Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 - wave rotors - question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeoDaniel82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: SB6 - wave rotors - question Reply with quote

Hey folks, I was wondering, if anyone tried installing wave rotors on their Bimotas? How do they perform compared to the regular drilled brake rotors?
I am just considering them as an option, as I need to replace both pads and rotors, and thought of giving them a try. But before, wanted to hear someone's opinion.
Thanks,
Leo.

PS. I've got a '95 SB6.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need to replace the rotors ? You know the originals are fully floating and probably rattle a bit. That's probably just the spring washers gone flat ... search on here theres a link to some replacements.
If you do replace them I'd go with Brembo Oreo discs ... most wave are more fashion than function.
LeoDaniel82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, the rotors I've got at the moment do not rattle or something. But they look worn and something's wrong with them, as if the bike is left for a week in the garage, they get covered with rust. Seems like the previous owner either tried restoring them with a kind of solution that causes this corrosion (at least, this what I've read on one forum, people say that there is such restoration liquid that causes this kind of corrosion with time).

Now, as for the wave rotors, I was just curious about them, since they look different, than the regular ones. And I didn't have a chance to try them out yet. That's why I thoight maybe I will give them a try and see, how they will work. I've seen good reviews on Galfer rotors (https://www.motorcycleid.com/galfer/standard-floating-wave-brake-rotor-mpn-df184cw.html) and Braking wave rotors (do not have the link handy), but didn't manage to find anyone saying how they perform on the Bimota bikes. That's why decided to post here prior to making the decisiong.

I didn't have a chance to read about the Brembo Oreo series brake discs, so I guess I will check on them this weekend. Appreciate your recommendation, sir!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want those rusty old discs I'll take them off your hands Smile

The discs are iron rich and will rust up if you put the bike away when they're wet or if you have a damp garage, they're good discs. The other thing to know is the discs are held with countersunk bolts due to the wheel hub getting close to the speedo drive / fork bottoms.
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
If you don't want those rusty old discs I'll take them off your hands Smile

EC your such a gent , will to take the rusty old disc's off his hands !! Shocked Laughing

Leo as EC says the disc's are cast iron , high friction, proper race spec items , cost a fortune new . Not made for looks like the stainless rotors with lower co-efficient of friction , they are made to perform.
TBH if you wash your bike they will turn rusty orange before they dry, comes straight off when you use the bike.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only say in Laughing Laughing Laughing
LeoDaniel82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying, folks. I have set up an appointment witj my local shop to have them look into these rotors for me, and I believe I will keep them as they are as long as they are good.....
O_Roger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was shocked after leaving the bike outside for 1 rainy night just to see the discs look like they’ve bin salvaged from the Titanic the next day. But the rust comes straight off with some break cleaner or a few Km.
Now I find that rather nice as it just shows that this is not your everyday Joe’s bike.
Anyways, the pre-owner had PVM Magnesium’s with wave discs and I highly disliked the looks. Wave discs just don’t fit old bikes that good imo.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeoDaniel82 wrote:
Thanks for replying, folks. I have set up an appointment witj my local shop to have them look into these rotors for me, and I believe I will keep them as they are as long as they are good.....

A word of caution - you see how I selflessly offered to take them off your hands, well some less scrupulous garages might do the same. These are not common discs they were fitted to the top range Ducatis and as such they're worth more used than a new set of replacements. If they say they need replacing make sure you're going to keep the originals.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd EC .

They may also claim with being high iron they should not be on the road , or will crack. Don't believe a word of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: