Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB7 Wanted.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting the bike ready for the road, the carbs were pulled apart and found to be clogged up with old petrol, they were cleaned and put back on and the bike still wasn't running right, we think it's the needles so will play with those. Mid range is a bit fluffy, you can ride it but it could be better.

Latest set back was when i went to turn it over and the oil light was staying on, i revved it a few times and it spat out fuel from the breather, turns out fuel has been leaking into the motor, not sure how or for how long. Probably about 4 liters of fuel went in so am in the process of flushing the motor to get rid of any fuel still there. Will get that sorted and give it to my mechanic and he will hopefully sort it out.

There are now 2 half faired Redbro DB4s for sale here in NZ, they are both on our local auction site trademe. The person i brought mine from has brought them all in and he has another 3 on the way. He also has about 20 Bimotas coming in in various states. His website is marcoimports.co.nz.
I'll be looking at a YB7 he is bringing in.

Thanks for posting the photos, my bike is like the first one with the solo seat, i looked at a duel seat one but it didn't do it for me.
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

Vort... do you know if they had the same revised fuel tank as the Corse bikes?

I don't know for sure but the spec says Mikuni flat sides not Keihin FCR flatsides and I'm sure I've seen on here that the tank does not need modifying for the Mikuni carbs.
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk wrote:

Latest set back was when i went to turn it over and the oil light was staying on, i revved it a few times and it spat out fuel from the breather, turns out fuel has been leaking into the motor, not sure how or for how long.

Does your bike have the vacuum pump/valve on the bottom of the fuel tank still ?

djk wrote:

Thanks for posting the photos, my bike is like the first one with the solo seat, i looked at a duel seat one but it didn't do it for me.

They do look very nice, like Brian I had not heard of Redbro until you mentioned them.

Hopefully you will get it running soon as the DB4 is a fantastic bike. Small and light with enough power to bring a smile to your face Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by vort28 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
brian wrote:

Vort... do you know if they had the same revised fuel tank as the Corse bikes?

I don't know for sure but the spec says Mikuni flat sides not Keihin FCR flatsides and I'm sure I've seen on here that the tank does not need modifying for the Mikuni carbs.

Ahh yep, I didn't pick on the fact that it has Mikuni's. Stock tank can be used with the Mikuni flat slides as you say. I've thought about buying a set of TDMR Mikuni's a few times but it's not in the budget just yet.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
djk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it retains the original tank with the vacuum pump/valve. The tank has had fuel in it since i purchased it so it it seems strange that one day it decided to leak. My mechanic has said it has happened to other bikes and they do the oil flush put petrol in the tank and it has never happened again.

With the Mikuni's the tank is left standard, it even has a fuel tap that i have no idea how i could access it with it's fairing on. Mine came with K&N pod filters already fitted, i'm not sure if the Redbro bikes came with those standard or retained the original air box.

I had a look at a YB7 recently imported, mirrors missing, no front brake discs, leaky fork seals, fairings okay but not mint and i'm guessing it's been sitting for a while, 6000kms on the clock. He wanted $4000nz(2000pounds) for it and am tempted but think if i buy it it would just end up in the garage for me to ogle every once and a while.

Last edited by djk on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
djk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DB1 860"]Initially I though you where talking about the red DB4 that collettoremoto is selling on Trademe...but that's fuel injected...He's had it for awhile now...I was thinking of buying it, leaving it there and using it as transport when im over in NZ once or twice a year...my concern is the fuel injection, and Im not sure if carbs will fit straight in.
Did you have a look at that DB4? what's the Redbro model?[/quote]

I saw it on the local website but wasn't interested as he prices all his bikes on the high side, i don't think there is the market here in NZ for the money he wants. I live close to this importer who brings bikes in from Japan and he lists them on his website and all you do is ring him and put one on hold until they land and then you go have a look and say yes or no. I had a look at 3 DB4's he brought in before purchasing this one and was very happy with the condition of this bike. I paid 12000nz for it and have spent another 1000 on it, tyres were the biggest purchase, my mechanic is doing other work as a perky so his time isn't that expensive. Collettoremoto does all this work before selling his bikes so that is a bonus.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk wrote:

With the Mikuni's the tank is left standard, it even has a fuel tap that i have no idea how i could access it with it's fairing on. Mine came with K&N pod filters already fitted, i'm not sure if the Redbro bikes came with those standard or retained the original air box.

I had a look at a YB7 recently imported, mirrors missing, no front brake discs, leaky fork seals, fairings okay but not mint and i'm guessing it's been sitting for a while, 6000kms on the clock. He wanted $4000nz(2000pounds) for it and am tempted but think if i buy it it would just end up in the garage for me to ogle every once and a while.

A lot of Bimotas are famed for having fuel taps that are totally inaccessible unless you remove fairings and lift the tank off...but then generally the taps are simply "on and Off" taps...without a reserve...so are just there to close the flow when needed to remove the hose and remove the tank.....DB2 has a fuel tap you can just access....but again...its only "off" and "on"...no reserve...but handy in winter when wanting the drain the carbs before storing up....you can run the bike with the tap off until engine peters out...

RedBro bikes probs would all have pod filters....upsize of carbs from stock and upsize of end can means more air needed...

Not a bad price for a YB7....but those front discs are not just a bugger to find...but very expensive also if wanting to keep standard...circa £600 a pair....And....they are 280mm dia and not the "standard" 320mm dia used on a lot of Bimotas.......I wouldnt buy the bike unless discs could be found first....mirrors are FZR1000 units but getting pretty rare also...fork seals wouldnt be an issue as regards availability at least
djk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, especially about the discs, will do some more homework and go from there.
djk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today has been a good day, i picked up a SB8RS and have finally sorted out the running issues with my DB4. After visiting several mechanics with varying results we simply just removed the flatsides and went to a dyno jet kit fitted 38mm CV carb and the bike is running great. My mechanic has said it would have lost some HP and response but it is 100 times better than what it was. The issue was definitely the 40mm Mikuni flatsides that were fitted by Redbro, we just couldn't get them sorted and there is little to no information about these carbs anywhere to be found. My mechanic would like to sort the 40mm carbs but i'm not interested as the bike really is running well. It is a neat little bike to ride and i look forward to riding it more.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk wrote:
Today has been a good day, i picked up a SB8RS and have finally sorted out the running issues with my DB4. After visiting several mechanics with varying results we simply just removed the flatsides and went to a dyno jet kit fitted 38mm CV carb and the bike is running great. My mechanic has said it would have lost some HP and response but it is 100 times better than what it was. The issue was definitely the 40mm Mikuni flatsides that were fitted by Redbro, we just couldn't get them sorted and there is little to no information about these carbs anywhere to be found. My mechanic would like to sort the 40mm carbs but i'm not interested as the bike really is running well. It is a neat little bike to ride and i look forward to riding it more.

Interested in selling the 40mm flatslides?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
djk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mechanic wants to keep them just in case that one day they can be sorted. He also has a couple of 900ss that these would fit so i could see them being of use to him.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk wrote:
My mechanic wants to keep them just in case that one day they can be sorted. He also has a couple of 900ss that these would fit so i could see them being of use to him.

No worries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: