Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB7 Fuel Pump Alternatives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkay

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: YB7 Fuel Pump Alternatives Reply with quote

After finally getting the YB7 to run on 4 cylinders post plug change (that in itself is a story and a half) I had my cheap chinese fuel pump shit itself about 1.5 km (or a mile for you imperial types) from home. Stopped running, so walked home to get the tool kit, drove back and proceeded to dismantle the bike on the roadside to see what the issue was (that sure must have looked funny with bits of bike everywhere). Given I keep forgetting to turn the fuel tap on when I reassemble the bike I at first thought I'd done that again (I could tell I'd run out of fuel by the way it stopped). But sure enough no noise from fuel pump with ignition on. A bit of jiggery pokery got the fuel pump to run enough to fill the float bowls and get me home. One thing I will do is check the fuel pump circuit to make sure I haven't disconnected something during the plug change.

So before I waste money on another chinese fuel pump are there any other alternatives people can suggest? Or do I just buy a dozen of the bloody things and treat them like a consumable..........
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: YB7 Fuel Pump Alternatives Reply with quote

pkay wrote:
After finally getting the YB7 to run on 4 cylinders post plug change (that in itself is a story and a half) I had my cheap chinese fuel pump shit itself about 1.5 km (or a mile for you imperial types) from home. Stopped running, so walked home to get the tool kit, drove back and proceeded to dismantle the bike on the roadside to see what the issue was (that sure must have looked funny with bits of bike everywhere). Given I keep forgetting to turn the fuel tap on when I reassemble the bike I at first thought I'd done that again (I could tell I'd run out of fuel by the way it stopped). But sure enough no noise from fuel pump with ignition on. A bit of jiggery pokery got the fuel pump to run enough to fill the float bowls and get me home. One thing I will do is check the fuel pump circuit to make sure I haven't disconnected something during the plug change.

So before I waste money on another chinese fuel pump are there any other alternatives people can suggest? Or do I just buy a dozen of the bloody things and treat them like a consumable..........

OEMl Yam Pump? Honda VFR750 pump (I think even the Bros uses one) looks very similar?
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The points in the back of them sometimes stick. Often giving the pump a whack to unstick the points will fix it. I've done so with the OEM pump on the YB8.
pkay

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to find an OEM new one. I've tried my usual cross reference sources and had no luck finding what other models it fits. 1WG-13907-00 - seems to fit FZR400 from 88 - 90 which ties into the 1WG I guess. In Yamaha speak are all XXX-13907 fuel pumps the same?
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkay wrote:
I'd love to find an OEM new one. I've tried my usual cross reference sources and had no luck finding what other models it fits. 1WG-13907-00 - seems to fit FZR400 from 88 - 90 which ties into the 1WG I guess. In Yamaha speak are all XXX-13907 fuel pumps the same?

You can order OEM stuff through Webike - give that a try if Yamaha Oz doesn't want to support it.
https://japan.webike.net/oem_parts/top/

I imagine FZR600 had the same pump - will ask a mate who might have one in his leftovers from FZR600s and 400s
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has unfortunately cleaned all his FZR400/600 stuff out, but he is of the opinion of just keep throwing chinese pumps at it.
Some googling shows the FZR guys use these as well, requires some re-plumbing though.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12S
pkay

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chief.
In the scheme of things it's pretty straight forward to replace - might stick a spare in the tool kit together with a spare set of tools needed to get to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: