Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

2019 Las Vegas Motorcycle Auctions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yb11reno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it’s a db1, not a db2. Here’s the link.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25192/lot/36/?category=list&length=100&page=1
yb11reno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m at the mecum auction today, looked at the SB2. Wow, really pretty bike. Looked it over, couldn’t see anything wrong with it. Very good to excellent condition.
Will go by the Bonhams auction tomorrow to see how the DB1 looks.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auction can be watched live...starts 1300 hours today Pacific Standard Time...which is 9pm over here in the UK...click here for live feed supposedly

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25192/live/
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had fun last night watching the auction live..a very professional set-up internet wise.....you got the live feed and commentary of the auctioneer on a fixed camera feed...seeing the bike come up to the mark each time...meanwhile in the big picture the bike on the block cycled through from the online brochure giving the guide prices and whether No reserve or not...It does mean you get to see how high an item is bid IF it doesnt make its reserve....as after the auction items are just described with their original estimates and marked as "unsold"....

Right from the outset the auctioneer was on the blocks struggling to entice any encouraging bids.....and any bikes with no reserve were going under the hammer well below even the lower estimate...sometimes only 30-50% of the lower estimate....Ducati 750F1's for $10K a piece....Laguna Seca for $11.5K also...and that includes the 15% buyers premium.....Only the high high end ducati stuff made strong money....Desmodieci for $59K and a supermono for $115K....a couple of MHR ducati reps went for $13-15K apiece...and the only Bimota at the show? DB1SR...$11,500...….Buyers seemed to have an inbuilt limit of $10K for some very nice pieces....which is pretty much how much these bikes were when new in the 1980;s...so what with most of them being restored...AND shipped over from the collector owner in New Zealand......they showed doom and gloom on the investment front...Thus...buy and ride and get some enjoyment...at least for the meantime.....Usual Brit stuff of Vincents making good money...one Black shadow reached $280,000....which was the highest bid at the entire auction...but went unsold as the estimate was $360,000 to $400,000...unbelievable...but true.....

Poor auctioneer was stumbling all day long...dropping minimum bids to $100 at times for increments, all in an attempt to achieve a sale...I think his bosses were ranting all night long into his ear piece as he really was dragging some of the auctions out to try and get just one more bid.....The bloke from New Zealand representing the collection of Ducatis for sale including the Bimota...was constantly being asked to go to the phone...to discuss whether he would accept the final bid on bike after bike as they failed to reach even the low estimate....and one by one they were marked as sold...being shipped from NZ to USA you really have already paid out...and are left with the prospect of paying again to ship them home....

Interesting auction..I'd have been happy being a buyer...but distraught if I was a seller....thus I'll just have to keep all my bikes until the day I die...and I'll then never know how much they sold for...

Full results here

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25192/#/aj0=lot_number_asc&m0=0&aa0=1&MR0_length=100&w0=list
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great write up on the auction. I was considering putting the DB4ie up since it is only a 4 hour drive to Vegas. Glad I didn’t! But then again, it only takes two bidders that want the same bike - to make a seller happy.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4 of the 5 Day Mecum Auction is also on live now....better prices seemingly being reached....lower Buyers premium also....strange how 2 auction houses stage bike auctions containing similar/same bikes have them on the same days in the same city....thats just Bad...

Big Money??? Seems to be in rusty old Oil cans with no oil in...One sold today for $5500...rusty, dusty and no oil....Tiny 50cc monkey Honda bikes going got $8500....money is now in quirky, tiny and rusty....

Honda ZR50 Christmas edition....just gone for $12,000...excluding buyers premium...pure madness....

Whereas a Honda CB750 K2 from 1972 just went under the hammer at $3500....so big boy bike makes 1/4 or a tiny kids bike for a 5 year old.....Hhmm...How many of those can I fit in my garage??
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a bit of it and it was pretty interesting. As 2bims said,the bikes were selling below the minimum estimate, many 20% below.

An interesting one was the hipster Honda 4. No reserve and......no bids. You could have got it for $100. It looked OK.

https://images2.bonhams.com/image?src=Images/live/2018-12/18/24829501-1-15.jpg&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1

And 6 off Honda SL100s for $77,000! Kids bikes again. The market is weird.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecum...$21,000 +10% buyers premium for a ………..VFR400R NC30....did 2 bidders get confused it was an RC30???..it was in the same colour scheme...

Rose tinted glasses on tiddler bikes...seems to be the market place nowadays...oil dripping brit and yank bikes not doing well....2 strokes...fine....$19K for a Z1300....some classics are always going to e a classic
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$51,500 USD for the SB2...plus 10% Buyers premium extra.....or 13% if buying online or over the phone....tasty price...Bikes selling sometimes at twice the price for same bikes sold at Bonhams....a bad day for Bonhams....
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very interesting. Note to self.... you must NEVER go to a motorcycle auction Shocked
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for Bonhams auction. It seems every year the number of bikes and bidders goes down, while the mecum auction goes up every year.
I think that DB2 should’ve sold closer to $20K.
The DB1 at the Bonhams auction was probably a 2- conditon. Original, showing some weathering, as would be expected.
The SB2 at the mecum auction was probably a 2+ condition, original, looked liked the prior owner(s) were very careful in maintaining it. Still. I never expected $57K......
There were 4 Bimotas that went through Bonhams 2 years ago, I felt they all sold for 30 to 40% below what they should’ve. I wouldn’t try selling a Bimota at the Bonhams auction, I don’t think they get the right (Bimota) bidders.
There have been some surprises for me. A Yamaha Rd350, condition that you would’ve bought off the showroom floor, sold for $10,000. Didn’t they build, like 20,000 of those or something? A 1969 yamaha 250 enduro sold for $14;000. Yikes, auction fever, I guess.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market is similar over here in the UK Jack.....2-strokes are big...despite the fact that hundreds of thousands were made.....its the fact that they survived at all and rose tinted glasses that makes the prices high...generally they have to be restored though with a full catalogue of the restoration to make good money.....but they are still silly money...and some are over restored IMHO....far shinier than they ever came from the showroom for what was at the time a budget mass production bike...It seems that Rarity in actual production numbers isn't a factor anymore....as most rare bikes when they were made are still around...Same with cars...I read once that 80% of all Porsches ever made are still around...Bad example though as they fetch strong money....so hopefully Bimotas could go the same way...limited runs always and most made are still around....

Just shows you have to do your homework......Buy at Bonhams but Sell at MEcum….even though I hate listening to the Mecum style of auction.....where they clearly introduce false bids and occasionally have to stop the auction and find out what the current actual true bid is...many times the auction price published on the live screen feed kept being adjusted DOWN....as they realised that what the auctioneer was shouting out wasn't an actual bid...has to be said though...their quick turnaround and whip the crowd into a frenzy does seem to achieve higher bids.....Neither live feed showed the audience...which I understand for privacy...but you had no idea if 1 person was in the seats or 10,000....

There were still a couple of bikes unsold at MEcum….despite having NO RESERVE.....what gives? the auctioneer determines the start initial bid by shouting it out....and determines how low he will start it...if he shouts $2,000 and thats his lowest personal shout and no one takes him up...then bike is unsold....it seems like they wont take a shout of "One Dollar"...not even to get the ball rolling.....Mecum are very much the creator of their own success...at least in America it would seem....the more civilised laid back draw it out Bonhams style did not fair well,,,but then maybe no-one was in the Auction room....Theres also a higher buyers premium at Bonhams than Mecum...maybe thats what sucks the bidders in at Mecum????….If theres 2 identical bikes for sale...one at each auction house...where you going to go? Higher or lower buyers premium shop?...The canny buyer will go to the higher hoping the majority of bidders are tight fisted and will go to the lower...speculate to accumulate...stay clear of the crowd...
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market is similar over here in the UK Jack.....2-strokes are big...despite the fact that hundreds of thousands were made.....its the fact that they survived at all and rose tinted glasses that makes the prices high...generally they have to be restored though with a full catalogue of the restoration to make good money.....but they are still silly money...and some are over restored IMHO....far shinier than they ever came from the showroom for what was at the time a budget mass production bike...It seems that Rarity in actual production numbers isn't a factor anymore....as most rare bikes when they were made are still around...Same with cars...I read once that 80% of all Porsches ever made are still around...Bad example though as they fetch strong money....so hopefully Bimotas could go the same way...limited runs always and most made are still around....

Just shows you have to do your homework......Buy at Bonhams but Sell at MEcum….even though I hate listening to the Mecum style of auction.....where they clearly introduce false bids and occasionally have to stop the auction and find out what the current actual true bid is...many times the auction price published on the live screen feed kept being adjusted DOWN....as they realised that what the auctioneer was shouting out wasn't an actual bid...has to be said though...their quick turnaround and whip the crowd into a frenzy does seem to achieve higher bids.....Neither live feed showed the audience...which I understand for privacy...but you had no idea if 1 person was in the seats or 10,000....

There were still a couple of bikes unsold at MEcum….despite having NO RESERVE.....what gives? the auctioneer determines the start initial bid by shouting it out....and determines how low he will start it...if he shouts $2,000 and thats his lowest personal shout and no one takes him up...then bike is unsold....it seems like they wont take a shout of "One Dollar"...not even to get the ball rolling.....Mecum are very much the creator of their own success...at least in America it would seem....the more civilised laid back draw it out Bonhams style did not fair well,,,but then maybe no-one was in the Auction room....Theres also a higher buyers premium at Bonhams than Mecum...maybe thats what sucks the bidders in at Mecum????….If theres 2 identical bikes for sale...one at each auction house...where you going to go? Higher or lower buyers premium shop?...The canny buyer will go to the higher hoping the majority of bidders are tight fisted and will go to the lower...speculate to accumulate...stay clear of the crowd...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: