Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Footpeg locking nut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

andybim wrote:
Thanks 2bims!

Brian, the nuts would be easy to knock up if I had a lathe, would do one long bar and then part off each nut. Oh and thanks for knocking up the price Smile

Had a quick look this evening, it's very tight between the bolt and the swinging arm don't think I will be able to get a socket in there. So may have to remove the hanger unless I can compress the suspension enough.

Andy

Ah yeh.....If we all had a lathe.....good to see that your bolt holding the peg in place is also obscured/blocked from easy removal whilst in place by the swinging arm....as pretty much its the same with all of my bimotas...Db1...DB4 and Vdue....DB2 you can just get to...but that bike does have very long footpeg hangers and a spindly tube rear swinging arm

Price....If you just want the alloy locking ring its a fiver including post....
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

andybim wrote:
Thanks 2bims!

Brian, the nuts would be easy to knock up if I had a lathe, would do one long bar and then part off each nut. Oh and thanks for knocking up the price Smile

Had a quick look this evening, it's very tight between the bolt and the swinging arm don't think I will be able to get a socket in there. So may have to remove the hanger unless I can compress the suspension enough.

Andy

Ah yeh.....If we all had a lathe.....good to see that your bolt holding the peg in place is also obscured/blocked from easy removal whilst in place by the swinging arm....as pretty much its the same with all of my bimotas...Db1...DB4 and Vdue....DB2 you can just get to...but that bike does have very long footpeg hangers and a spindly tube rear swinging arm

Price....If you just want the alloy locking ring its a fiver including post....
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: SB6R footpeg Reply with quote

The answer here is to take the hanger off. take the rubber off the footpeg then put the footpeg in the jaws of a workmate with the brake/gearchange lever located in one of the holes in the workmate surface. Then bring an allen on a socket to bear on the countersunk bolt holding footpeg to hanger. Simples!
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the tip Johnny....and thats a good one...as yeh...I'd normally have held the footpeg hanger in the vice....and the strength of the footpeg I'd rate higher than those milled out blocks of alloy that make up the footpeg hangers.....Now...he just has to try and remove those tiny low head allen bolts out of the footpegs that hold the rubber in place.....which like the bolt holding the footpeg to the hanger...wont have moved in 20 years and is steel into alloy....differencing material corrosion....
andybim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Soaking Reply with quote

Hi,

Outside flat to flat is 25ish (as split and still on bike won't be accurate) so looks like it is the correct one.

All the fastenings are being soaked with wd40 fast release penetrant. Now going to also soak the rubber mounting ones as well to go with Jonny's suggestion.

Tomorrow will see how the bolts feel like coming undone for the first time in over 20 years Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck....please dont use allen keys though....use a proper hardened alloy socket and ratchet with long arm...sometimes you only get one chance to loosen the bolt before the Italian steel cheese burs up and twists...and thats your last chance gone....Hammer the socket home first and make sure its ALL the way in...as they are quite shallow ruddy "low heads" which are shallower than "normal" bolts
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...dont be surprised if your rubber mounts swell up to 20% bigger in size....Rubber loves WD40 and drinks it for breakfast...causing such swelling....I cringe when I hear or see people spraying WD40 into wheel bearings...O ring chains with rubber O rings etc etc....
andybim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: All Apart Reply with quote

Apart from the split nut looks reasonable with some wear, 2bims I will pm you about the nut

2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found the brass pin that sits in the gear/brake lever and the twiddly connecter piece with the half moon cut out rests against to stop it turning???..Effectively it lock it in place...maybe thats been the issue...if missing someones over tightened the locking ring to try and stop the linkage from turning around....?
andybim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin is still located inside, there is some wear on the the lever where it locates on the pin (you can see the burr on the photo) which I may pack out to reduce the play.

I am also wondering if I should put in a thin sheet of ptfe around the peg spindle to take out some of the excess movement.

I can't remember how much play there was on the gear lever (when new) it was a long time ago.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope...do none of the above....the revised "mantra" with Bimotas is..."if it isn't too broke...dont fix it"...>It was working fine before even with the snapped locknut...and will work fine afterwards

Its your gear lever...you dont want it binding up with tape and not changing up or down when you want to...same if it was the brake lever...it could stick on

A bit of slack allows it free movement....its not like its a wheel bearing or chain adjustment....KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid....
Ulrich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andybim and 2bim

there is a nice description of how to reduce the play and improve the system

http://www.gixxer-joe.de/Seiten/start.htm -> reperaturen -> fussrasten

Looks like a worthwhile improvement to me.
sb8rs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

sorry I have come to this party late, but.............

These are service items.

They are supposed to wear and yes you are supposed to replace both the nut and the bush.

The idea is that the nut and bush wear (thin aluminium) and the peg (cast) does not.

I replace these on my bikes every 6000 miles as the gear or brake lever by then has too much play in them.

I had a batch made many years ago, because they have been unobtainable for a long time.

If BCP has some I would suggest someone buys them ASAP.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a bag of 35 of the locking rings....but not priced...but has none of the sleeves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: