Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Potential YB5 Acquisition - Couple of Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance that its on your "to do list"...with fresh parts waiting....I do like to keep an unofficial check on Bimota owners....making sure their beauties are being given top treatment and love and attention that they deserve.....

Have you tried adjusting the clip ons?...either moving them back around the fork tops...or removing them and undoing the angle adjustment bolt on the back of the turned conical front piece? the billet polished cast 4 thinned fluted piece that has the clip on chromed steel bar hydraulically pressed into it?...as they are multi adjustable for angle of the dangle, height and reach fore/aft?...It maybe just the angle of the photo of your top yoke...….But your right clip on half moon clamps seem to be at 8 o'clock and 2'o'clock...whilst your left clip on appears to be dead centre at 9 and 3 o'clock......
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're keeping us on our toes... Smile

The left clip-on is as i bought it, the right one after numerous adjustments trying to clear the instrument panel.

The bike had been stored at a mates place, it is now home and the new YB5 is with the mate... My garage is fuller than yours!!! Though not with bikes, but with crap... so once the crap gets moved to the other shed, i'll be able to fettle...

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try changing the masters on a DB1 or DB2.....DB1 is worse than anything I've ever come across....restored and saved the original radial brembo masters...but they felt wooden and with dog leg levers that bent the wrong way...away from the bars....The pull on brakes and clutch was tortuous and not for repeat action....so I replaced with gold series...and ran hoses to the original reservoir pots mounted on top of the fork stanchions.....but trying to get the gold series set right took an eternity....you cant move the switchgear down or up the clip ons as the buttons interfere with the underside of the fairing/nose screen area....DB2 has same issues...Only later when flat screens and not bubble round screens became the "fashion" does the space open up on later bimotas...Db4, Vdue etc etc so around 97 onwards is there acres more room for mods, different masters and pots etc....ingenuity is the name of the game for placement and choice....

Liking the new mobile home/bike carrier...didn't know they did a 4 wheel drive sprinter...I assume youre keeping the sirens bells and whistles, lights and paint job? To rush through queing traffic to get home early?
DB1 860

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
I think you pointed out the reasons steve, purely the image rich environment of FB makes basic research very easy..... pkay can go to one page and see over 100 YB5 images

And you are correct, it was the forum that was responsible for creating the passion in most of us, it created friendships and bonds across the globe.. and the information and help available is beyond reproach, and as far as i'm concerned is the reason so many Bimotas are on the road, your help and knowledge has been nothing short of incredible to most members...

I'll try and post more on here Smile

Here is the YB5 factory dash..

20181006_120339s by Motorbike Owner, on Flickr

When I sat on your bike at the FOS I noticed that the front bars felt quite high... I now realize looking at your photo that you have the forks pushed through a good 20mm from standard, I wonder why that was done as I presume it was like that when you bought? I have 27mm of fork top showing.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Potential YB5 Acquisition - Couple of Questions Reply with quote

pkay wrote:
Hi All
I have an opportunity to acquire a lovely YB5 in the very near future and had a question on the bike. It's a well loved beauty in excellent condition. I'm pleased that one came up for sale in Germany as I was mulling over price ranges.

My question is did the bikes run the FJ1200 clock set from new?

Looks like I may finally become a double Bim owner like the majority of Bim addicts!

Yes the clock set is FJ 1200... my tacho stoped working so I bought a replacement set from a FJ wrecker... fitted straight in...and it works!!!

Germany ... that's a bit of a hike... did you get a cartage quote?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB1 860 wrote:
rpo83 wrote:
I think you pointed out the reasons steve, purely the image rich environment of FB makes basic research very easy..... pkay can go to one page and see over 100 YB5 images

And you are correct, it was the forum that was responsible for creating the passion in most of us, it created friendships and bonds across the globe.. and the information and help available is beyond reproach, and as far as i'm concerned is the reason so many Bimotas are on the road, your help and knowledge has been nothing short of incredible to most members...

I'll try and post more on here Smile

Here is the YB5 factory dash..

20181006_120339s by Motorbike Owner, on Flickr

When I sat on your bike at the FOS I noticed that the front bars felt quite high... I now realize looking at your photo that you have the forks pushed through a good 20mm from standard, I wonder why that was done as I presume it was like that when you bought? I have 27mm of fork top showing.

Your bike DB1 should feel that the front bars are lower...if your forks are pushed through higher and more showing...as effectively this lowers the front end/angle....tipping the rider and weight more to the front.....what you may notice is a difference in "tip in/turn in" speed...even at slow manoeuvres …..At the end of the day its all down to how comfy you feel...and you can raise and lower to suit.....

My DB2 has Paioli 51mm forks fitted...with some 35mm or even more sticking out. (actually measure 75mm sticking out with fork tops and adjusters)..clip ons are fitted under the top yoke......When I restored it I tried to get the fork tops lower...….maybe just 10-15mm sticking out....quick test ride.....nearly fell over turning out the drive....as the front end had gone REAL light...as evidently I'd tipped a portion of the bikes weight towards the back....also made cracking the throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd real "flighty" and not for me....thus...if it aint broke...dont fix it...I reverted back to the original set-up from when I bought the bike some 9 years ago....much happier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: