Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New toy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockcar wrote:
I must be the odd one out then :

We wont hold it against you Laughing plus we are all ODD here Shocked Shocked
stockcar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

defo fit in that category........... Very Happy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
SB6 definitely a timeless beauty !!! Very Happy

Look forward to the comparisons between the MK1 and the R

On first impressions, the SB6 feels tiny compared to the 6R. As it has the same frame etc I can only put it down to the large, broader tank, fairing and seat unit of the 6R that makes it feel more lardy.
Also the 6's footrest's give a more cramped leg position than the 6R, probably due to a lack of padding in it's seat, compared to the 6R.
I do find the pair of yellow batteries distracting......... Very Happy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

I’m looking forward to a comparison as well. I’ve slways heard that the SB6R is a better all round bike and I quess the stats on paper suggest that also.

The only plus points for the 6R are accessibilty - battery under a cover in the fuel tank (remove 2 screws and your in - as long as you have a 2.5mm hex key in your tool kit) - what was Bimota thinking? Very Happy
The 4-piece fairing is another benefit. Riding-wise (and I have only completed around 50 miles on the 6 so far), I would have to say that if I was picking one of them to go to Germany on (as I did on the 6R last year), I would still choose the 6R. My legs may be too old for distance work on the 6 Very Happy
But if I choose to sell one, the advert will be for a 6R.
Looks are subjective, but to me, the original 6 is still the bonniest bike that Bimota ever designed and built.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same seat height listed for both so must just be lower pegs !!!!
Interesting how small changes can make it feel bigger. Good to hear which side of the fence you on though Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockcar wrote:
I must be the odd one out then as i bought the bike i loved both looks and spec...... Laughing

SB6R for the win........ Wink

meh - soft saddle
brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
brian wrote:

I’m looking forward to a comparison as well. I’ve slways heard that the SB6R is a better all round bike and I quess the stats on paper suggest that also.

The only plus points for the 6R are accessibilty - battery under a cover in the fuel tank (remove 2 screws and your in - as long as you have a 2.5mm hex key in your tool kit) - what was Bimota thinking? Very Happy
The 4-piece fairing is another benefit. Riding-wise (and I have only completed around 50 miles on the 6 so far), I would have to say that if I was picking one of them to go to Germany on (as I did on the 6R last year), I would still choose the 6R. My legs may be too old for distance work on the 6 Very Happy
But if I choose to sell one, the advert will be for a 6R.
Looks are subjective, but to me, the original 6 is still the bonniest bike that Bimota ever designed and built.

Interesting to hear about the different riding position etc. cramped leg position doesn’t really apply to me as I’m 5’3” Laughing

Not that I’ve ever done a long trip on my 6, but I think the limiting factor would be the wooden plank seat. A small price to pay for such beauty though Wink

'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another 60 miles covered on the 6 last night - a mixture of sweeping / swoopy moorland roads and some back lane scratching.
I really feel more confident on this bike - it's like riding a very powerful RGV250 equipped with top-notch suspension and brakes. The front-end feel is a joy to behold, although I will have to have a twiddle with the front fork adjusters as it is a bit harsh on bumps.
Other than that, I had a ball Very Happy
My riding mate (on his Hayabusa) commented on how slim the bike looked from behind - something he never mentioned after following the 6R. He's no slouch, but was quick to admit that he couldn't match the 6 through the twisties and was surprised how fast it was on the few straight bits we rode on.
When the 6R returns from having it's swing arm bearings replaced, we are taking them both out for a comparison run - will be interesting to get his perspective of the 2 bikes.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the next write up Gaz. The SB6 is by no means a light weight, but it IS very small compared to other bikes that I’ve ridden. And the stump pulling power on the big Suzi donk seems exaggerated in the small frame
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
another 60 miles covered on the 6 last night - a mixture of sweeping / swoopy moorland roads and some back lane scratching.
I really feel more confident on this bike - it's like riding a very powerful RGV250 equipped with top-notch suspension and brakes. The front-end feel is a joy to behold, although I will have to have a twiddle with the front fork adjusters as it is a bit harsh on bumps.
Other than that, I had a ball Very Happy
My riding mate (on his Hayabusa) commented on how slim the bike looked from behind - something he never mentioned after following the 6R. He's no slouch, but was quick to admit that he couldn't match the 6 through the twisties and was surprised how fast it was on the few straight bits we rode on.
When the 6R returns from having it's swing arm bearings replaced, we are taking them both out for a comparison run - will be interesting to get his perspective of the 2 bikes.

BooHoo…...Geekays got himself a new riding mate....and you're sharing your bims about with him....So whats your new log-on name? "2Bims - East division"......
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"2bims" sub is a fellow 2-stroke fan - he has a GT750J Kettle that I fettle for him, a KTM and the 'Busa.
We did enduro riding together on t'moors a few years ago too.

His breakfasts aren't as tasty as yours though matey Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
it's like riding a very powerful RGV250 equipped with top-notch suspension and brakes. The front-end feel is a joy to behold,

You been reading to many of those old 90's Fast Bike mags GK Laughing
Guess the 6's secret is it carries its weight low and is basically an engine with wheels and a seat.

GeeKay wrote:

Can't wait for that .
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I will do when the 6R returns is check it's suspension settings and change them, if necessary, to match those of the 6. That will ensure a fair comparison. Both bikes are running the same tyres (Pirelli Diablo Corsa's) so that's another variable eradicated.
The "chicken strips" on the 6's rear tyre are already considerably smaller than those on the 6R,which bears out my thoughts that I am more at home on the 6.
The 6R always reminds me of my SB8R - lardy and ponderous - bit like manoeuvering a supertanker at low speed but improves as speed increases.
Poor excuse to offer to the cops though............. Very Happy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

You been reading to many of those old 90's Fast Bike mags GK Laughing

ah - FB magazine -the ones that crashed the SB8R during a road test in France?

I remember their legendary quote about some newly released road tyres being "stickier than Sticky the stick insect stuck to a sticky bun"

Or maybe that was PB ?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another nice day - another ride-out on the 6, another 100 miles + on the odometer.
Visited some of my old stomping grounds in and around North Yorkshire with 'Busa mounted matey in tow. Both bikers cafe's I chose to visit were closed, so we rested outside a chippy popular with bikers. But not tonight...........

nice fish 'n' chips though - and a welcoming pint of shandy in the pub next door Very Happy

Then a most enjoyable ride home on back-road twisties and fast, open roads, catching the last of the evening sun.

And some flies.....................

and, to end a perfect evening, a perfect sunset..........

I love this bike Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: