Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: DB1 restoration Reply with quote

I've just moved my DB1 from the corner of the garage to the work stand. It's been sitting quietly in the corner not complaining for about 25 years. It needs some TLC to return it to the road.

I'd like to begin with the brakes. I'd like to replace ALL the seals from hand lever to caliper. I see there is a topic covering this but I thought I'd throw this out there and see if there is any new information about where to find parts for this.

If there is interest, I'll attach pics and the back story of the bike as I go through the resto.
RWG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted, for sure.
roli57

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, we want more... Smile

Bikes: Ducati Pantah + Cagiva Alazzurra Custom + 2 x Bimota DB1 + Honda Clubman 650 + KTM-SOS-Racer
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, some interest shown.

Thinking back to the back story of how this became part of my life. Cycle Canada had a write up about the DB1 when it was announced (1985?). I wish I still had that issue but it disappeared at some point. The picture which accompanied the article made me think "I need one of those!" The article didn't explain how you bought one in Canada so I wrote the magazine requesting information how to purchase. They sent me back an advertisement of the distributor.
I'm not sure if I wrote or called to inquire as to how to purchase but some weeks later a box arrived at my house, inside was a DB1.
Some assembly was required. I do remember installing the front wheel but the rest isn't clear now. Licensing was a little awkward as the paperwork was lacking but all worked out. I was now an owner of a genuine Bimota!

Somewhere I heard about the "kit" which became available to upgrade the motor, being young and curious, I purchased that too. It certainly made it much more lively. It also now didn't have any air cleaners. At that point I became a little reluctant to ride it so much. Gradually it began to not be ridden at all. Then it went to the corner of the garage where it took up residence.

A few thoughts past by over the years to return it to active duty but they usually got forgotten before any true action occurred. I became a little more serious about fixing it up in the last few years as I'm getting fricken old. I better do something before it's too late!
I also took up riding at track days, which seems to entail a fair amount of maintenance. The past few winters crash damage took up the whole winter in the shop. This year however, with a new (to me) Yamaha R1M, we survived the year with no major damage. It's been cleaned and prepped for winter storage and I've got some time to look at the Bimota.

I'll post a couple of pics of it sitting on the work stand. I'm really hoping I can gather everything together to make it a runner for next spring. At the moment I know I need to rebuild the brakes and clutch hydraulics, so next post will have more specific questions about that.
Any thoughts if I should post specifically about that or just continue here?

Sorry.. pics later. Photobucket is now a paid site. I got to spend sometime figuring out how to post pics...

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooo...pictures....I'm interested as well now......looks a very nice starting point...…

Seals for the brembo calipers are available.....its the ruddy masters for the front brake and clutch that you'll find problems with......they're definitely brembo as the number stamps on the underside of the units is a brembo sequence....I opted for new Gold series Brembo masters....but still fed via the brake fluid lines from the standard reservoir pots on top of the forks (which also act as retainers for the fork springs)…..the brembo gold series just clear the narrow fairing opening for lock to lock....but also give you adjustable levers which dont require so much effort to pull and ride.....original levers are dog leg but bend the wrong way....my fingers got quickly tired...
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. This is the brake master cylinder.

As I understand it the bore of the cylinder is the first number in the size.
How is the stroke measured? It appears to my uninformed eye, the extension on the end of the piston limits how far the piston can stroke. Not sure how to extrapolate that into a stroke measurement...
rpo83

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to you rebuild pics, though to be honest, the bike looks to be in fantastic condition...

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, good point.

Maybe should have titled the post, DB1 refurbish. It's always been in a heated garage.

Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the clutch master cylinder.

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you managing to extract the pistons and seals from the brake and clutch masters? What holds them in place?
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Steve at Bevel Heaven https://store.bevelheaven.com/
or Gowanloch https://ducati-gowanloch.com/shop/ are both extremely helpful on sourcing rebuild parts for this era of motorcycle.

From memory the clutch and the master cylinder are the same diameter as Marconi wanted them to look the same, normally the clutch and master cylinder would be different diameters to give you the correct effort for each one - this explains why the clutch feels heavy compared to a Ducati of a similar era.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I had the master cylinder on the shop bench I began looking for the circlip to allow the piston out.
Hummm no clip and my eyesight is crappy so even with a magnifying glass, no clip.

http://www.laverdamania.net/Repair%20Guide%20Clutch%20and%20Brake%20Master.pdf

ahhhhh... a couple of taps with a hammer and all was revealed.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.

My searching tweaked an old memory. A buddy with a Laverda had told me about this man some years back.

http://www.laverda.ca/Allitalia/allitaliabrakes.htm

I've been in touch with him and he replied he could help. My plan at the moment is to send the 3 master cylinders to him for rebuild and get the caliper parts from him to do myself.

More to come later.....
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 'Laverdamania' link on taking these master cylinders apart. I have to admit when restoring my DB1 it was my intention to rebuild the master cylinders but gave up when I couldn't find a circlip, now it makes sense. I wasn't that bothered at the time because the cylinders were functioning OK. I replaced all the the hoses and rebuilt the calipers but am having a lot of trouble trying to prime the system with fluid now. With 2bims help I will be having a serious final attempt soon.
I have been informed Brembo no longer supply service parts for master cylinders, so hopefully you will track down a supplier still holding stock. Brembo themselves do offer a rebuild service, but at a price!
Be interested to know what size your brake and clutch masters are.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm curious what the sizes are too. Sadly I don't have a micrometer which will fit inside and my calipers can't get in there either.

Where there is a will there is a way....

An 11mm socket fits into the clutch master quite tight. I dare not push it too far.

If you measure the outside diameter... 16mm is pretty close. But it would get stuck inside if pushed too far. Maybe the number stamped on the casting shows it's a 15mm?

The brake master takes a 9mm socket and it fits pretty close.

Measure that diameter.... almost bang on 14mm. I'd have no problem saying it's a 14mm bore.

The rear brake removes all doubt.

For now, until I hear different. I'm going to say the clutch is a 15mm and the brake (front) is a 14mm.
Those numbers stamped on the clutch casting might be something Bimota added? Maybe they increased the bore to a different size? All speculation on my part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: