Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Oil temperature gauge DB2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rOLLI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Oil temperature gauge DB2 Reply with quote

Dear all,
I upgraded my DB with an original Oil temperature gauge from Veglia, with orignal sensor from Ducati, as it was used in 900SS. This means, the sensor is integrated in this second oil filter .

My problem is, that the temperature value is arround 140-150 degrees in an average. Never goes much down.
I checked this oil cooler, is working right. Might this be a problem with oil pump ?
Or are this temperatures normal ?

kind regards Rolli
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What specification is your engine Roli?...Is it a standard Ducati 900ss running with Mikuni 38 carbs?

I also fitted a vegila oil temp gauge on my DB2....with the brass thermistor fitted into the Second oil filter nylon gauze at the bottom of the Right hand side crankcase......When hot after a good run.....it is 120-130...BUT...I am running high comp pistons on a 944 big bore kit and stage 2 cams and keihin FCR 41 flatslides......and large bore pipes and open titanium moto corse end cans.....up from some 76bhp to 95bhp......I have afriend with same db2 running same engine mods...and his bike has a secondary oil cooler as well as the lower standard one...it runs cooler.

The oil temperature gauge runs off "resistance" when heated....allowing more current through when it gets hotter.....its quite a basic device.....They fitted these to Ducati 900ss...and also Ducati 851 and 888 bikes....but there may be a difference between them....When you said you tested it...how did you test it?...Did you place it in a cup of boiling water and it showed 100 degrees?...….What gauge of wire did you fit it with to the clocks?...and where did you wire it into the electrical system....if its wired in after the red/rec..it may be picking up a charge from the reg/rec and boosting the current giving a false high reading.....Because its based upon electrical resistance...the wiring used to connect it to the white vegila temp gauge...the wire also has an inbuilt resistance...if you have used low grade very thin wire there could be a difference in the reading of more charge going through....When did you last change the oil and main oil filter?...Did you change the nylon gauze/plastic filter on the back of the brass unit when you fitted the new brass thermistor oil temp sender?.....I've also seen some people use anodised aluminium brake line banjos in the oil lines that feed the heads between the cylinders and back into the crankcase....Brake line banjo bolts are NOT the right size hole...its a 1/4 the size diameter of a proper oil line banjo....and thus these lines can get blocked and not feed properly....you can buy very cheaply and oil temp gauge that fits into the engine instead of the plastic oil filler plug on the RHS...these have a probe that reaches and dips into the engine casing...and would give you a temperature reading as well as the dash mounted vegila one.....Or simply run the engine up to temperature...and use a normal thermometer to dip into the engine oil....once you have removed the oil filler plug....I would decided if the vegila is reading correctly before worrying about anything else...

These measure up to 300 degrees Celsius....and you should be able to undo the side fairing 2 bolts and reach down and undo the oil filler plug...and push this in after a ride....please...with the engine switched off.....but hot is fine
rOLLI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks steven,
yes, i run the mikuni 38 with 944 blocks. I read many things about veglia, could happen, there is the real problem...
Next thing is hanging the oil cooler a bit higher. And I have second clock and second sensor ... roland
rOLLI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the fault : Sensor !

Sensor works fine until 100degree, but then goes into extrem condition. Real 110 degree, this old sensor already produces 130 degree on clock. .... new sensor works fine ... average temperature arround 100 +-

kind regards
Roland
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great....Sensors are designed for a range of temperatures....if only say 70-100....if temperature is over...it gives a false reading....maybe you bought a sensor for a 50cc motorcycle??...100 degrees is fine...mine does run 115-120....BUT...I have the original oil cooler and all of the engine and carb changes...So I expect it to run hotter.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: