Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

BB1 strip down and rebuild
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattBB1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thank you for all the great comments. It has been a labour of love.

Now to address some of the highlighted items:

1. Chain tension - I fully agree. Since the photo was taken I have made adjustments so rest assured it is good now. I have read up on how Bimota didn't do a good job on the chain run design so anticipated a need to have a slack chain at rest.
2. Split link - guilty! But again now endless - I didn't have the kit to happily get the link on so fitted the split to get it to the local garage for them to hammer the rivet.
3. Rear indicators - they were on the bike when I got it so assumed they were the originals..........I will do some more investigations on the right ones but they flash so do the job but I appreciate the link and will look to get the right ones fitted Smile

Still some fettling to do as it does seem to running very rich but I am really pleased with the look and at the local bike night last night, it had a healthy crowd of onlookers - which was nice! Smile
MattBB1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Not being "picky" here....(Ok...maybe just a bit)…..but you've changed the rear indicators out for those fairly cheap plenty available at 2 for a tenner plastic ones with angled lenses.....Stock original indicators are very easily bought off ebay….same as Ducati 748/916/996/998....Ducati 750 ssie ...900ssie...Monster....

Heres a pair for £23 posted.....You can get them for £7.50 each from Italy...but postage is dear....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-pair-of-indicators-for-Cagiva-Ducati-turn-signal-blinker-winker-front-rear/400292168255?fits=UKM_Make%3ADucati%7CUKM_Model%3A748&hash=item5d3345c23f:g:HtoAAOSw2s1U01-W

Be sure to look after your front mirrors/indicators...Proper rocking horse do do they are....Same As Gilera CX125 puppies they are.....

Yes, those mirrors are rarer than a rare thing. One does have a hairline crack in the frame which appeared after the paintjob. I have searched for replacements but given that Gilera probably only made about 20 CX125's and don't have a dealer network to speak of int he UK I will have to continue scouring the interweb. As for as functionality though, they are only seem to be good at hosting the indicators as unless I am tucked behind the screen I cannot see anything behind me with them! I did consider trying trying the 999 mirrors as an alternative but they are quite a bit bigger and wouldn't look right
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

What you have is effectively motocross engine in that bike....with chain rollers top and bottom towards the front sprocket end....
I sort of presume that there is no cush drive? Sprocket fixed direct to wheel?...

A couple of corrections:
There is a slider on top of the swingarm, a roller below. The slider wears rapidly, you have to keep an eye on that one. The roller not so much.

There is a cush drive in the OEM wheel.

I agree that the paint Job / colour scheme is very nice! Congratulations on a very nice bike.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not a roller Up top also? I've only ever seen one BB1 once...a friend has one...and he needed a new roller for the top one??...BUt evidently I bow to anyone that has one as I dont....I found a stockist of white nylon piping that was the exact same outer diameter and inner diameter...so he bought a 2 ft length to cut to size and has enough left over for the nest 100 years use...cheap as chips it was also....

Matt....I have seen those mirrors for sale...NOS....you have to search Ebay.it....and then Gilera cx125....and add in your search "Coppia specchi" ….which is Italian for "pair of mirrors".....they wont be the right colour....but they will be new...albeit New Old stock....
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Is there not a roller Up top also? I've only ever seen one BB1 once...a friend has one...and he needed a new roller for the top one??...BUt evidently I bow to anyone that has one as I dont....I found a stockist of white nylon piping that was the exact same outer diameter and inner diameter...so he bought a 2 ft length to cut to size and has enough left over for the nest 100 years use...cheap as chips it was also....

Matt....I have seen those mirrors for sale...NOS....you have to search Ebay.it....and then Gilera cx125....and add in your search "Coppia specchi" ….which is Italian for "pair of mirrors".....they wont be the right colour....but they will be new...albeit New Old stock....

There's a pair of mirrors, minus the indicator lenses, at Centrepoint...
TonyMarjoram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, are the lenses available separately? Cheers, Tony
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way centrepoint break and sell bikes.... The lenses are probably extra cost.. But can only be bought with the mirrors
Bimsb6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn’t the chain run issue resolvable with larger front and rear sprockets ?
Anders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimsb6 wrote:
Wasn’t the chain run issue resolvable with larger front and rear sprockets ?

Yes, if you use a bigger front sprocket you will reduce the wear of the swingarm/chain slider significantlty.
In my OEM seup, I seem to remember replacing the slider after a few tousand kilometers. With the 20t front sprocket, I have used it for years.

But using a 20t front sprocket commands a huge rear one if you don't do anything to the primary gearing. Team pami has a set of primary gears whith a lower ratio. Well worth the investment. Now, I run 20/43 sprockets and end up around OEM gearing.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMarjoram wrote:
Hi there, are the lenses available separately? Cheers, Tony

Paolo of BCP has 3 No. spare lenses for the front indicators...not exactly cheap though...……

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Gemma-indicatore-direzionale-anteriore-Bimota-BB1-Gilera-CX-125-Indicator-346306/223496117879?hash=item3409681e77:g:CaUAAOSwE3BXFfn8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: