Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SS Exhaust headers clean up time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: SS Exhaust headers clean up time Reply with quote

Loads of bits have exited the loft space of the house...naughty me didn't clean the DB5R and DB6R stock catted headers when I put them up there 5 years ago...and it was a nice day...so clean up time.....For the DB5R and DB6R I bought new Cat free headers direct from Zard...and had them cam coated in satin alloy look...which has stood the test of time...zero corrosion and still shiney

Old headers...which were only on for a couple of thousand miles on both bikes

Out with the "magic" paint on cleanser...corrosion literally dissappears in front of your eyes with a little fizz whilst painting on

One with first pass of clean...and the other without

Wash down thoroughly with soapy water and time for a rub down with an oiled rag to preserve

Then it was time for a clean of the Original standard baffled DB5R HEavy blackpainted steel end cans

And then....repeat the process for my DB4ie single 2:1 end can...which is for sale

who

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: SS Exhaust headers clean up time Reply with quote

It was probably a long lunch.... the weld.

[/quote]
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see youre keeping busy 😉😎😎😎😎
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the DB4ie can? Did you buy it as an interim for your DB4 (cause I thought I had seen the twin 'shotguns' in yr 'shed'?).... or was it just too good a bargain when you saw it? Watching the ongoing/growing horde with much interest!!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SS Exhaust headers clean up time Reply with quote

who wrote:
It was probably a long lunch.... the weld.

[/quote]

I thought that maybe someone had opened it up...and got a pigeon to crap on it to fix it together again.....snap taken to show it in case someone wants to buy it

Lambie....Yeh it was a good price...such price long since forgotten....bought it to replace the heavy heavy shotgun standard system.....mainly for the 2:1 branch and then have a nice light open can fixed to it in place of the standard....just a part of a project I havent got round to doing....Would need a new hanger bracket...as the single cans sit a lot lower as normally they are on a twin seat and hang from the pillion pegs perch
DB1 860

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats this magical stainless steel cleaner ? I could do with some of that myself
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpic Max Power X10 Toilet Cleaner....comes in a black bottle with flames on the label...has acid in it and one of the cleaning properties is it cleans "rust"...only for use on Stainless Steel though....eats alloy, but cleans browning and rust off SS....Available in the UK from local Poundland stores...Costco and Asda etc
glened

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harpic Power cleaner that Steve uses is nothing short of amazing.. I am now a convert. Just finished cleaning the callipers on the DB10, showed them to a friend of mine who builds TT2 Classic Ducati's. He looked at them and said that I had sent them of for vapour blasting. When I informed hi that they just washed in Steves magic Harpic, he insisted that they were vapour blasted, I gave him a bottle to try...hmm... he is now converted. I believe that you can get a similar result with Brick acid which I have now tried on the ally wheels on my van, they came up shiny and very clean, OK for van wheels but I would not go near my Bim with it Sad
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your "stocks" in while you can....the reason WHY they are at poundland stores etc...is that main Supermarket chains aren't going to be stoking them anymore....as its "dangerous" and all old style chemicals that actually do what they say on the tin....are being banned by EU laws that have come in...Hence why Nitromors no longer strips paint....and why Gunk is more like Spu…..Even Wonder wheels cleaning is now...Wrrghhhhh….Paints that dont stick....Glues that dont glue....strippers that no longer strip off anything....Grid Girls on Formula one...Oooooo….PC....quickly went down hill there didn't I?
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims,

Those look fantastic. I am now debating pulling mine to clean them.

I looked up that product and it is basically 9ml per 100ml Hydrochloric Acid with a bunch of soapy surfactants etc. It lists for a whopping $49 online from India.

You could make some of your own up with pure hydrochloric acid (in the 9 to 100 ratio) and add Dawn dish washing soap and water to a bottle.

I may try this one.
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of hydrochloric acid based cleaners and descalers here in the states that work, some better than others.

I'll have a look around my local home improvement stores as well as swimming pool supply stores for some stuff to test.

There is also Bar Keepers Friend.

I do like the low physical effort of your product though. no scrubbing required. brush on. Have a beer...or three...rinse off. Nice.
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like good stuff. By the looks of it, I'd want to ensure I'd rinsed all of the cleaner off the loo before sitting down though.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does burn your fingers if the stuff gets on them....so yup....it would clean "parts" where no other cleaner goes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: