Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Db5 gauges melting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Pablo DB5 wrote:
My gauges are like new now, finally I used some gasoline to remove all the rubber coating with no problems, I have even been able not to delete the logos of fuel/lights/indicator/oil Very Happy
Really happy as it was the only thing in my bimota that looked crap.......

thanks for your advices.

Make sure you clean the gasoline off really well, otherwise it will eat the plastic

Sure, thanks for advising! Very Happy
GastonDB5

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Sticky DB5 instrument assembly - fix as new (high hopes) Reply with quote

Just a quick update for all regarding sticky instrument assembly.
Today, I've reached out to the company in US that does high quality restoration on Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lambos and so on, specifically on refinishing plastic surfaces with a "silky" soft touch better quality coating along with new markings/icons (oil, neutral etc.).

If instrument panel cover can be detached by removing surrounding hex screws, that would greatly reduce the cost of services. I believe this could be done for about $150 and I will post the response as soon as I hear more.

In the meantime, if anyone knows the proper procedure on how to remove the top cover without breaking anything Smile, please share that information.

My Bimota is a 2005 DB5 Mille with 1,100 miles on it and this sticky issue drives me mad.

Thank you.
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PabloDB5,

The orig. owner mounted the TransLogic dash but I can tell you it takes some time to connect and solder all the wires. I would have made an adapter harness personally but NBD really.

GastonDB5,

I started to "attempt" to separate my old gauge body halves but they might be glued and I didn't want to damage them since I was giving it away. I pulled all the micro screws but the case seemed firmly assembled.
GastonDB5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
PabloDB5,

The orig. owner mounted the TransLogic dash but I can tell you it takes some time to connect and solder all the wires. I would have made an adapter harness personally but NBD really.

GastonDB5,

I started to "attempt" to separate my old gauge body halves but they might be glued and I didn't want to damage them since I was giving it away. I pulled all the micro screws but the case seemed firmly assembled.

quikduk, Thank you. I was patiently awaiting for this type of reply. You saved me a bundle of time and frustration. Turns out that the company I've contacted does not offer soft-touch coating since that type of finish eventually turns into a mess.

They also need parts disassembled especially electronics in order to re-coat the surface with a fresh matte black finish.

I also did not get a definite $ quote but rather "send us what you got and we will get back to you". Not reassuring enough for me.

Here is their web site:
https://stickynomore.com/

P.S. I agree with you about making a conversion harness with mil-spec connectors. That would be great to have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: