Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 & DB1 SR Oil Cooler Plumbing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: DB1 & DB1 SR Oil Cooler Plumbing Reply with quote

I have fitted a DB1SR 2:1 Exhaust Pipe to my DB1 but have an issue with the upper oil cooler line from the engine fouling the pipe. Does anyone have a pic of the DB1SR oil cooler plumbing I can view for guidance - presumably there is a 90° bend fitting in lieu of a straight fitting similar to the Ducati F1 shown in that bikes manual

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/pp196/nigeltaylor1/0/06032e1e-62a6-4c0c-b97c-de47c3e5c3b8-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/IMG]
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the first part of that oil line is a retro fit oil temp thermistor? You have an engine oil line temp gauge fitted...could this not be fitted at the oil cooler side to give you more flex and bypass the header?.....Its not ideal having it touching the header but it should be OK....I've ran duc engines where the braided oil cooler line touches the header.....or buy a new specific set with a slight crank in the connection
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you comments and suggestion 2 Bims. The assembly is per the parts manual exploded view. The lower connection is the supply line with the pressure switch fitted into the Al block. The upper line (not shown) is the return with the temperature sensing element fitted into a Al similar block. The interference is more than just a gentle rub; I'm worried any vibration could cause the fitting into the casing to crack and fail. I've done a search of Bimota DB1 and DB1 SR pictures to see if I can figure out what is the norm for a DB1 SR; unfortunately there isn't one as there seem to be a number of exhaust variants out there and none I can find with the view I am after. I'm not even sure if the hoses I have are original - the swagge at the tail of the fitting is quite long causing the foul.

I'll just have to pop out to a hydraulic shop and see what is available - fortunately there is a company over here that does stainless fittings that look close to what I want. I've just got to figure out if the oil cooler connections are a metric hydraulic thread or BSP. In the sizes concerned the thread forms are similar.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly sure they are metric fittings. I had new oil cooler hoses made up when I rebuilt my DB1 a few years ago (took the old ones in for the shop to replicate). I will see if I can find the invoice as I seem to remember they wrote down the size of the fittings.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crankcase tappings are M14 (Female) x 1.5, the two adapters that go in the crankcases are M14 x 1.5 (M) / M18 x 1.5 (F) and M14 x 1.5 (M) / M18 x 1.5 (M). The oil cooler ends are 1/2" BSP Hydraulic. Rocketron pics show standard DB1 set out, my current hoses have the same sawges on them.

I'm getting there, I have found some stainless fittings that are a bit shorter than the existing ones, they look like they will give me enough flex in the hose not to foul the exhaust - a dry fit up required first.

thanks for all the feedback.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had custom headers and mufflers made and ended up with the bottom oil line hard up against the header.

I moved that line to the top inlet/outlet [not sure] and had a custom made oil line for the bottom inlet/outlet do the 90 deg turn and up to the other side of the cooler.

The bike has been raced and road ridden with this set up and has shown no signs of being a problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: