Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Potential YB5 Acquisition - Couple of Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Potential YB5 Acquisition - Couple of Questions Reply with quote

Hi All
I have an opportunity to acquire a lovely YB5 in the very near future and had a question on the bike. It's a well loved beauty in excellent condition. I'm pleased that one came up for sale in Germany as I was mulling over price ranges.

My question is did the bikes run the FJ1200 clock set from new?

Looks like I may finally become a double Bim owner like the majority of Bim addicts!
brian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the YB5 had a different dash/ clocks. Somebody will be along shortly to confirm
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it ran the same clocks as the FJ.....although I'm no YB5 owner there is someone who has 2 of them on here that should be able to confirm
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YB5 did indeed use the Yamaha FJ1200 instrumentation as standard. Of course mine happens to be different and I still haven't identified from which bike they originated.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulDB2 wrote:
The YB5 did indeed use the Yamaha FJ1200 instrumentation as standard. Of course mine happens to be different and I still haven't identified from which bike they originated.

Got a photo? Surely the combined anorak might of the forum can figure it out?
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is my dash. Anybody got any idea where these instruments originated?

Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the Idiot light box, it looks like they're M model GSXR-1100 gauges with new faces, in a home made mounting plate. If you've got a pic of the backside and connectors, I can confirm.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although, having said that, the bezels look like they might be aftermarket VDO sourced. Backside of the gauges will tell us some more.
I'm going to stick with M Model GSXR1100 for the idiot lights though.
rpo83

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YB5's came with FJ dash from new, i have a YB5 facebook page, we have accounted for 47 bikes, there are lots of images you can checkout, there is also a YB5 Group where owners and people interested in them can chat..

This is the YB5 Page https://www.facebook.com/bimotayb5/

And the group is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/243177729696507/

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You "touting out" your FB page???/...I was tempted to set up one for my Borsalino.....But seeing as I own the only DB5 version...and I've already bored myself with my own chat about it.....I sense there wouldn't be much feedback on such a site......Whats wrong with the good old Forum??/Other than inability to upload workshop manuals etc....and the jump thru 15 hoops whilst doing an egg and spoon race whilst tickling your stomach and smacking your head process to upload Pictures palava….???Hhmmm...THink I answered my own question...rhetorical as it turns out....This is the place that lit our smouldering embers and reignited the joint passion ...way before FB and everyone jumped on with SB6 FB....UK FB....Italian FB...YB5 FB etc etc.....as if we were all going to make loads of money from Facebook itself or some such...??/
rpo83

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you pointed out the reasons steve, purely the image rich environment of FB makes basic research very easy..... pkay can go to one page and see over 100 YB5 images

And you are correct, it was the forum that was responsible for creating the passion in most of us, it created friendships and bonds across the globe.. and the information and help available is beyond reproach, and as far as i'm concerned is the reason so many Bimotas are on the road, your help and knowledge has been nothing short of incredible to most members...

I'll try and post more on here Smile

Here is the YB5 factory dash..

20181006_120339s by Motorbike Owner, on Flickr

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers RPO.....you know I'm only jesting though...I'm more of a tart than most being on anything and everything Bimota related and other things rideable....FB does get you direct into peoples pockets via their phone...direct targeting....and helps businesses....I just cant help but feel there'll be a day when they hold us all to ransom and demand $000's per year for us all to stay on board....I still cant believe how Photobucket committed corporate suicide by giving free accounts and storage and holding images to ransom demands later if we didn't pay $400 per year each....and the public voted and left...giving up their accounts and going elsewhere.....I still think FB is the work of Aliens intent on taking us over and the planet...but subliminally ….
pkay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect thank you.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the finish and standard of your YB5 steve…...but I have to say....when are you upgrading your clutch master to match your upgraded Brembo radial front brake master and Rizoma billet reservoir pot?....Or at least rub down the original Yamaha reservoir pot and assembly and breeze over the tarnish with some satin black aerosol?....I've had to do it with my Borsalino front brake reservoir pot lid....as they always get a little bubbling in the paint dept on the edges.....a simple rub down with some wet and dry to flatten and remove flakey paint...wipe down and de-grease with some white spirit and a clean cotton rag and 20 seconds and a couple of light coats of satin of matt black aerosol?
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need to find time Steve...

I already have the radial clutch M/C to fit, but it all ground to a halt when the lever pivot hit the dash... Now that the other YB5 has arrived and the 2 Laverdas are on their way, i'm flat out trying to organise storage and my new shed... i think it will be at least 6 months before i get around to it...

And just to make my life more difficult i have just bought this..

It hopefully will be my do everything vehicle, i want to install a bed that will fold up and still allow storage of 2 bikes... She is a 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter, so we will also be able to use it for weekends away for photography...

Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: