Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw the reply about the plastic switch being still available from Suzuki, I was blown away by that. I was expecting this was made by some obscure European manufacture.
But then I thought about the headlight and it's pretty obvious Bimota was looking to use better quality electrical bits.
Thanks 2bims!
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to look inside the calipers.

Honestly, calipers at the front don't deteriorate at all if kept in a warm dry enviroment. This looks almost brand new inside. There is that 85 casting number showing up again. I'm gonna have to see what else happened that year.

I was warned there might be some clean-up required on the pistons. Which might have needed a little abrasive cleaner. I'm just going to use some brake cleaner then coat everything with clean brake fluid. It was a great preservative all these years.

I thought I read somewhere there were two sizes possible. Might be wrong on that but these are for sure 38mm pistons on the front.

Look inside the rear tomorrow.....
rpo83

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of doing my goldline brembos on my YB5, my castings are 86.. I elected to fit new pistons, seals, pins, pads and bolts. The fronts are done, i'll wait a while before i do my rear.

It was a pretty easy job, i've just got to run new stainless lines from the new master cylinders and i'll be back on the road.

I do like the integrated reservoirs on the DB1, i'm trying to decide what to do on the YB5.. I should look for some DB1 reservoirs as we have the same front forks.... hmmm they might be difficult to find... would you mind showing me images of your reservoirs in detail as i might see if it is viable to get some made.

20180909_122844s by Motorbike Owner, on Flickr

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I believe Bimota Classic Parts have the DB1 reservoirs (500282432 and 500282433) and the hose nipples, but not sure about the reservoir caps. You would need to check the threads on the existing YB5 fork stanchions as the alloy reservoirs have quite a coarse thread.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bigger question is "What holds the original M1R springs in on standard forks.....Ducati Paso etc"...….Are the standard for tubes normally threaded on the inside to take a cap that fits in the tubes? Rather than a thread on the outside that takes a cap?....Shows you how much effort bimota went to for just aesthetics in placing the res pots on top of the forks.....done by no other manufacturer on any other bike (although replicated by Bimota on the tesi3D "forks" top yoke

You have a standard set of M1R forks dont you Paul? Whats the top arrangement?

I'm thinking the DB1 has longer bespoke fork tubes that project beyond the clip ons and have the coarse thread on the external face as opposed to internal face like on the YB5
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics; internal thread:

Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd be a piece of piss for a competent machinest to make. Heck, If i got off my arse and sorted out the power feed on my lathe I could probably make a set.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, a few pics of the reservoirs.

Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brake caliper

32mm pistons in this.

Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new friend Wolfgang called to tell me the master cylinders are ready to be returned to me. One of the reasons it was so quick, he was curious about them.
I'll try to distill what he told me about them.

First off the brake master cylinder is a 14mm. Highly unusual he says, brembo only made them for a brief while. In his opinion they were the best size for the calipers. My good news is he had a rebuild kit sitting waiting for that cylinder. Bad news for all others is it was his last and they are mega difficult to find. He's going to recommend to others that they have the cylinder bored out to accept the 15mm rebuild kits. Hopefully I'll die before it needs to be rebuilt again Razz.

The clutch side is what is referred to as a 15mm. it's not really, it's a 5/8 inch bore. So it's between 15 and 16 mm. That explains how I came up with my measurement which is neither 15 or 16mm. Easy to find rebuild kits for the brake at this size, clutch not so much. Refer back to the pic of that piston and there is a teflon end to it. This is because on the clutch side the lever goes through full travel. Without that teflon it would wear-out too quickly. They can make their own pistons using brembo bits and using parts of brake re-rebuild kits. Because that is $$, he said my piston was in good condition so they just changed the seals from a 15mm brake kit and used my old piston.

Rear brake was just a standard rebuild kit. Difficult to bleed he says when I go to refit. He recommended using a syringe to push the brake fluid in, rather than trying to bleed it conventionally.

The box with new caliper seals should be on it's way to me tomorrow Smile.

I forgot to ask about recommended brake fluid, any opinions here?
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a new toy. I was curious how the cylinder bores looked without removing the heads. I've not been turning the engine over and was worried maybe corrosion had begun.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071V7W8F2/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

It's ok for $33. The mirror doesn't fit into the spark plug hole. I was hoping it would. Seems for the price it'll be useful for other projects.

I would say the bores look like new. No worries that i can see.

Last edited by Rocketron on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are storing a motorcycle I'd recommend you remove the brake fluid. You've probably read, it's tough on paint work.

Thankfully the fonts seem to have survived. Got to research the red and green paint for the stripes.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image works in the UK have the templates for the decals for the lettering. I also have a .dwg CAD file if you have a tame graphics person. Note: In both instances these will have either be painted and applied as decals or they can be used as stencils if you want to pain the graphics onto the bodywork directly.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front forks have been disassembled, Ellis found a bushing which should be replaced. He says it's been difficult to locate a new one.
He sent me a pic of the right leg apart

Here is a link to his website.

http://stsracing.ca/
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived today from my friendly local Suzuki dealer.

https://www.themilezero.com/

The total cost $8.69. Wait time less than a week. The packaging does look a little faded, it may have been sitting in a bin for quite a while.

Interesting visit there. The owner just bought a Suzuki RE5 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RE5.

All original but needing much care to return it to clean status.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: