Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: New Member Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum based in Banchory Scotland.

Would like some advice please. Im considering purchasing a BB1 at Jems in Batley England. Has anyone viewed this, and have you any advice for me on ownership? How much hassle are they and parts availability?

Appreciate it.

Garry
brian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garry and welcome to the forum. Not many BB3 owners on here I don’t think, but I’m sure Vort will be along eventually to answer some questions for you. On paper, the BB3 looks the goods for sure
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, that small screen on the mobile is duping you again (or is it the keys?) Original poster looking at BB1
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a BB1, Brian. The Rotax/BMW powered single. Very Happy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member Reply with quote

MadG wrote:
Hi, new to the forum based in Banchory Scotland.

Would like some advice please. Im considering purchasing a BB1 at Jems in Batley England. Has anyone viewed this, and have you any advice for me on ownership? How much hassle are they and parts availability?

Appreciate it.

Garry

Garry - what do you anticipate using it for?
If it's country back-road scratching, point-and-squirt stuff, then it's an ideal tool. Not so for open-road riding, where the vibration will spoil everything.
Motor is a BMW/Rotax unit as fitted in the early BMW 650 range so parts should be readily available. Probably best off trying a BMW dealer rather than Aprilia.
Spend a bit of time reading through the BB section of this forum for owners comments.
I was contemplating doing a deal with Jems for the BB1 but will hang fire until you have made a decision on it.

regards,

Garry.
MadG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the bike will be a play thing for messing about on. I have recently thinned out most of my bikes, but still retain a ZZR1400 Performance Sport and a ZX6R B1H, so no issues with suitability. It's purpose is for 60 min stress breaks, and keeping an idiot from meddling with more expensive, complex bikes.

I saw the BB1 in question at Jems last Friday. In my opinion not quite as tidy as the pictures depict, but it is over 20 yrs old.

A few things I noted:

The chain was quite loose, but there's some roller thing on it.
The airbox was missing and a cone type arrangement fitted.
Exhaust pipes were lagged.

Concerns I have:

Subjective yes, but is it worth the money? You guys know better than me.
Yes mechanicals are common, but is bodywork nigh on irreplaceable?
Is it a total PITA or if you accept it for what it is, a rewarding ownership experience.

Geekay, I'm quite keen as I need a lower powered bike to protect my license and mortality, but feel free to jump in. All's fair in love and ....bikes

Twisted Evil

They offered me £4700 with a new chain, fresh set of rubber, full valet and service.

Many thanks for the welcome and responses. Appreciate it!

Garry
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them to show you how to change the oil filter................ Wink
brian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
Brian, that small screen on the mobile is duping you again (or is it the keys?) Original poster looking at BB1

Oops, I’m a retard Shocked
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
It's a BB1, Brian. The Rotax/BMW powered single. Very Happy

Good to see you guys are taking note Laughing

I’ve alredy used the small screen excuse on another post, so I’m gunna go with....... I was tired Rolling Eyes
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB1's are a glorious looking things , and a niggle I keep having everytime I see one for sale.
But rode one years ago and urm , yeah , looks aren't everything !!!! Shocked
But then don't get me wrong , I spoke to the owner about that bike as well !! Laughing
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the front of the swinging arm for damage from the chain. Normal preventative measure is a larger front sprocket

All the best

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadG wrote:
For me the bike will be a play thing for messing about on. I have recently thinned out most of my bikes, but still retain a ZZR1400 Performance Sport and a ZX6R B1H, so no issues with suitability. It's purpose is for 60 min stress breaks, and keeping an idiot from meddling with more expensive, complex bikes.

I saw the BB1 in question at Jems last Friday. In my opinion not quite as tidy as the pictures depict, but it is over 20 yrs old.

A few things I noted:

Concerns I have:

Is it a total PITA or if you accept it for what it is, a rewarding ownership experience.

Geekay, I'm quite keen as I need a lower powered bike to protect my license and mortality, but feel free to jump in. All's fair in love and ....bikes

Twisted Evil

They offered me £4700 with a new chain, fresh set of rubber, full valet and service.

Garry

Chains always appear to be dragging on the ground with that ONE bimota model...effectively its like a motocrosser set up.....sit on the bike and it tightens up a lot...yup...they have nylon roller guides also like a motocrosser…..like you....I didn't think it that tidy...glossy photos but zoom in and seems to be wiring everywhere.....where there shouldn't be.....Previous owner sold it to dealer....he was selling on ebay for around £3K previously but with no takers...except the dealer...I did ask the seller what he took for it...but he didn't want to tell me
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadG wrote:

A few things I noted:

Concerns I have:

Twisted Evil

Garry

Chains always appear to be dragging on the ground with that ONE bimota model...effectively its like a motocrosser set up.....sit on the bike and it tightens up a lot...yup...they have nylon roller guides also like a motocrosser…..like you....I didn't think it that tidy...glossy photos but zoom in and seems to be wiring everywhere.....where there shouldn't be.....Previous owner sold it to dealer....he was selling on ebay for around £3K previously but with no takers...except the dealer...I did ask the seller what he took for it...but he didn't want to tell me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: