Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hi to everyone, i am new to the site and looking for some advise. I have been looking for an SB6 for a little while but not found anything suitable. A series 2 model has cropped up that i have been to see today with 6k miles on it. Its a 1997 2 owners from new bike, 2nd owner a retired chap who's done only 1000 miles on it in 9 years. First owner had it crated for several years. Seems an honest enough bike but generally seems to have undergone home maintenance for many years that's probably not been the best. Body work needs a little tidyng, nothing serious but motor although sounding fairly good and sweet (I have a 96 GSXR1100 as well so know and understand these engines) would not run on all 4 cylinders all of the time. It was popping and intermittently running on 4. Once warm seemed to idle ok on all 4. Could anyone give me an idea on potential issues as having owned several 1100's i'm guessing a full carb strip and re build and plug change would probably resolve most issues. Has any one suffered electrical issues with them, coil packs etc that were issues in the early/mid 90's with some GSXR's and if so are these easy parts to obtain. Are the parts pretty much all Suzuki to do with the motor or do they need to come from Bimota (i'm assuming no longer available). I'm guessing the issues are carb related. I live in Kent so can anyone advise on potential a organisation/people/person to work on them.

I would appreciate any advise as in spending several hours reading through other peoples posts there seems to be a wealth of knowledge and information on here. Finally any ideas on what sort of money to pay.

Apologies on not yet being an owner but felt this was the best place to start

Many Thanks
Adrian Humphries Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian

You have already started on the slippery slope in thinking about buying a Bimota. Might as well accept it and just do it.!!

SB6's run rich, and eat plugs if garage queens and just started and run for 5 minutes at a time (Sounds like this bike probably done a fair bit of that !! )
Other than the usual sitting issues, carbs , seals, bearings etc the engines are GSXR so bullet proof .
Clutch slaves are a weak point and some engine work/sprocket change is an engine out job so working on a bimota is not for the faint hearted .

Money wise, they are worth what you are willing to pay !! Depends on condition/availability , your willingness to search Europe for one etc. Considering people are paying 6-8k on a 250cc 2-stroke , an SB6 is an absolute bargain.

What we need now are pictures !! We like pictures !!

Last edited by vort28 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gooner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the reply, thanks. Yes my thoughts exactly. Ive owned a fair few 1100's in my time so i know the motor is good. Generally i think its a good honest example that's covered in grease and grime and needs fettling and a damn good clean from the ground up.

Ive restored a few superbikes over the years so have some pretty good contacts and am not scared of taking it to bits. I'm guessing electrics aside anyone that can work on an 1100W should be able to sort the carb/running issues out.

As soon as a deal is done i will try and load some pictures

Thanks again
stockcar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a slippery slope................... Laughing
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been stood 9 years with fuel in the carbs it's a wonder that it started at all!
Full carb strip and clean and some dyno time to sort the over-rich fuelling and if all else is servicable, good to go. You won't believe the difference between your original GSX-R1100 and the SB6 Very Happy
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you've said about carbs and plugs is probably right. You might consider changing the carb seals for a vitton set from Lite Tek.

The bike is probably using the original brake / clutch lines, time to change them. Check the front sprocket cover, they were cut to suit the frame, if that forms a 90 degree then the cover can split making it hard to get first and neutral. Check the sidestand springs, there are two if the small one brakes the stand will sag causing an intermittent backfire. Coils are Suzuki, they're ok. Plugs, don't use iridium.
The worst thing with the electrics is the wire colours, bimota's loom is different to Suzuki's you need to mark all the connectors otherwise you'll be there for a while scratching your head … that's especially relevant to the rear light and indicators in the tail.
Cut the rubber flap over the generator, it makes it overheat.
Filling the oil is fun, go through the crankcase breather at the top of the engine.
Headlights are dangerous for night riding, use 7" lamps cut into the original plastic or make a plate up, fit relays for the bulbs.
Gooner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies and help. A fair bit to look at. I am just trying to find someone in my area who will work on it but am closing in on a really good deal i think.

What do you all do about chain and sprockets. I'd like to run a renthal titanium rear sprocket and chain, probably 530 conversion as on my 1100. Are these obtainable from anywhere

Thanks
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about titainium on there, i run an aluminium rear and accept it will need changing. You can go to a 520 chain but remember the front sprocket is hard to change.

Save the money and buy light wheels.
Gooner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal done for a bargain in my opinion. 1997 model series 2 i believe, in the dark grey and red. HM racing at Edenbridge are going to do the carb, clutch and any engine work and are going to take the engine out as they say it will be easier. Is it a good idea to get the rear suspension restored whilst its apart. Once its running properly i will look after it myself. What is the best thing to do about the headlights as note they are poor.

Are there regular meet ups for these beasts as would be good to meet up with some respective owners

Cheers
Ade Very Happy
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a couple of searches on the site.
Fork and shock rebuild would be good just to replace the oil but it would be a bonus to do the fork seals, replace them before they go.

Replace the brake and clutch lines the ferrels break up when theyre old.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:

Are there regular meet ups for these beasts as would be good to meet up with some respective owners

Cheers
Ade Very Happy

Have a poke around the "members" events section of the Forum.....where occasionally someone offers to organise something and entice others on board....after that its generally making contact and meeting up....time and troubles with bikes is always an issue....it pays to have the odd spare Bimota or 2....

Some Previous "events"....

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5579&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
Evoluzione2001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooner wrote:
Deal done for a bargain in my opinion. 1997 model series 2 i believe, in the dark grey and red. HM racing at Edenbridge are going to do the carb, clutch and any engine work and are going to take the engine out as they say it will be easier. Is it a good idea to get the rear suspension restored whilst its apart. Once its running properly i will look after it myself. What is the best thing to do about the headlights as note they are poor.

Cheers
Ade Very Happy

Hi Ade and Merry Xmas,My name is Sandro and I have a Xmas present for u ?? .....

But first please let me tell you how I got here to give you this gift ...

I joined the Bimota Forum earlier this year as I have some 94 SB6 parts that I want to sell from a hoard of mainly Suzuki parts that I've aquired over the last 25 years,I'm a big Suzuki GSXR fan and have 4,a 1987 1100,96 750 Carbed SRAD Chris Walker National Tyres Clarion Endurance Rep with 5 spoke magnesium Marchesini wheels and a XRO6 Swing arm,a 98 Fi Stock 750 SRAD and (My Baby) a 91 GSXR 1100M "Evo2"that I've owned since 93 (Featured in a 4 page spread of the July 99 Performance Bike Magazine) but I digress lets get back to your gift ....

I'm a firm believer in "Things happen for a reason" and luck would have it you made a wise decision when selecting HM Racing to work their magic on your new toy because my "Topson" Tony will be looking after all the engine work and if you decide to have HM work on the suspension then you are in luck as Perry Leisk(4 times 4 stroke World MotorX Champion)Ohlins Guru/Suspension Setup God works there and has worked his magic for me a few times and is highly respected in the Paddock World ...

I spoke to "Topson" Xmas eve and he told me you had phoned to book your bike in at HM,Now I know I'm biased by saying you will be pleased with the outcome but its true,

My Tony is perfectionist in what ever he does,his "Day Job" is running the Dyno at HM and building "Exotic Race bikes"(Check Out HM's Facebook page for some of his work)

His weekends for the last 4/5years he has "spannered" for Terry Rymer,Tommy Hills Bewiser Team(Danny Buckan,Chris Walker)Tommy Hills E-Payme Yamaha Team (John "Hopper" Hopkins,Stuart Easton,Brock Parkes)and finished this season looking after a 13 year old MotoGP wannabe in the new "Road To MotoGp" Challenge Cup that Dorna started this year,not only is he an excellant tech he is super fast and impressed Dorna's in house tech's overseeing his work on the new Moto3 bike for young wannabe ...

I know some people who read this will find my thread quite bizare and long winded but I'm one of them "Pay It Forward","Heart On My Sleeve"type and will help any one out if I can,always have been

Merry Christmas To All On Here

ps,if this helps I am 20 mins from you and have a Top Notch Bike trailer and a Shogun to pull it and its visited HM many times,Semi Retired I'm at home allday and will take you there if needed just let me know.

"On the Sunday of the BSB Race Held At Brands Hatch,If I Ride Out Of My cul-de-sac turn left,within 500 yards I'm in the queue for the main car park,who says living the dream is hard"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: