Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 leaking fork oil.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: DB6 leaking fork oil. Reply with quote

Well while I have been messing around trying to find time to continue my electrical search for WHY my signals don't work, I noticed that both of my forks had puddles of oil beneath the legs. Rolling Eyes

I can't get the wipers down to see if my Seal Pro tool would work to clean up the seals so I just chatted with Pyramid Parts and ended up ordering the 50mmx63mmx11mm seal and wiper kit from them. I should see it in a few days so maybe I'll get time this weekend to tear things apart further.

Just one more thing on my list of to-dos this weekend...along with other vehicle maintenance, yard maintenance, garage organization, etc...

It never ends does it?!!!
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my fork seals in from Pyramid Parts 2 weeks ago but the wipers were missing. I contacted them and 2 weeks later they showed up. Great company!

Now if I can just find the time to work on the DB6... 🙄
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Talk about necroposting...lol

I need help and advice. I found some time to start this maintenance work up again, pulled one leg out...and have no idea what type of spanner socket to use to remove the fork cap.

Any suggestions are appreciated (preferably ones that help me remove the cap without damaging it or the finish.

Thanks
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies....I dont think I saw the original thread of last year....otherwise I'd have said that you'd need one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducat-Panigale-Marzocchi-Fork-Cap-Service-Tool/113253509320?hash=item1a5e6f68c8:g:5OkAAOSwSLtaykiA

This IS NOT....the one that you want...but something similar....the DB6 50mm marzocchi forks have only seven holes around the cap.....which are not directly positioned across from each other like on this Marzocchi tool intended for forks fitted to the Ducati Panigale….

Evidently you can see how the pins would fit in the holes and then a normal socket bar would fit in the cap...I know tha my local Ducati (ex bimota dealer) shop had trouble when changing the seals on a DB10 as it had the same forks as yours...and they asked if I had a tool they could borrow....I dont so couldn't....but I will ask then what they used instead......I know that you can get adjustable "C" spanners with pins in them that open out and adjust to fit in 2 of the holes...and then acts as a spanner

External C clip pliers they are called...like these....but check pin diameters....these state 2.2mm in diameter...whereas the 50mm marzocchi holes are 3.8mm in diameter (just measured mine...)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-adjustable-spanner-spa-6/rp-prod17509?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain%2BReaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping%2BQLB%2BGeneric%2BDesktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%257CsdBbjFS6Z_dc%257Cpcrid%257C161850070953%257Cpkw%257C%257Cpmt%257C%257Cprd%257C54577UK
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a bit better.....different sized pins....wrong side of the pond for you though.....perhaps not so strangely.....Mountain bike shops and suppliers are a good source as Marzocchi stuff was all over such bikes....Now...whether you buy the 3mm or 4mm....Hhmmm.....4mm should be snug tight....and can be taken down with careful judicious filing if not quite fitting

http://www.reactivesuspension.com/product-detail.php?product_id=112

4mm adjustable pin wrench is what you need to be looking for.....Note that if you have an angle grinder they usually come with a 4mm double pin wrench to remove the blade/disc.....but they are fixed ones to locate over the centre hole

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=4mm+pin+wrench&_sacat=0
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a bit better.....different sized pins....wrong side of the pond for you though.....perhaps not so strangely.....Mountain bike shops and suppliers are a good source as Marzocchi stuff was all over such bikes....Now...whether you buy the 3mm or 4mm....Hhmmm.....4mm should be snug tight....and can be taken down with careful judicious filing if not quite fitting

http://www.reactivesuspension.com/product-detail.php?product_id=112
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies....I dont think I saw the original thread of last year....otherwise I'd have said that you'd need one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducat-Panigale-Marzocchi-Fork-Cap-Service-Tool/113253509320?hash=item1a5e6f68c8:g:5OkAAOSwSLtaykiA

This IS NOT....the one that you want...but something similar....the DB6 50mm marzocchi forks have only seven holes around the cap.....which are not directly positioned across from each other like on this Marzocchi tool intended for forks fitted to the Ducati Panigale….

Evidently you can see how the pins would fit in the holes and then a normal socket bar would fit in the cap...I know tha my local Ducati (ex bimota dealer) shop had trouble when changing the seals on a DB10 as it had the same forks as yours...and they asked if I had a tool they could borrow....I dont so couldn't....but I will ask then what they used instead......I know that you can get adjustable "C" spanners with pins in them that open out and adjust to fit in 2 of the holes...and then acts as a spanner

External C clip pliers they are called...like these....but check pin diameters....these state 2.2mm in diameter...whereas the 50mm marzocchi holes are 3.8mm in diameter (just measured mine...)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-adjustable-spanner-spa-6/rp-prod17509?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain%2BReaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping%2BQLB%2BGeneric%2BDesktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%257CsdBbjFS6Z_dc%257Cpcrid%257C161850070953%257Cpkw%257C%257Cpmt%257C%257Cprd%257C54577UK
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these links. I know a couple shops that may have the adjustable spanners. The holes are 3.5mm if I remember correctly.

I could buy a socket type and then re-machine the pins, spacing, etc...but then I have to borrow a mill and find the time.

I may give Race Tech Suspension a call in Corona tomorrow and see what they use.

Presently I am "vacationing" at my parents place in Incline Village, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA. Not bad. I could get used to this...but I am here to help work on their house so the fun and frivolity stop tomorrow.

I would like to be retired...with a lot of income of course...and more Bimotas and Ducatis and Moto Guzzis and maybe a beemer or two...oh to dream...

Regards to all.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ducati boys on their Forum with Marzocchi forks used a piece of steel plate.bar which they then drilled and fitted 4mm bolts and nuts to in the respective places to fit into the holes...as a 4mm bolt measures around 3.5mm on the threads....
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to resurrect this thread with an update ( I have been very busy...), I finally rebuilt my forks last weekend. I had to get a 50mm fork seal slider as well as a for cap spanner. I opted for some Motion Pro models from Amazon and they did the trick.

I'll see about uploading my photos in a bit along with a narrative for those that might be somewhat mechanically challenged...not that there are many of those that own Bimotas... Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in links to the tools needed...especially as marzocchi aren't around any more...and its difficult to locate the correct tools for the fork tops
glened

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested how you get on with the Pyramid seals, replaced the seals on DB 10 with Pyramid seals and they did not last very long, maybe 6 weeks. Replaced the Pyramid seals with OEM and they have been OK for over three years now. Would be interested to know how you get on.
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP was the only place I could easily find these parts. I'd be interested to know a different source JIC these fail...which I hope they don't.
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the pics.

This is the Motion Pro Spanner I bought, I think for around $20.

It has both 3mm and 4mm changeable hardened pins. FWIW, Ducati uses 6 pins evenly distributed as do most other manufacturers but not Bimota, oh no. We have to be “different” so we use 7 pins…

BTW, break the cap loose while the forks are still bolted in the triple clamps.

This is the Motion Pro fork seal driver, around $35 and is ONLY for 50MM fork tubes.

There are options re: kits that handle multiple sizes and I will get one. Other useful tools are a fork tube holder for a bench vise as well as a fork spring compressor should you want to change out the spring or modify the plastic spacer.

https://www.amazon.com/Jims-Fork-Tube-Holder-Tool/dp/B000GVBTYY/ref=sr_1_7/132-5741113-0042048?ie=UTF8&qid=1547140658&sr=8-7&keywords=motorcycle+fork+tool

I can probably make this easily.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-FORK-SPRING-COMPRESSOR-UNIVERSAL/dp/B00P8JQH78/ref=sr_1_10/132-5741113-0042048?ie=UTF8&qid=1547140658&sr=8-10&keywords=motorcycle+fork+tool

…but this one is nicer…which I might fabricate as well as $163 is a bit steep for some mild steel.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Foot-Operated-Srping-Compressor/dp/B0013LF6DQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1547584891&sr=8-8&keywords=motorcycle+fork+spring+compressor
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next I disassembled the forks. BTW, these really don’t qualify as “cartridge forks” say like my son’s 1198 so I am not sure what the Matris replacement “cartridges” are about. The insert consists of a lower damper rod, spring, long plastic spacer, fork cap and nut and a long threaded center rod. Maybe I am wrong but spinning (not easily mind you) the center 22mm fork cap “nut” doesn’t do anything but pivot the entire assembly around in the housing and making the + or – marks for damping adjustment oddly oriented.

In the above photo, you can see the order of disassembly. I had to make a long 7mm hex key to fit into a socket to undo the damper rod bolt from the bottom of the fork leg. This took the help of a ½ inch air impact wrench to overcome the assembly from rotating. It is reinstalled and secured by the same method.

The photo shows the following components:

- Damper rod bolt
- Dust seal
- Oil seal spring clip
- Oil seal
- Washer
- Outer spacer (inner anti-friction coating)
- Inner spacer (outer anti-friction coating)
- Inner spring and damper rod assembly with fork cap
- Fork leg and TiN coated tube
- Outer fork tube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: