Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

The size of my sprocket must be different. Good thing I didn't buy your spare as it would have been too small!
I'm going to take this down to a local machine shop and see what it'll cost to turn one out in aluminium.

brian

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably cost you about 1/2 hr labour
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocketron wrote:
Interesting.

The size of my sprocket must be different. Good thing I didn't buy your spare as it would have been too small!
I'm going to take this down to a local machine shop and see what it'll cost to turn one out in aluminium.

Anythings possible with Bimotas....especially when spares are hard to find so people use other things or get things made different....even if bikes were new there could be differences...Just be sure to include the split locking washer beneath the head of the 8mm bolt....I wouldn't bother with using threadlock on it as I think heat will melt it from the sprocket shaft anyhow...And instead of a mushroom headed bolt I'd use a button head one with a deeper allen socket to tighten it properly....Mushroom head ones can burr up...Alloy should be fine...I'd say steel is better as it would expand and contract with heat the same as the sprocket, the dished ring, the shaft the bolt etc.....and more chance of it staying in place...That chain whipping around there and heat transfer through the shaft from boiling engine oil will generate heat
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is.. $72, seems a little excessive. But it is now a Bimota part Razz
Discussed it at the machine shop and went with a steel part. Thinner.

Need to get the hardware to attach it. Off on a track day over the weekend. Job for next week.

2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeper creepers......how much???....Is the Canadian Dollar so weak?
brian

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Jeeper creepers......how much???....Is the Canadian Dollar so weak?

There’d be 1/2 hr of labour in it @ probably $120/hr for a machine shop plus a little for the material
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely. !/2 hour labour + a little to drill the holes. Also a tiny bit for the material. Ohh don't forget the taxes!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh OK I get that....I suppose I'm just a little spolit in knowing a couple of good old fellows that like to tinker and lathe up a piece of Unobtainium for just "beer Money".....And if they need any help with Bimota related stuff I try my best for them.....Thats the thing with friends and relationships....You kinda forget what things would cost in the "real World" if you dont have them....

Theres one nice old fellow...used to road race, TT etc...78 years of age...Has his own Large Large Workshop...Enough for 100 bikes to fit in...Has lathes of 4 differing sizes....All in Good old cast iron and Army green....and all the other workshop tools and machinery.....He still rents his home that he lives in and needs Beer Money.....hence will make or weld just about anything for beer money.....

My nice "old" fellow makes his own motorbikes, and restores and makes bikes for clients... in a much smaller set-up...but again with all the lathes, pillar drills....blacks of metal, brass, alloy etc...And even a grit blasting/media blasting cabinet, generator and compressor.....He mills fins on blocks of alloy for engine heads.....Its nice to know folk who have quite literally all the tools in the box together with the skills....The first fellow can weld anything...be it steel, ally or titanium....
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacked 3 washers behind the plate to get the sprocket located correctly.

Can't think of any reason not to apply the body work and take it for a spin.

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?....Maybe after a quick spin I'd put Loctite blue on the central bolt...I see you have a split locking washer on the one that fixes to the gearbox sprocket splined shaft.....and maybe best to use same on the 2 outer bolts that are fixed to the sprocket itself....just to be quadruple sure....
DB1 860

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocketron wrote:
Stacked 3 washers behind the plate to get the sprocket located correctly.

Can't think of any reason not to apply the body work and take it for a spin.

Looks good... keep an eye on the two smaller bolts as the heads tend to break off.
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about drilling and safety wiring the three bolts together?
DB1 860

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
What about drilling and safety wiring the three bolts together?

Lock wiring looks cool especially if you can do a neat job, but the problem is because the two outer bolts screw into the wobbly sprocket the heads break off. I ran a strand of lock wire from the centre bolt to outer edge of the alloy plate with a thin washer bent over the edge of the centre bolt and into a groove in the plate.
I was keen for it to not let go as it was being taken up to 9 grand as a race bike at the time.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As discussed, time to take her for a spin. As you can see placed most of the body work on her. Insured her, not too much difficulty but there was some difficulty locating the old girl in the system.
Rolled her out of the shop... and nothing. Wouldn't start.

Rolled her back in and took her clothes off to peer at her carbs. Hummm...

After some tinkering, I could get the rear cylinder to fire. The front cylinder however was not wanting to join in. Strange to me as it had run so well just a couple of month before... please see the video...
Large amounts of fuel at the rear cylinder when the enriching circuit was on, not so much at the front. Seemed very lean at the front.
I'm guessing a little but it seems when I stored the bike, I drained and cleaned the carbs. When I first re-started the bike all was good. Once the fuel had time to sit in the carbs for a few weeks all the rubber bits began to disintegrate. The front carb starter jet o-ring has fallen to bits. It seems like before I'm going to get on the road again, I'm going to have to do a little rebuild
https://store.bevelheaven.com/Package-Deals-Kits/Dellorto-PHF-or-PHM-Major-Rebuild-Kit-Special/
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking really good Ron.

Aaah, the beauty of our modern rubbish fuels. Rubber and plastic don't seem to like them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: