Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 Probleme, won't run anymore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: DB5 Probleme, won't run anymore Reply with quote

I had an unpleasant experience lately... went for a 2 day trip to Italy but my DB 5 stopped working on the trip.

it started shortly after i left from Munich with some hick ups. under partial load in middle rev area it started bucking. when going to full gas it worked. after awhile it worked fine again completely for around 100 kilometres. then it started again. bucking, jerking. after a while it went off. then i managed to get it running again, but after another while it went off completely and now it is not possible to start anymore.

it is idling when pushing the ignite button, the fuel pump is running. after idling sometime the engine control lamp goes on. when switching the key off and on, the engine control lamp is off, but on again when idling without success.

then i saw that in the tank there is a huge sponge floating on top. we pulled that beast out of the tank (god this was huge) unfortunately this did not help, it still does not run. ( i thought maybe this blocked something after coming loose)

my feeling is that the eninge is not getting any fuel, something is blocked. maybe it has to to with the sponge?

any ideas?

Cheers Rob
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model DB5? What engine size and type? What ECU is it?

Sponge sounds like an aftermarket fitment....some folk use them to stop fuel sloshing around when cornering etc....Can fill a tank but when tank is full it takes next to no volume as its full of voids.....

Inside your tank is the fuel pump...and low fuel sender and theres a filter in there also...but a cartridge replaceable type.....pretty sure its a magnetti Marelli fuel pump as used by modern day ducatis

You can remove the fuel pump to check....by removing the fuel tank first....Has the tank been off recently? Sometimes when reconnecting the fuel lines which are Q/R disconnect...the small O-rings that seal them can become dislodged and be partly blocking the fuel line...causing poor flow or no flow...So I'd drain the tank first and remove and look down the fuel lines...and check the plastic parts on the tank outlets aren't blocked....also try starting and running with the fuel cap open first...maybe you have a blockage on the air release vent hole under the filler cap??...First things first....theres also a relay for the fuel pump...if its not functioning correctly it wont pump fuel and needs to with a fuel injected bike....as its the bit doing the "injecting"....
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,

thx alot for getting back...i think i am gonna let this be seen at the dealer, i am not in the mood for this tank removal thing...will keep you updated,

Cheers, Robert
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dealer? There is no factory...do you still have a Bimota Dealer??? None here in the UK anymore...for the last 5 years or so now
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Armin Schneider in Langenpreising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: