Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 Low Fuel Sender
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yb11reno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: YB11 Low Fuel Sender Reply with quote

Has anyone had to replace the sending unit screwed into the bottom of the gas tank. Mine is leaking, I'll try putting silicone or something to stop it, but better solution is to replace the sending unit. Will Yamaha work? It seems like it would be a fairly universal part.

thanks,
Jack
bimotabob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a photo. the earlier ones like my Furano look like Motoguzzi series.
who

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone is not very good with fuel. Yambond? Sikaflex? Dunno, there are not that many sealants that are 100% fuel proof.

I've just had a look at a YB11 tank I have here, and the center part, grommet (between the two screws) is raised in relation to the rest of the tank, this is not going to help the orings seal.

I would gently flatten the raised centre part with a dremel, or similar tool, (Router set to 0 ) carefully without touching the outside. Then fit a new Viton o'ring to the fittings available from good bearing shops, (viton has the highest fuel resistant qualities) with perhaps yambond.

And if that fails:

I remember in my aviation days when we were building long range tanks for the coastal surveillance australian made nomad aircraft (that after fully fitted out couldn't accommodate the full crew due to being over weight) (shoot the engineers...lol)

We used a two part flexible adhesive that we painted onto the aluminium seams (after major modifications) to turn the wing cavity into a fuel tank rather than just a wing.

Talk to aviation suppliers in relation to integral fuel tank sealant. I've got the same problem with my tuatara, and will probably have to do the same.
who

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just pulled a fuel tap off an earlier yb tank, and it has a flat rubber gasket, so the raised part would aid sealing, in the case of the YB11 tank I have here I would certainly spend some time dressing the flange to a more a even disposition, as the one I'm looking at isn't even at all.

Check if the taps have a flat rubber washer, or an o'ring, if they have orings, the surface needs to be flat, if flat rubber washer, it won't hurt for the center section to be raised slightly, but it will need to be even. Check the condition of the gasket or o'ring?

The 1988 YB6 I was recommissioning had oring pet cocks, the YB8 I just looked at the flat rubber washer.

Sorry for any miss information, every day you learn something new. Cheers.

YB11 tank.

yb11reno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: yb11 fuel sender Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions and photo, who. The bike is currently at the dealer. I asked them to remove the fuel sender, once it's out, I'll take a photo and post it here. It's definitely not a Yamaha piece, won't get lucky there like I did with the radiator. I thought someone said it was a moto guzzi piece, so I'll try the moto guzzu dealer to see if he can find something similar.
The shop says it's not the fitting where it screws into the tank, they say fuel is running out where the wires come out of the sensor. I'm guessing it's 20 year old plastic, maybe cracked. Don't know, will be able to look it over once we have it out.

Jack
bimotabob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an or o-ring in mine and replaced a gasket i think, was years ago when it leaks as you say out the wires.

Mine has a brass pipe which is attached possibly by capillary action brazing to the cast aluminium looking housing. They then slid a reed switch up inside the brass fitting which has the other end brazed closed. The reed switch was positioned and the brass pipe was crimped which also stops the float from sliding down to the bottom.

I have attached similar Motoguzzi fuel sensors photos.
Would be great to confirm what actually Bimota uses as I haven't had time to sort.
The other $50,000 question is: does/did the fuel level come on when the desired amount of petrol remains??

Mine needs modifying on the Furano, comes on when 6 liters approx remain. Yes it works but not very helpful.
Will sort it and post details some time as have new tiny reed switch for the job incase i bust mine, ideally a new sensor be better.

Similar but not 100%, flange looks same.

Quite similar also, on mine the flange does pull apart and comes off leaving the sensor like that with black sliding float.
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YB8 fuel sensor is wired through the CDI. When the fuel sensor measures the initial low level, the signal goes to the CDI and dash light. The CDI cuts the ignition on one cylinder to make you aware of the low fuel level and the light comes on the dash. You then press the lighted switch to acknowledge the low fuel and all 4 cylinders come back.

It sounds like a very complicated set up. My bike has never had the fuel sensor so I dunno if it actually works.
bimotabob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck thats interesting how the low fuel system on the earlier YB8 models, i think they used the FZR1000 wiring which means the switch turns on a fuel pump when the level gets low otherwise you cant pull up the last few liters in the tank otherwise.
Didnt realise it went through the CDI/Igneter

On the YB8 Furano its just a simple magnetic switch and light that flashes as the tank gets low and stays on once the switch doesnt get lifted by any fuel when cornering.

When it starts flashing i have a 100kms left so its pretty useless.
Falcolion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thing is that my YB11 doesn’t even have any sensor on the bottom of the gas tank. I only got a fuel connection with a shut-off valve.

The bottom of the tank has what looks like a hint of where sensor has to be placed but it’s fully factory sealed.

Very strange

Did anyone ever seen something like that?
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega

Last edited by Falcolion on Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DB4 and SB6 tanks both have a moulded flange with 2 x threaded brass inserts for the bolts.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Falcolion

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did anyone figured out which fuel sending unit fits into YB11 gas tank?

I don’t have any units in my gas tank. It has a plate and looks like it has been epoxied in place. I would like to get the unit working
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcolion wrote:
So, did anyone figured out which fuel sending unit fits into YB11 gas tank?

I don’t have any units in my gas tank. It has a plate and looks like it has been epoxied in place. I would like to get the unit working

I'm just waiting on some parts to arrive - fingers crossed i'll have a solution to put a more reliable low level sender in Bimota tanks soon...
Falcolion

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome.

If you would have your tank off, could you snap a picture of where this sender unit will go in

Thanks in advance
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcolion wrote:
That would be awesome.

If you would have your tank off, could you snap a picture of where this sender unit will go in

Thanks in advance

I have a SB6, but the level sender fitting is the same (the level sender is longer on the YB tanks I believe?). The only issue with the sender conversion I'll be doing is that the hole for the sender itself will need opening up a little.
Falcolion

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, keep us posted
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: