Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Out on the road again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Out on the road again Reply with quote

Hello again!

Thought I should try to post something, as the BB part of the forum is not so busy these days...

I have been out in the woods on my Gasgas enduro bike the last years. However, this summer I have some ambitions towards riding my Supermono on the roads.
I dragged it out of the dusty storage the other day, changed the oil and brake fluid and took it for a spin. Actually, quite fun!

It seems to be quite intact, today I will do a 200km round trip to Oslo. Hope it all goes well.

I had to remove the Scitsu rev counter to replace the battery. This is usually a "send-it-in-and-pay" operation, but I decided to have a go at it myself this time. Opened it up and found the battery. Ordered a new battery on ebay. Will see how it goes when the new battery arrives.

I planned to include a picture, but cannot get it to display my image link.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many BB owners on the forum.
Personally i think they re an fantastic looking bike !!
Pictures are always GGRREEAT!!!

Load them onto a web photo host site, copy the URL and post it on the forum.
If you get it wrong we can always use the URLlink to see the picture on the hot site, plus will give you ideas as to why it did not display.

All else fails, PM your emaol and you can send it to me and i will post
brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the ride goes well Anders. The more maintenance you can do yourself, the better off you will be. As Vort says, pics are most welcome here.... shout out if you need help to post
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ride went well. No problems whatsoever, apart from the engine getting very hot when riding at walking pace inside the city during rush hour.

As this used to be my trackday bike, I have done some modifications to save wheight, e.g. removed the fan and the switch controlling it. Hence the high temperatures. I saw 120 deg on the Scitsu temp instrument, I don't know how accurate it is though.

The bike wheighs in at approx 150kg with some fuel in the tank, perhaps 158-160kg all filled up.

I always do my own service and maintenance on my bikes. I don't rebuild rear shocks (nitrogen etc), but I do almost everything else.

Here are some photos:
(I hope they are visible)

stockcar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks cracking
brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full marks for the photo posting mate. Your bike looks great, glad the ride went well. No indicators or mirrors on the bike, must have more lenient police over there Rolling Eyes
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Full marks for the photo posting mate. Your bike looks great, glad the ride went well. No indicators or mirrors on the bike, must have more lenient police over there Rolling Eyes

I have a minuscule mirror on the LH bar end. (We ride on the "other" side here, you know).
The mirror is mandatory, indicators are not (as I interpret the rules, at least).

We are rarely checked by the police for things like this. They are more into checking speed or other behaviour in the traffic.

At the moment, my dash is only a Scitsu temp gauge and a manometer for oil pressure. The rev counter (also Scitsu) is on my workshop bench, awaiting the new battery. As mentioned, this used to be my trackday bike.
I guess I have to reinstall the Sigma bike speedometer I used previously to know my travelling speed.

I have collected components for making a stand-alone GPS speedometer and rev counter, based on a small single-board computer (similar to Arduino), but haven't got around to make one yet. Since I plan to ride more on the road, I have to get my act together (a nice winter project).
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put the PVM wheels on ? Are they made for the BB! or did you swap the disc/chain around yourself ?

Track days ? Is it the standard motor ?
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Did you put the PVM wheels on ? Are they made for the BB! or did you swap the disc/chain around yourself ?

Track days ? Is it the standard motor ?

Yes, I put on the PVM wheels. Bought them secondhand. They are from a Ducati TT2. As far as I know, there are no "drop-in" wheels for the bb1, apart from the Marvic Pentas they sold as "racing optional wheels". I didn't fancy the Pentas for road use, the late Robert Dunlop had some bad experiences there.

Of course the TT2 has a left-hand chain, so I had to do a little adaption. Made up a sprocket carrier and put it where the rear disc used to sit on the right hand side. Made up a new disc and mounted it in the sprocket carrier bolt holes on the left hand side. Lots of work, but worth the effort. Lightwheight wheels transforms the handling of this little bike.

The motor isn't exactly standard, but not heavily tuned either.
I have a high-comp forged piston and 2x36mm Dell'Orto carbs. Lower primary gearing and a 20t sprocket to lift the chain off the swingarm pivot.
And a lightened flywheel. Plus a high-volume return oil pump.

Last edited by Anders on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the dellorto make the carburetion / running any smoother ? ( Test rode one years ago and remember it being very rough . Still would love one though )

Also see you have an ISR master and 6 pot brake .
Anders

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Does the dellorto make the carburetion / running any smoother ? ( Test rode one years ago and remember it being very rough . Still would love one though )

Also see you have an ISR master and 6 pot brake .

I didn't feel it was very rough as original either, and it still carburates well with the Dell'Ortos. Of course it vibrates, but there are no rough spots through the rev range. Air filtration is by two separate foam filters, strapped outside Keihin velocity stacks.

And of course it pulls better than OEM. That is also helped by my home-made exhaust system, which is more free-breathing than the OEM, but still only 98dB.

I have done quite a few changes to the chassis to get it to my liking.
The ISR calipper and master pump is one thing easily visible. I have also replacedd the OEM Brembo disk for a Brembo cast iron one (off a Ducati 748R or similar). The single OEM Brembo disk/caliper setup frankly isn't good enough, so a better calipper/disk or twin disks is the way to go. I know many go for twin disks, but I wanted as low unsprung / rotating mass as possible.

Other changes include a fully adjustable Wilbers rear shock, home-made rearsets, robbymoto clip-ons, decent lights etc. I have also removed the isolastic bushings in the handlebars, pegs and swingarm pivot, as they gave the chassis a somewhat vague feeling (in my humble opinion).

The plastics are thinner fibreglass items, sprayed yellow by yours truly.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large deep rubbers on the original footpegs I thought were an odd "solution"....but even more the rubber inbetween the clip-ons on the front forks making the bars seem loose as they moved around...I dont think I could live with that part...But you say the swingarm had rubbers in there also?? whereabouts?....are you now telling us that the swingarm could move around as well??….that surely couldn't help with chain alignment/drive etc etc...
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large deep rubbers on the original footpegs I thought were an odd "solution"....but even more the rubber inbetween the clip-ons on the front forks making the bars seem loose as they moved around...I dont think I could live with that part...But you say the swingarm had rubbers in there also?? whereabouts?....are you now telling us that the swingarm could move around as well??….that surely couldn't help with chain alignment/drive etc etc...
Anders

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

The swingarm pivot is fixed to the motor. The motor is mounted in isolastic bushes to the frame to fight vibration. There are also some isolastic bushes between frame and swingarm. I have replaced those with POM bushes at the expense of a slight increase in vibration level.
Anders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regard most of my bikes as "work in progress" (for years). I'm aware that some of you like to keep the Bimota just as it left the factory, so please bear with me.

I am now in the process of setting up the bb1 with a Ignitech http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2_race/dccdip2_race.htm race ignition. Mostly to get a reliable rev limiter, but also just for the fun of it. It provides shift light, quickshift and other "race" functions.
I have used in for a few hundred kilometers and it seems OK. I did also buy a secondhand Cordona quickshift sensor, but I haven't really been able to test that yet.
http://www.cordona.no/images/stories/virtuemart/product/Strain_Gauge_Swi_4d8f8b1b5f4fe.jpg

I ran into a problem with petrol supply, so I have now bought a pressure regulator to reduce the high pressure from the FI pump in the tank down to a pressure suitable for carbs in a controlled manner. The earlier design was just a "Y" between feed, return and carb supply.
http://www.officinamalpassi.it/en/carburetter-fuel-pressure-regulators/converter-baypass/30044-detail.html

All these mods are under way, but I have no images as of now.

I was also lucky enough to grab a brand new Bimota exhaust pipe on ebay the other day, the one I got made when converting to monoposto is twice as heavy as the OEM. Almost one kg saved Smile Perhaps I will rework my DIY silencer also, I think I should be able to save a kg there as well.

I also have some vague plans about a composite seat subframe, or perhaps one made out of alu. I have to do some calculations to see how much wheight I can shed off. The same goes for the headlight / instrument holder. I cannot really see the point in making these out of steel.

I have also added a Sigma 1812 speedometer and a new Scitsu rev counter, as the old one was damaged beyond DIY repair. And I have broken the old Scitsu temp gauge. As I said, work in progress...

The goal is a 150kg bike (full tank).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: