Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

My SB6 with Keihin 41
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3761&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fcr+carb&start=0

Some good info in this thread on FCR39's fitted to a SB6
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
O_Roger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably yes, it was very expensive , over 3000€ in 2003 for fitment, adjusting/tuning and adding a second accelerator pump witch was necessary somehow.

Anyway, I have a real noob question, how to measure the oil and water level on this bike? I can’t even find the water reservoir with the fairing on. I’m apparently losing a bit of oil, after some rides , not all, I find a small oil puddle under the stand the next morning
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the oil on the right of the bike there's a cut out in the fairing. Filling the oil can be "challenging". Either use a mini ratchet and allen bit to get the oil filler out (under the right frame spar on top of the clutch), then use a small funnel with a rubber tube on the end. Or take the seat unit and tank off and fill it through the crank case breather at the top of the engine. You can use a bigger funnel and wider rubber hose with a clip on it - I use this to fill when changing the oil.

Water … coolant Laughing under the fuel tank at the front you'll see the radiator filler - check there, it should be full. I wouldn't worry to much about the expansion tank (its on top of the headlights under the firing) if you put anything in there it fire out the first time it heats up it's not worth arguing with the bike over this. Changing the coolant - drain it by undoing a hose stand the bike up then put it on the stand. Fill it through the rad cap - run the engine with the rad cap off, top it up a little at a time and wait for the bubbles to stop, then put the cap on.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC’s got all the right answers there Wink .

For the oil leak.... probably best to remove the fairing for a good look. Depending on where the puddle forms, maybe a seal.... gear shift rod, output shaft, clutch push rod?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the fairing off - raise the front wheel if you can, I use an Abba front stand, but I think they stopped making them.

Any of those seals is going to be engine out or at least half dropping it. leave it till the winter.
SuziEngine2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
I wouldn't worry to much about the expansion tank (its on top of the headlights under the firing) if you put anything in there it fire out the first time it heats up it's not worth arguing with the bike over this.

Yeah, I found that too. HOWEVER...

My Bimota guy managed to fill it up properly; he warned me not to touch the filler cap near the steering head again. The trick is apparently to fill it up and let it bubble till quiet, then fill it to the brim, close the cap and fill up the expansion tank. I presume the bike is on the paddock stand during that process.

If you fill too much the tank will spill the excess, but after that there will be a few centimeters of fluid in that tank permanently. With the bike on the jiffy you should see about an inch of fluid on the lower (i.e. left) side when the engine is cold.

To be sure: this is on the SB6R. Not sure if the 6 is the same, but I'd expect so.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 6 and I’ve always had ‘some’ coolant in the expansion tank as well. I currently have a minor coolant leak from somewhere so will be stripping to find it and fit new radiator hoses before too long
O_Roger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Check the oil on the right of the bike there's a cut out in the fairing.

Thank you, the oil sight glas apears to be compleatly empty. The engin oil lamp has not come on yet.

And with that, this thread might turn in to a "Help, how to fix" thread

I'll strip the ferring and have a look.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_Roger wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote:
Check the oil on the right of the bike there's a cut out in the fairing.

Thank you, the oil sight glas apears to be compleatly empty. The engin oil lamp has not come on yet.

And with that, this thread might turn in to a "Help, how to fix" thread

I'll strip the ferring and have a look.

I'd definitely put oil in it. It's a pain so sometimes its left (like when you're on holiday)
O_Roger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it not recommended/possible to fill the oil up threw the oil screw?

A picture of the screw I am referring to:

https://i.imgur.com/GCroyc6.jpg

(the one with 10w40 written on it)

Also, what oil is recommended?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_Roger wrote:
Why is it not recommended/possible to fill the oil up threw the oil screw?
A picture of the screw I am referring to https://i.imgur.com/GCroyc6.jpg (the one with 10w40 written on it)

Also, what oil is recommended?

You can (obviously) fill it through there but you need a funnel with a rubber pipe on it. The pipe dia needs to fit in the filler hole and funnel needs to fit in the pipe, so you end up with a small funnel. It takes a lot longer thats all.

10/40wt Semi Synthetic oil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: