Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points guys.

Thinking about what Bud977 said about bleeding brakes and removing the entire hydraulic system. I did pretty much that to get it working. The only part I had still attached to the bike was the reservoir.

Quadrasuarass said something which looking in the rear view mirror I can agree whole heartily. I don't believe the master cylinder is common enough, that the person who rebuilt it. Didn't realize there was a difference in the piston length. If it were more known, I'm sure he would have just swapped seals on the piston that came out.
A little disconcerting that my discovery was dismissed. Reminded me of computer events where you contact a help desk and they dis you as an ignoramus.

We all work with the information we gleaned in the past. We just need to find people who've been down the road ahead of us. Pretty well why I've been posting so much mundane stuff. I want the next person who stumbles on this subject to have an easier time.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a two way process. I've learnt an awful lot of what I have in front of me when I get back into my project next May when the small person heads off to school and I head off to retirement freeing up some mid day time.

Thanks for your posts.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got to take my hat off to you persisting with the original master cylinder, one of the things that needed to be done when I recommissioning my DB1 after it had been sitting in my office for ten years was I needed to look at the leaking rear master, all I could find was 40mm mount masters, so I bought one and drilled and taped a new hole in the footpeg hanger, fitted it and it bleed up first try, the thought of having that brake fluid around all the painted surfaces would be a concern.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes of terror, followed by 1.5 hours of great fun.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the sprocket on the counter shaft, I can see it wandering from side to side. Not staying aligned. When I pieced it back together after installing the new seal I kind of thought this keeper disc for the sprocket was a little worn. I've no recollection of how it looked when new. Seems the teeth have worn way down.

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5043&highlight=db1+front+sprocket

This topic kind of touches on what I'm looking at. It seems unlikely that a new part is waiting on a shelf.

I've been contemplating this for a number of weeks. It seems it might be easiest to peen over the inside so it will grip better.
Have others solutions to getting the sprocket positioned on the shaft?
DB1 860

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... there's hardly any teeth left... if you cant get a new one I think I've got a second hand one in better condition
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look like its "toasted"......A normal one with actual teeth looks like this...but dont get excited....this is for a DB2 but same style that Bimota used....I've seen worse than yours...just...whereby the entire sprocket and the splined cover plate could be pulled off in one unit without unbolting....I have to ask though...unless you've already removed it...Wheres the cover plate that you put on after the splined dished unit....that you then put 2 bolts in to the sprocket AND one central bolt in the middle of the sprocket gearbox drive shaft...??? THis stops it wandering around like what yours has....and is extra security...I do have a spare of those if youre interested....

DB2 with teeth for splines....to show you how bad yours is by comparison

Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Steve at Bevel Heaven, he has some listed on his website,; I don't see the deep dished ones but Steve is ever helpful and will let you know if they are available:

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Chain-Sprockets-page-2/
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other option is to put in a longer output shaft, one from a 750 Paso will suit then you have the correct offset and just need to use a flat keeper plate.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadrasuarass wrote:
Try Steve at Bevel Heaven, he has some listed on his website,; I don't see the deep dished ones but Steve is ever helpful and will let you know if they are available:

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Chain-Sprockets-page-2/

That's where I sourced my front sprocket from... but I'm now running a 520 chain.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
That does look like its "toasted"......A normal one with actual teeth looks like this...but dont get excited....this is for a DB2 but same style that Bimota used....I've seen worse than yours...just...whereby the entire sprocket and the splined cover plate could be pulled off in one unit without unbolting....I have to ask though...unless you've already removed it...Wheres the cover plate that you put on after the splined dished unit....that you then put 2 bolts in to the sprocket AND one central bolt in the middle of the sprocket gearbox drive shaft...??? THis stops it wandering around like what yours has....and is extra security...I do have a spare of those if youre interested....

DB2 with teeth for splines....to show you how bad yours is by comparison

Steve, I don't remember seeing a nut on the end of the countershaft holding the sprocket... I'm not even sure that the end is threaded.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare parts manual doesnt show it......so maybe an "after thought" to cure wobbly sprocket....See if you can screw and 8mm bolt into the sprocket shaft and you'll then see if its threaded or not...this is the part I have...8 mm central bolt with locking washer...and plate alloy with 2 holes for bolts to go through as normal...
Would be easy enough to make one if you have a threaded hole.....can give you dimensions

The 2 outer holes on my spare match up perfectly in alignment and diameter with the 2 holes on the splined keeper plate and sprocket itself....Maybe a post modification to keep it tighter and not "jiggling" around and wearing away the teeth on the keeper plate??
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double

Last edited by 2bims on Wed May 15, 2019 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocketron

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims... You scared the hell out of me. I read your reply and immediately thought "Sheesh what did I miss now...?"
Also when I saw the pic you posted my heart skipped a beat, thinking there was a brand new one out there somewhere Very Happy
Reading subsequent replies eased my guilt quite a bit.

DB1 860, I'll take you up on the offer of the used one. It's hopefully in much better condition. Let me know what you'd like for it and shipping costs please.

2bims, I'm thinking for sure what you have is an after thought to prevent just what happened. The shaft does have a threaded hole in it. If you don't mind parting with your spare, I'd certainly take you up on the offer. If you'd rather not, could please measure that large washer and pass on those measurements, I'll get a duplicate made.

You think it was a Bimota after thought or a previous owner after thought?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the piece I have is an owners afterthought.....as its been turned up in Steel....not stainless steel...and not alloy...a magnet sticks to it.....and thats very non bimota

The piece I have is 50mm OD and 6mm thick.....but I guess thinner or alloy would do the same.....just check the "available diameter when the chain is fitted to the sprocket so that this "50mm" dia does not touch or interfere with the bottom edges of the chain plates around the sprocket....Its got a central hole of 8mm dia to take the 8mm bolt...coz the 8mm bolt measures 7.86mm dia...and the two outer holes match the centres of the holes in the sprocket and toothed cover plate////being 5.5mm dia and at 38mm centres....on top of that there is a large Form D washer...and one of those "split" and bent locking washers and then the 8mm bolt.....Might be worth loctitiing the bolt in position.....I'd sell you my spare...but I'd bet ya you can get one made cheaper than just the postage to Canada with import duty etc etc....

I have a friend who used to my own my DB1 that retained some spares....I know he had front sprockets....but not sure if he had locking tab splined plates either....He's currently holidaying in FLorida but I can email him and ask if he has anything.....He has real OCD with his bikes....over 50 I think...not sure if he knows the actual number....ut does log and recall what he has for each and every one of them....what mileage...mileage log books and where each bike went and when...keeps all of them brimmed with fuel and charges and road ready...A real full time obsession and profession....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: