Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 Low Fuel Sender
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, for reference, the bolt spacing on those Guzzi senders is 40mm, don't know what the thread size is for the nut though, wonder if it's the same as my Cagiva mito... The Bimota Flange is M16x1 i believe.
Edit:
Went and roughly measured my Mito sender - looks like a M20x1.5? thread, looks like the Guzzi sender is a slightly longer version of the Mito one.
firststrike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Fuel level sender Reply with quote

Mine was leaking like a good one, took fuel tank off and removed the pump /sender assembly which was in a terrible state. The fuel level sender was in bits. The leaking petrol was actually through the fuel level sender.
I have bought a R6 sender unit which hopefully i will fit this week, i will post up pictures when completed. Looks like there will have to be a bit of modifying to the base plate but this is no problem for me as i have a fabrication/ machine shop at my disposal. Laughing
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6 sender spacing is 36mm, and to get enough clearance for the lump on the R6 sender you'll have to grind enough plastic out that you'll expose the brass threaded inserts, which is not great.
Depending how much clearance under the sender area you have, am adaptor plate with a gsxr/sv650 sender will work, unfortunately on my SB6 you run into the carbs...
firststrike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gammaboy,
i have already studied what is required, my bike is a YB9Sri, i have to make an adaptor plate in s/s to cater for the o ring from the R6 and just increase the hole size in the Bimota s/s mounting plate assembly along with elongating the R6 mounting holes and sorted. Wink
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firststrike wrote:
Hi Gammaboy,
i have already studied what is required, my bike is a YB9Sri, i have to make an adaptor plate in s/s to cater for the o ring from the R6 and just increase the hole size in the Bimota s/s mounting plate assembly along with elongating the R6 mounting holes and sorted. Wink

I contemplated making an adaptor plate to spin it 90* to keep from grinding into the brass inserts. May still go that way with mine.
firststrike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Fuel level sender Reply with quote

All sorted now, R6 sender unit fitted and working great. Fuel light comes on with around 4.5 litres of fuel left in the tank. When my son gives me some technical assistance in how to post pictures i'll put them up. Very Happy Very Happy We can design and manufacture anything but to get pictures to move from one location to another- defeated. Laughing Laughing
firststrike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a series of pictures showing the modifications for R6 fuel level sender.

Rough template
Hole punched out of stainless.
Check for size.
Tacked and TIG welded in place.
R6 fuel level sender in place.
Inside view of R6 fuel level sender.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahhhh, that's why it works so well for you - it's not such a great unit for those of us that need to screw it into a plastic tank.
firststrike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gammaboy, yeh that could be a bit tricky trying to fit the sender directly to the plastic tank, not un-doable though. Wink
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firststrike wrote:
Hi Gammaboy, yeh that could be a bit tricky trying to fit the sender directly to the plastic tank, not un-doable though. Wink

Yeah, been looking at a couple of ways to do it - on the SB6 the proximity to the carb balancing nipple on the right most carb is the issue... Otherwise I'd have sorted this by now!
powermaxr7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Jauge de Moto Guzzi monte sur le support origine bimota yb11 Reply with quote

Bonjour, j'ai testé pour vous, la Jauge de Moto Guzzi monte sur le support origine bimota yb11

référence Guzzi : 29103050-Z

Je n'arrive pas a charger les images sur le forum, si quelqu'un sait je lui envoient

Seb
arnie2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: YB6EI Low Fuel Sender Reply with quote

bimotabob wrote:
I put an or o-ring in mine and replaced a gasket i think, was years ago when it leaks as you say out the wires.

Mine has a brass pipe which is attached possibly by capillary action brazing to the cast aluminium looking housing. They then slid a reed switch up inside the brass fitting which has the other end brazed closed. The reed switch was positioned and the brass pipe was crimped which also stops the float from sliding down to the bottom.

I have attached similar Motoguzzi fuel sensors photos.
Would be great to confirm what actually Bimota uses as I haven't had time to sort.
The other $50,000 question is: does/did the fuel level come on when the desired amount of petrol remains??

Mine needs modifying on the Furano, comes on when 6 liters approx remain. Yes it works but not very helpful.
Will sort it and post details some time as have new tiny reed switch for the job incase i bust mine, ideally a new sensor be better.

Similar but not 100%, flange looks same.

Quite similar also, on mine the flange does pull apart and comes off leaving the sensor like that with black sliding float.

While I was replacing the YB6EI fuel pump I thought I would see if I could find out why what I thought must be the low fuel level warning light on the dash was not working. Found the LED had failed and sourced a replacement from a local electronics shop. However the intank sender tested open circuit in the low level position. I assume there is a reed switch that has failed. My sender is similar to Bimotabobs. Haven’t been able to find anything like it online. Does anyone else have any more information? If not I guess I will continue to use the trip meter carefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: