Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SANTAMONICA FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Vort on the servicing first.

There is an update to the ecu mapping. The only way to tell which version map you have is hook it up to laptop.

I repaired a Santamonica ecu for Bob at Bimota Spirit. It was dumping twice the amount of fuel in the motor. It took some time but I found the problem and sent him home with a running bike.

The SB8R ecu might be an option if your wanting to keep the all Italian thing going. It has the option of controlling the SB8K's radial injectors.

I respect pkay's opinion, but I LOVE my SB8R!! I put at least 120 miles a weekend on it without any problems. Now that I got the suspension sorted, I hope to not loose any more fillings! Shocked
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R Tuner wrote:

It has the option of controlling the SB8K's radial injectors.

I never knew that !!! Does the R run Pegaso ecu also ?

That leads me to another question , does the servo operating the injectors cycle on switch on ?
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R Tuner wrote:

It has the option of controlling the SB8K's radial injectors.

I never knew that !!! Does the R run Pegaso ecu also ?

That leads me to another question Matt , does the servo operating the injectors cycle on switch on ?
pkay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R Tuner wrote:
I respect pkay's opinion,

Not really an opinion more an expression of ignorance and certainly not worthy of anyone's respect. Truth is I'd be happy with another Bimota in the garage of any type, even something as visually challenging as a Tuatara!
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkay wrote:
SB8R Tuner wrote:
I respect pkay's opinion,

Not really an opinion more an expression of ignorance and certainly not worthy of anyone's respect. Truth is I'd be happy with another Bimota in the garage of any type, even something as visually challenging as a Tuatara!

I respect your ignorance then!! Laughing Maybe I'm ignorant on the opposite side for really enjoying my SB8R!! Laughing

vort28 wrote:
Does the R run Pegaso ecu also ?

No, it uses a Magneti Marelli ecu. I have not tried to setup a device to use that type of function yet. But, I have thought about using it to setup variable length velocity stacks.

I actually repaired two Santamonica ecu's for Bob. One was over fueling as I previously stated, and the other was a DOA ecu out of the crate.

Check the initialization of the injectors when you cut the key on as vort stated. If the ecu is booting up correctly, they will do a little dance.
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R Tuner wrote:

I actually repaired two Santamonica ecu's for Bob. One was over fueling as I previously stated, and the other was a DOA ecu out of the crate.

Have heard of others that have issues from the crate , although always been rough running not completely dead.
Guess its part of pioneering one off systems for small numbers of production. Very labour intensive , full of bugs / probably not tested as it should be and does not take manufacturing variations into account.
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any luck Matt?
Have you checked anything yet? Curious minds want to know!!
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt seems to have gone Awol since his 2nd post.....Meanwhile....Ben Wylie of Amore Moto in the UK...ex and now "back on" bimota dealer...and is advertising a New DB9 for sale...has been posting up test riding a SantaMonica and test bedding it….So I'm sort of guessing that Matt's bike has gone to him to sort....AND....one of Bens friends on Facebook has reported that he has the connecting cable and programme for playing with the ECU...and reportedly this bloke claims to have done a lot of set up for bimota on the SB8K's...…….
matt guffogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you guys know the Santa is sorted fault down to a water leak causing the temp sensor to read ,low until eventually getting hot then too hot
New hose fitted new plugs and all fluids
Noe completed around 300 miles with no problems
the power is awesome compared to my TL of 18 years ownership
Very pleased with bike
Next if i can is to get info on the lead required to look at the fuel maps and type of ECU and if so are the maps locked any info would be appreciated
matt guffogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen the post and yes David did the work but has not got the lead required for the Santa
Steve at Motrac who i have used for 20 years tells me he can probably sort the rich fueling if i get a lead and tell him exactly the type and model of ECU
He did have a lead but someone borrowed it and never got it back
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Matt, glad you have it sorted. Can take a bit of perseverance sometimes to get some models sorted but they are worth it. Now you will have the problem of Bimotatitis, the urge to add more Bimotas to the garage Smile
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's very disappointing.
You buy a bike were there are only 40 or so in existence and then someone 40 miles away buys one exactly the same Laughing

Glad to here its running OK Matt, seems like the previous owner did not try that hard at sorting it out, maybe his none runner SB8RS is easy to fix also.

No idea what other machines the pegaso ECU's were used on other than the SB8K's TBH , and surprised anyone actually had a lead to plug them in, the only one I knew of was in Italy.
matt guffogg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen a post from Zombie says he has fitted IWP 189 Ducati 1098 fuel injectors to his SB8K as they are shower type and not single as on the original
Has anyone else tried this option or any more info on possible remap
even after a long ride the plugs are still sooty although running ok think long term needs sorting
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still run the single point with no real issues, but have got the Duc injector mod to try one day.
Zombie assured me it worked with no issues , but then my Santa and his Gobert were the only 8K's I knew of in uk.
matt guffogg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi not posted for a while
just to let anyone interested i have had the fueling sorted on Santamonica by Chris Gunster at his place in Grimsby
I now have a power commander installed fueling is bang on after a long run stopped started perfect on inspection the plugs are not fouled and bike runs sweet i have the fuel maps to go with from the dino charts
Chris did say the biggest issue was below 5k way over fueling
Was a bit of a task for him i think but good results in the end
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: