Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

£20k DB7 in S.Africa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: £20k DB7 in S.Africa Reply with quote

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/centurion/brand-new-bimota-db7/1005166457890910997531309

Odd where bikes end up!
to be fair the current FX rate is ZAR 18.7 to £. 3 years ago it was ZAR 24 to £ so would seem like £15.5 k. Quite why money markets think ZAR is a better bet than £ given the famous political and economic stability of S.Afrcia God only knows!!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working in South Africa in 1996-1999....the exchange rate was 6 Rand to £1....And the local S.Africans would buy Pounds off me for 8 Rands to the £....so that maybe one day if they had to leave...they had some English Money that they could take out with them (You couldn't leave with South African money at the time)...so dont be thinking about how bad the exchange rate is now.....I'd have sold £1000's of Pounds to them ...but as I was there temporary until the Dam I was building was complete.....It would have been impossible for me to spend the south African money....we only had 4 days off a month and TOPS expenditure for those holiday periods was £200....And that was living like a King in Penthouse apartments in Durban, Jo'burg or Cape Town.....Or trips to Sun City and staying at the top Hotel of the 4 there....You really had to work hard to even give the stuff away....It was more than I could drink or eat over a 4 day period....I'd have bought Gold krugerrands with the money...But...you weren't allowed to take those out either....and there was no way I was doing the "blood Diamond" package, swallow....eject downwards....wash and clean routine.... Shocked Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen that they reference the "carbon frame" and its lightness and tautness.....the latter I can believe as its Not a carbon frame on this one....typical sales pitch....bidding it incorrectly upon its true merits....
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working in South Africa in 1996-1999....the exchange rate was 6 Rand to £1....And the local S.Africans would buy Pounds off me for 8 Rands to the £....so that maybe one day if they had to leave...they had some English Money that they could take out with them (You couldn't leave with South African money at the time)...so dont be thinking about how bad the exchange rate is now.....I'd have sold £1000's of Pounds to them ...but as I was there temporary until the Dam I was building was complete.....It would have been impossible for me to spend the south African money....we only had 4 days off a month and TOPS expenditure for those holiday periods was £200....And that was living like a King in Penthouse apartments in Durban, Jo'burg or Cape Town.....Or trips to Sun City and staying at the top Hotel of the 4 there....You really had to work hard to even give the stuff away....It was more than I could drink or eat over a 4 day period....I'd have bought Gold krugerrands with the money...But...you weren't allowed to take those out either....and there was no way I was doing the "blood Diamond" package, swallow....eject downwards....wash and clean routine.... Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: