Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Cockpit illumination

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuziEngine2

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: SB6R Cockpit illumination Reply with quote

Some time ago I inquired about my dark cockpit and was told it was supposed to be illuminated. After some struggle to find out what lamps to use, I finally have light.

I ordered T4.2 LEDs off eBay (20 LEDs for EUR 5,55), but they may not officially be the correct ones as I had to modify them to make them fit.

The hole in the unit is 10mm, as is the base of a T4 lamp/LED. So I had to file the base just a little to make it pass through the housing.

And then I could not lock the LED in place, as it would not rotate.
Turns out the PCB is too thick, so I increased the bayonet gap on the LED housing, slanting the leading edge up a little bit, and hey presto, it nicely slotted into place.

Make sure you fit LEDs the correct way, as they're unidirectional. The + on the cockpit harnass is the black wire (...) which connects to the yellow wire in the bike's harnass. Silly Italians Shocked .
Good thing I tested after installing the first LED, as I had assumed (...) black to be battery ground. The Owner's Manual's wiring diagram came to the rescue. I may post a pinout if I can manage to create a proper diagram.

I had some help from the nice folks in Norfolk who fixed GeeKay's clocks, they sent me some high quality pics of the internals of the cockpit (revealing the low build quality of it), which were really helpful, as the guys at Bimota referred me to Bimota Classic Parts, who never bothered to respond.

I could not replace the lamp behind the 240-320 km/h section, as there was still a dead lamp in there, blocked by two wires which were so tight I did not dare moving them aside. But as is clear from the picture, the effect is not really that bad.

Hope this helps anyone in need of replacing his cockpit illumination.
SuziEngine2

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the harness wire color table with its legend, best as possible derived from the wiring diagram in the Owner's Manual.
Not sure what's meant by 'Control Unit', or why the cockpit needs connections to the 'Rear Harness Connector'. But here it is:

I do not give any guarantees this is the same for all SB6R bikes.
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came up nice. I wouldn’t have noticed the slightly dimmer area if you hadn’t pointed it out Wink Good info
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: