Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I had her together again, I was stunned how pretty she is. Even though she's 33 she still looks stunning. What attracted me to her all those years ago.
She has developed a few flaws as she's aged Razz .

When I had her on the stand running poorly I noticed a drip of oil running down her backside.

I pulled the rubber cover back on the wiring connection and saw the oil coming out the wire connections.

If I pressed on the switch plunger after removing it from the case, oil squirted out around the wires.

https://ducati-gowanloch.com/shop/electrical/neutral-switch-ducati-electronica-ignition/

If it arrives slowly I'll just slip a bolt in the hole so I can run the motor....
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old and new. Can see the new has been sealed a lot better than the old switch.

Carbs are all refreshed now. Was interesting to see that the front cylinder carb was a lot more fouled than the rear. Opening up the rear was almost like looking at a new carb. Maybe the heat from the tighter area? Rubber bits were equally hard in the rear carb. Seems locally Shell gas in the highest octane has no ethanol, suspect I'll be using that exclusively.

Got everything basically together again, and it started right up. Almost idles too, give me some time to adjust them and it might idle well.

No leaks from the neutral switch either. Busy tomorrow, maybe the next day on the road?
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud here. TZ250 powerjets look to have a similar wire arrangement to your plunger switch. As a bit of preventative maintenance, we fold the wires over and cable tie them to the body. That way, you can't pull them out of the body by tugging on the wires.

It might be worth doing the same on this switch.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally back on the road!

Some time spent getting a good idle. Front cylinder was just about perfect but the rear wouldn't idle. Exact opposite of what it was doing before the rebuild. Took the rear carb off again and found some crap under the idle jet. Cleaned everything up and the rear started running too.
Still could do some more adjustments but seemed good enough to take her for a spin.
Somethings were familiar. The jangle of the disks around the gauges. Somewhat heavy steering, big inputs to change direction. I thought the steering damper was too tight. Turned it while riding and nearly fell off as the damper was basically locked Razz. Stopped and wound it off. I'm going to remove it just to see what it feels like without it.
Damn that side stand is dangerous. I'm going to research how to turn it into a non spring loaded stand.
Need too, to adjust the ergonomics of various controls. Brake and shift in particular. The front brake is really good, amazing really. Have to rev the motor more than I remember but times have changed, it's no 2015 R1 in acceleration Smile.
I remembered it being very small, either I've shrunk or my memory is crap. Not bad seating position really. The engine is smooth and strong too. I do recall also it being reluctant to brake and steer at the same time. But the change of direction is truly ponderous. I'm really disappointed in that. No way I'd want to do a track day. Hoping the steering damper is the problem. Then it could be the tires, the old Michelins were really triangulated.

Yea back to being 31 years old again Very Happy

Hummm looking at the pic I posted... maybe first try to spin the rear axle to the higher position, might speed up the steering...
JorgeDB1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

On the road again Very Happy
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocketron wrote:
[
Hummm looking at the pic I posted... maybe first try to spin the rear axle to the higher position, might speed up the steering...

Back axle is already in the "fast steering" position... Throw some fresh tyres at it, whip the damper off and see how it is. Head bearings aren't too tight are they?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

've ran mine without a damper on the steering...coz when I bought it there wasn't one...didn't seem to need one...its not like I was trying to break a new land speed record.....and yup....spindle at low setting thus set up for light front end already.....
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it for riding season for me here. On to skiing season!

As suggested I'm going to send these off to be ceramic coated. Hopefully next year that will keep the heat away from the fairing belly.

Those of you who may have experience with these pipes will know they don't just fall off once you've got all the fasteners removed.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting them off is the easy bit, the fun starts when you put them back on Laughing
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done the steering head bearings on my DB1 and also changed the oil in the steering damper... the action in the damper certainly feels smoother now.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I realized a few weeks back, the steering damper is probably gummed up inside just like the suspension was.
Was easy or difficult to disassemble? Suggestions for fluid and volume of?
DB1 860

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the caps on each end screw off allowing you to pull it apart... clean it out and fill it up with fork oil.
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gently tried to remove this shim. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove it? I was thinking of heating it and again trying to slide it off.

Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiing is winding down, the track bike is prepped for the up coming season. On to the DB1!
Ceramic coating all done. It's a little fragile, I've got to be really careful handling it. Scratches very easily.

Installation went pretty easily. The key for me was removing the rightside foot peg bracket. Once that was out of the way lining up everything went much easier, Might have been better to remove the left one. Re-attaching the rear master cylinder wasn't easy but not impossible obviously.

brian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Where did you get the ceramic coating done Ron?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: