Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

another Dumb DB1 Question from Shay001, this time wheels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shay001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: another Dumb DB1 Question from Shay001, this time wheels Reply with quote

As you guys can no doubt deduce from several posts, I am embarking on a program of rejuvenation for my much abused DB1.

Be assured, I was not the abuser, just trying to get this bike back as nature intended.

So now it's wheels. Very keen to retain the original 16". Trouble is they are now as air tight as a sponge. I would like to get them back to air tight and enjoy once more the benefits (?) of tubeless tyres.

So, any suggestions? I am sure this job can be as hard as one wants to make it. All different methods to attain proper service appreciated, no matter how insane they may sound.

Thanks
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Shay,
I have the same problem with my rear wheel. I dunked it in water and the leaking air was escaping from a couple of places along the seam where the rims are riveted together. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow another wheel so I could exhibit the bike at a show, but this suffered the same problem. When the tyre was removed I was surprised to find the well in the rim was filled with what appears to be some type of resin impregnated material and that is how they were supplied. I did inquire with the manufacturer of Astralite wheels (sadly no longer in business) which use the same construction method if they could repair them (split the rim and re-bond and re-rivet) but he wasn't prepared to take them on. To my shame I have still to tackle the problem, but I am going to try to remove all the old resinous material, turning it off in a lathe, very carefully, is probably the easiest way, then reseal the joint with a good bead of Sikkaflex or something similar. Hopefully someone else has addressed this problem and will contribute.

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay001

When racing some bikes in early 1990s the classic Ducati modification was Astralites wheels.....a split wheel made from alloy and riveted

One major concern was the join in the middle of the wheel and not wanting
To use an inner tube , the wheel was cleaned with thinners and wrapped with self almalgating tape
......started of with one wrap of 20 mm and then a 30mm wide overlay of 2 wraps

Lasted throughout the practice qualifying and the race 24 hrs at LeMans

Simply repeated on annual rebuild......simple and effective and not silicone or grp

Hope this helps

Regards
Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failing any other suggestions, I’d give the sikaflex a go if it’s possible to remove the old gunk and split the wheels. Although there may be a better bonding agent to use than sika?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Failing any other suggestions, I’d give the sikaflex a go if it’s possible to remove the old gunk and split the wheels. Although there may be a better bonding agent to use than sika?

I wouldn't advise actually splitting the rims unless you are super confident. They are solid rivets, does anybody know the correct size? Also the spokes are bolted to the hubs and the heads are likely to chew up as I suspect the bolts may have some form of thread lock on them. After cleaning off all the old material from the well in the rim, thoroughly clean and prep the well area before applying a generous bead of sikaflex or other suitable agent across the join would be my way of tackling it.
I may try Gavin's self-amalgamating tape idea first though, sounds simple and easy to start over if it doesn't work.
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sikaflex 11FC on my Astralite wheels. I did it once and have never had to touch them in 15 years.

I found that these type of wheels can leak between the tyre and the rim if there is some corrosion. To solve this, I sprayed the tyre bead with WD40, inflated the tyre and let it sit for a week. The WD softens the rubber which allows it to mould to the rim inner surface and bonds it lightly when it evaporates.
fish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much good information on this forum
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: