Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota DB1 - Rear MArzocchi Shock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever found a source for the bump stop?

I've got my shock apart and would love to place a new bump stop in it before reassembly.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For A N Other on here I found a replacement look-a-like new bump stop from some BMW motorbike....cant recall which one though....struggling to find any bump stops other than for cars shock absorbers....which would work but maybe you'd have to cut down in size....I'd say try searching for Marzocchi Spares....but it brings up a lot of Mountain bike stuff...and the factory closed some time ago.....
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a "google" image search for motocross bump stops....which are usually for mon suspension units....and they carry continual spares from high use and wear

Not sure on sizes but could be cut down....and if hole too tight could be drilled/filed larger....

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1066/46886/Factory-Connection-Heavy-Duty-Rubber-Shock-Bumper

https://www.shocktech.co.uk/suspension-motocross/suspension-motocross-parts/motocross-misc-suspension/shock-bottom-out-bump-stop.html
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in whats inside, just stripped & serviced the shock out of my 1987 DB1..Bit of a bugger to bleed up but well worth it, oil inside was horrible.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your white tray have a painted pattern of washers on it....or are all those out of the rear shock unit??? How many????????...24 small ones and 8 various sized large????
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your white tray have a painted pattern of washers on it....or are all those out of the rear shock unit??? How many????????...24 small ones and 8 various sized large????
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did speak with the representatives from http://www.revsracing.co.uk/index.htm at the Manchester Bike Show earlier this year and showed them the shock. They said it should not be problem to rebuild it and find a suitable bumpstop, though I have yet to send it in.
I think you have already done the hard part by getting it apart. I think any bump stop with the right diameter for the piston rod should do the trick and trim its height (thickness) to suit. Do you have the old bump stop to use as a guide?
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Thats all out of the shock - small shims are rebound, large ones are compression. And answering your question on pressure, we put 10 bar back into it.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the shock is apart. The bump stop isn't in too bad a shape for it's age. I could re-use it but I'd prefer to replace it.
All my searching has proven useless. I'm leaning toward finding something close and cutting it to fit.

Always thought there was a difference in density between bump stops to allow tuning of the final movement before bottoming.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the "difference in density"....I well imagine that after 30 years on the bike its substantially changed over the years....They can also look fine...but then disintegrate when you merely blink at them....Seeing as you've stripped it down its best to replace even if its not the same as was....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: