Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DBP fork settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raidermoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: DBP fork settings Reply with quote

Hi guys, been reading through the DB9S thread looking for a bit of info on a couple of things. I've recently bought a 2013 with 12k k's, but the 1st owner had front forks modified. 9.2kg spring, 5w oil and 140mm (5.5") air gap. I've almost maxed our comp & rebound, and still way too soft for hard breaking. Really hoping to find answers to below if anyone can help.
1: How do you turn off the spanner light?
2: What is the oem front spring, air-gap and oil weight?

Cheers Moz
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help you with the suspension....but can do with the "red spanner" light on the Koso presumably dashboard.

It indicates it needs a service....and is only "tripped" purely by mileage travelled as it is not linked to the ECU....To switch it off/reset it.....turn the ignition on and start the bike.....so that it is stationary but with the engine running...…….Then....press down and hold in the start button for something like 15 seconds....and the red spanner light should magically disappear until the next time it is triggered by a mileage service interval which is preset into the clocks.

Dont worry...pressing the starter button when engine is running wont engage the starter again....as its also the button for starting the lap timer on the koso clocks.....Once light is off you can turn the ignition key off and shut down....turn back on and light should stay off...let me know if it worked OK
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you have the red anodised Marzocchi Corse 43mm dia front forks with the black DLC?

Owners manuals sometimes at least fork oil type and maybe volume....Do you have this? Or Workshop Manual for the bike or for DB7 fitted with the same forks?

Also see here if no-one on here can help....a list of other bikes using the same forks....so other avenues for you to pursue as its darn hard to find marzocchi service manuals on the net for some reason

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/23-bikes-affected-if-marzocchi-closes

Hate to mention it as it sounds "daft"...but coz you havent mentioned it....have you tried adjusting the preload on the front forks?.....Standard setting on the forks according to the DB7 manual is to turn both preload adjusters clockwise all the way in....Which is Hard/severe setting....and then turn both out by 7.5 full turns.....The tops of the forks outer nut is preload...the small flat blade screw inside the tops is rebound
Raidermoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims, thank you for this, greatly appreciated!!

2bims wrote:
Cant help you with the suspension....but can do with the "red spanner" light on the Koso presumably dashboard.

It indicates it needs a service....and is only "tripped" purely by mileage travelled as it is not linked to the ECU....To switch it off/reset it.....turn the ignition on and start the bike.....so that it is stationary but with the engine running...…….Then....press down and hold in the start button for something like 15 seconds....and the red spanner light should magically disappear until the next time it is triggered by a mileage service interval which is preset into the clocks.

Dont worry...pressing the starter button when engine is running wont engage the starter again....as its also the button for starting the lap timer on the koso clocks.....Once light is off you can turn the ignition key off and shut down....turn back on and light should stay off...let me know if it worked OK

Raidermoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims, thank you for this, greatly appreciated!!

2bims wrote:

Raidermoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims, mine has black 43mm Marzi's, my 8SP has the ano red but they appear identical other than colour. I looked through the handbooks and no mention of oil weight, but i'll research the link you provided and hopefully make some sense of it. I've maxed out compression and have what I feel is about as much preload as the spring can cope with. The first owner only tootled about the city & had the springs changed. I reckon the shop made it softer and dropped the weight to help soften the ride. I remember all the whining from 916 Ducati owners who found the ride too harsh as well, and a similar spring & oil was a fix for the blouses Smile

Thanks for helping out, I'll come back with an outcome for future reference.

2bims wrote:
Presumably you have the red anodised Marzocchi Corse 43mm dia front forks with the black DLC?

Owners manuals sometimes at least fork oil type and maybe volume....Do you have this? Or Workshop Manual for the bike or for DB7 fitted with the same forks?

Also see here if no-one on here can help....a list of other bikes using the same forks....so other avenues for you to pursue as its darn hard to find marzocchi service manuals on the net for some reason

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/23-bikes-affected-if-marzocchi-closes

Hate to mention it as it sounds "daft"...but coz you havent mentioned it....have you tried adjusting the preload on the front forks?.....Standard setting on the forks according to the DB7 manual is to turn both preload adjusters clockwise all the way in....Which is Hard/severe setting....and then turn both out by 7.5 full turns.....The tops of the forks outer nut is preload...the small flat blade screw inside the tops is rebound

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth....on the Original Ducati Diavels they used 10W for oil....but for later Ducati Diavel Carbon models they reduced it down to 7.5W fork oil....Marzocchi forks on both models...albeit 50mm ones...I can try and check if the workshop manuals for DB5 and DB6 state fork oil for the marzocchi forks fitted to those if you like? albeit again these are 50mm forks
Raidermoto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims, I've got a Diavel Dark, 2015 I think so probably the lighter oil, which surprises me as despite its weight the forks aren't too bad, although they're almost topped out on all the settings. Before the last run on the 9 I maxed out the comp and I think it actually felt worse. Something weird going on inside though as it locked the front tyre a couple of times when having a decent go, yet the zip tie isn't showing the fork bottoming, very close, unless there's more exposed leg then capacity inside?? I think I'll increase the spring and oil and see if that helps.

BTW, my l/h blinker is having a spaz. It flashes once when I first hit the switch, then the only thing that flashes is the number plate light. I removed the front cover and the bulbs have the smallest sign of light, so there's a micro level of power getting there, but not enough to function properly. Any suggestions?

Cheers Moz

2bims wrote:
For what its worth....on the Original Ducati Diavels they used 10W for oil....but for later Ducati Diavel Carbon models they reduced it down to 7.5W fork oil....Marzocchi forks on both models...albeit 50mm ones...I can try and check if the workshop manuals for DB5 and DB6 state fork oil for the marzocchi forks fitted to those if you like? albeit again these are 50mm forks

brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidermoto wrote:

BTW, my l/h blinker is having a spaz. It flashes once when I first hit the switch, then the only thing that flashes is the number plate light. I removed the front cover and the bulbs have the smallest sign of light, so there's a micro level of power getting there, but not enough to function properly. Any suggestions?

Cheers Moz
]

Classic symptoms of a bad earth Maurice
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Raidermoto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Raidermoto wrote:

Cheers Moz
]

Raidermoto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, I thought they were LED's but not so, & you're right to a point, it was a short. The cause was the pathetically unprofessional workmanship of the Oz importer. Clearly, Bimota never supplied Urbanmoto with the Euro test reports when the model was complied locally, as they've removed lights & flashers to have them tested. I found the same appalling workmanship on my 8SP. Cheap arse wire connectors & wires strained ridiculously tight rather than replacing the shortened looms. They'd even put the rear blinkers on upside down, so the drain holes were facing the sky, and consequently filled with water and completely corroded the springs & bulb sockets. The circuits were so strained they're eaten through the outer loom plastic and actual wiring plastic! All good now.

brian wrote:
Raidermoto wrote:

Cheers Moz
]

brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted mate.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: