Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 died when riding today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddd

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side stand switch being connected or not makes no difference to starting the bike....its a safety cut out ONCE the bike is started IF you put it into gear and try and pull away it should cut the motor to stop you riding off with the sidestand still down.....as you dont want this down on left hand bends.....Dont forget...we all start the bike when its on its side stand to warm up first....The clutch switch connecter is behind the clocks on the DB6...so remove the 2 small 4mm bolts holding the tiny plastic Perspex clock front panel....the piece immediately above the headlight at the front...it fits into 4mm rubber wellnuts…..Clutch ALWAYS has to be pulled on a DB5 or Db6 IF the clutch switch is working....so it must be engaging if its starting when the clutch is pulled....I removed mine as the tiny metal strip that engaged the micro switch went awol…..and I ran a loop for continuity in the connecting end that feeds into the clutch switch behind the clock fascia panel....Hopefully thats clear....Keep the sidestand switch if you can.....its handy for safety...but often the plunger gets bunged up/stuck...so Spray clean with carb or brake cleaner and lube it up...NO grease though...that collects road grime and gets cloggy

You should be able to start the bike when in gear...IF the sidestand is up...retracted...and the clutch is pulled
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddd

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I used this info and checked the clutch interlock switch as well as the neutral safety switch and both are operating correctly. I also had already pulled the sidestand switch and then realized I needed to short the contacts in the harness so that the NSS didn't kill the engine when I put the bike into gear.

So far, this appears to be working OK so I will leave it alone for now. I can always put the switch back but I have never had one on any prior bike and I always check my sidestand before I take off so it is one less thing to fail on the road.

I'll keep an eye on the CILS just in case I need to take that one out, however I think that is more important as a "forget-me-not" safety than the sidestand switch as once I am sitting on the bike, running or not, the sidestand is up as my feet are on the ground.
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add this funny anecdote just because we are talking about the SSS lately.

I used to have a heavily-built Moriwaki GPz 550. One night on the way home, I needed fuel so I stopped. I pulled up next to the pump, turned the ignition off and...stepped right off the bike as my hands held the handlebar and the bike slowly fell over onto the left side with me guiding it down as I watched.

I had forgotten to put the sidestand DOWN as I was too tired, especially to be riding...lol. The switch wouldn't have helped here.

Neither the bike nor I sustained any damage, save for a slightly bruised ego on my part.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do hope someone was watching...They must have thought you were the most casual uncaring biker ever.....

Had a similar one on my first ever bike...a Yamaha "IT" blue DT125LC...the first of the first.....drum brakes front and rear...my pride and joy.....Scrapped just enough money together by beg stealing and borrowing....Which left me with some £30 for bike gear....Helmet was mandatory so that was £25 gone...( a real quality piece of tat...but new at least)...and £5 on gloves from a ski shop....it was summer so they were discounted in price....I'd been riding a fair bit and "atuned" to it....But it was mandatory jeans and trainers....as I had nowt else....Pulled up at a T-junction to go right....Positioned myself on the white line...the high point crest of the road...Right foot over the back brake lever as I'd been taught....Lent slightly left to drop bike down and move left foot onto the ground......slow motion fall to the left....couldn't get my left foot off the serrated footpeg...Why?...My frigging Nike trainer shoe lace was wrapped tight around the gear lever firmly strapping me to the bike..."TIMBER" I could hear myself thinking as what seemed like an eternity until I fell to the ground...both hands on the bars and both feet on the footpegs....If there were any bystanders they must have thought I'd fallen asleep...or lost the use of my legs.....Next paypacket purchase was motorbike boots...Well...actually the one after next....as I had to buy bits to fix the broken bits from the fall first....
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your DB6 is fixed then...for the time being...I had a double issue with my DB6R a couple of years back.....pulled it out from winter storage...good battery...but NOTHING on the starter button....tried allsorts swapping bits over...even a new battery...Nothing.....Parked it up in disgust....Later...with more time and patience...>I noticed the metal petal that is supposed to push and action the clutch interlock switch was AWOL...it just wasn't there anymore...so pulling the clutch to try and start did nothing...I traced it back...pulled it off and interloped the wiring....still nothing...parked it up again.....Waiting for more patience....Then...with the telephone aid of someone else on here with more patience and electrical skills...I wired in a new starter switch domino assembly....Hey presto...fired up....thus a break in the wiring somewhere I care not...It runs.....

I still pull the clutch but still have the sidestand safety switch in place...as I like to warm the bikes up before riding off and putting on its sidestand whilst I get ready is handy...…

I have a friend who SWORE that his bike Would not start if the sidestand was down.....EVEN if he pulled the clutch in...and it was in neutral....Nonsense I replied....Show me.....So he put UP the sidestand...checked it was in neutral...pulled the clutch and started and warmed it up...OK....Now repeat with the sidestand in the down position I asked...>Again....He swore it would not start....so he put the sidestand down.....Stood nonchalantly on the left hide side most casually....Pulled the clutch and confidently prodded the starter button ...because of course...Nothing was going to happen....The bike did not have its End can on at the time....And yes...It was a Bimota ...All I can say is Gold Black....Ahem….The look of horror on his face when it roared into life was most amusing.....No words were said...nor did they need to be....his Shocked expression of dis-belief and horror...and my reverse expression of "knowing satisfaction" spoke louder volumes than the bike or words could ever have done so....No names...thats the pack Drill.... Laughing Laughing
2bims

darn double darn

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

ddd

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my girlfriend at the time, now wife, was behind me in her truck...and she had a good laugh. At least someone benefited...
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every chick loves a clown...especially such a casual one....it evidently did you no harm if she still married you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: