Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

thoughts on the BB1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: thoughts on the BB1 Reply with quote

I guess it was vibrations that finally caused my fuel tank to crack or leak. Does any owners here know anything about reducing vibrations from a single? To make a new rubber engine mount etc etc,

I read bad reviews about this bike but since i raise my rear height the bike handling is very good, Set up is critcal on this machine.

where else can you find a single with a sports chassis and this weight without shelling out a bundle of cash. I am wondering whether any other 650 single can fit in the chassis . KTM 690 anyone? If i can find this engine that is.

Last edited by 2OR4STROKES on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thought the normal trick to reduce vibration was to mount everything as solidly as possible.

All the best

Keith
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keith

Thats not the way.

Look at the Harley sportster. It vibrates like mad when mounted solidly until they rubber mounted the rest of the Harley range.

Anyway the ladies seemed to like the vibrations although our components failed regularly because of it.

Not much going on here at the single cylinder column. Either there are few bikes or most are asleep and no upgrades in progress.

Hi BB1 you there?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Trouble with rubber mounting it is that you give the vibration a load of movement to build up a lot of resonance making it worse.

All the best

Keith
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my sins, I also run a KTM 640 Adventure single, vibrations aren't as bad as they used to be in the KTM range, used to be after 60 odd miles your fingers went white, along with your toes, and arse cheeks, eyeballs also suffered. But each of their engines differs, and depends more on how they are set up, breath and fed, but you still can end up putting dampers everywhere, ball bearings in the handlebars, acrylic dampers in the handlebar clamps etc. Watch out if buying a KTm lump though, oil levels are crucial, with the cam chain having tabs on them to collect oil from the sump and feed the head and cam etc, level too low and no oil gets there. Also the frame itself has an oil store that pressurises the crank, with breather and bleeding taps in the frame just behind the headstock, not sure how you would fit this in to the BB1 frame. You may have more luck looking for a big trailie single, XL, KLX etc
Anders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an engine transplant is the way to go with the Supermono. But if you want to do it, I would consider the Husaberg, as that is the only other single I can think of with the chain on the right hand side. If you mount a left hand side chain engine, you will run into a lot of trouble I think. Or perhaps not? I haven't really done any measurements, but as the swing arm isn't symmetrical, I'm afraid that the chain will be in conflict with the rear suspension.

But why replace the engine? The Rotax/BMW is a very good single, although a bit the heavy compared to the racer engines of KTM, Husaberg and alike. If you feel that power is too low, it responds very well to tuning. In my engine, I have a high-comp JE piston, a turned-down flywheel and 2x36mm Dell'Orto carbs. The next step is a 105mm piston, big bore cylinder and "Web Cam" 109 and 110 profile cams. I have all the parts laying in my workshop, but haven't got around to mounting them yet.

I don' think replacing the engine with another big single will reduce the vibrations. The Rotax single doesn't vibrate more than others, it's when it's mounted in the BB1 chassis the problem surfaces...
The only good cure I have heard of is to make a front engine mount, hanging from the headstock. I haven't done so myself, as it would have to be followed by a new fuel tank and a lot of other modifications. Team Pami in Germany did this to a racer they built some years ago, at the same time making a CF tank on top (where the tank normally resides on other bikes) and an aluminum oil tank below the engine.

Another modification worth considering is a shorter primary gearing, and a 20t sprocket that lifts the chain off the swingarm slider. This mod greatly improves the service intervals, as I had to replace my chain slider every 2000km or so before the mod, and after, I have ridden several years without doing anything to it.
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I thought of replacing the engine because of the vibrations but after hearing what Anders has to say maybe I should just try to minimise the shakes (Not sure how at this point in time)

I'll strip the bike soon and see where I can improve it.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just vibes though the bars then maybe vary the bar weights (or add some). If it's more serious then maybe something it's quite right in the engine and needs a bit of ballancing
bimotanige

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive just had a weekend riding my BB1 bp up and around the Lake District, done about 400 miles - it only had 1800 on when i bought it in April so i thought a long run will shake out the gremlins (literally). Good points - handling superb as expected and braking distance half most others I was with and 60ish mpg. well what doesnt work now - hmmm, rear seat unit unscrewed itself and nearly fell off, right footpeg unscrewed itself, gear lever/ rod bolt came off, rear suspension remote reservoir broke its mounting, water temp clock doesnt work, oil light permanently on, no low level petrol light working. Good job it has plenty of spanner space in the tank compartment!! Well time to sort it now I know what doesnt work or stay attached !!! off to buy the locktite Rolling Eyes
oily

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a story about British bikes in the 60/70's
bimotanige

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes does rather remind me of my BSA Starfire in that way Laughing Laughing
bimotanige

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks like the loctite and nyloc nuts have done the trick as nothing came off this time out for a decent run. The oil tank still seems to throw oil out of the breather but Ive put a remote capture reservoir on it and no oil anywhere apart from in the reservoir Very Happy Very Happy . Replaced the broken bulbs and fitted a new temp gauge - Sorted
oily

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result Laughing
Broken bulbs are best replaced with LED's which have far greater resistance to that amount of vibration Wink
bimotanige

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice suggestion oily - I'll get a few bulbs in and replace when they blow. May be a solution for my Duke as well as that eats bulbs - usually on the way to MOT Sad , cheers
fearenside

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dealt with the vibration by trying to isolate myself from it. I added another 1/2 inch of foam to the saddle and fitted 'convertibars'. These are admittedly a bit ugly for a Bimota but took some weight off my wrists and cut down the amount of vibration transmitted drastically.
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/fearenside/bimota/convertibars.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: