 Original sales brochure going under the hammer too.....Db2, Db4, Db5R and Vdue also[/quote]
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, mines actually complied Italspares and i didint realise Gowanlochs wasnt run by Ian so I'll contact Italspares and see how I go..Cheers for that!

Bud977 wrote:
For DB1s in Australia, the information goldmine is Ian Gowanloch who originally imported them. You can contact him at Italspares in Adelong.

The bike shop called Gowanlochs is not associated with him any more. He sold that business many years ago. Still a great Ducati shop though.
pkay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the buy! Just following the thread the DB1 has the same motor as the 750F1, is that correct? Reason I ask is I have a 750F1 that will require an engine rebuild when I get to restoring it next year so I am keen to build up the knowledge bank (manuals etc).
Cheers
PK
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkay wrote:
Congrats on the buy! Just following the thread the DB1 has the same motor as the 750F1, is that correct? Reason I ask is I have a 750F1 that will require an engine rebuild when I get to restoring it next year so I am keen to build up the knowledge bank (manuals etc).
Cheers
PK

Thanks pkay, same motor I think so if I can be of any help, please hola
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:

Googled Italspares and found Ian Gowanlochs email address listed so sent him a quick email - within 2 hours he called me and gave me 15 minutes of his valuable time..What a legend!
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. He is part of Bimota history in Australia.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You where lucky... Ian can be hard to get hold of some times.
I'm guessing that was the DB1 from Slacks creek... I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago... I think his name was Alan... He's got abit of a collection of Bimota's.
I too own a Db1 and happy to help with Inquiries if I can...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: